Vols Finally Have a QB

We have found our quarterback.Player open,ball gets to him when needed.Not hopelessly overthrown or too late.The offense was spirited.Events in the game,no one quit playing.There is more than just hope for the rest.of this year.Those who still say gloom and doom,bad coaches,bad players,no morale,please just get the hell away from this site!Just because your life sucks,do not try to convey your lousy existance to us.GBO

a lot of pre-snap or single read stuff. didnt really go thru progressions much. still better than what was originally back there. didnt see the ability to run away from the defender. thinks tennessee's definition of dual-threat needs to be examined. played a really good first half under the circumstances! need more speed at wr to combat the blitz/ man coverage combo.

I don't want to rain on Gaurantano's parade and I genuinely wish him well but three moments stood out last night:

9 seconds left in the 1st half 75 yards to go Maurer threw two hail marys with no fear of an interception ruining his personal stats.

Yet late on 3rd and I think 17, Gaurantano scambled, sure he would have done his check downs, but hey what about a hail mary?

Last drive 1st goal on the 5 Gaurantano didn't look like "punching it in" and 43 -21 would have looked much more reflective to the football world and future recruits.

Again I wish him all the best he has been so brave but the above stood out for me

GREAT EFFORT LAST NIGHT BOYS

Young Mauer gave it all he had. He just needed some help. Tennessee has the horses but is going to have to put 4 quarters together. I was proud of the Vols through most of the half. Had they not given up those last points before half, it would have been a different game.

We do not have the horses

My biggest concern is can the O-line, TEs ,and RBs can keep him healthy enough to play.
Florida, UGA and Bama have the best front 7s in conference. The OL will be fine and build some confidence next week against State. This team could finish 6-6 as long as Maurer improves every week. Our defense is too vulnerable for our offense to come away empty handed.

We do not have the horses
Need depth I agree and a defensive line overhaul. Freshman O-line made some mistakes, completely expected throughout the year. BM had the team on fire for a bit, if we had any kind of pass rush and kept GA from those late first half points we may have the lead at half. GA is a great team and wore us down as expected. Secondary is catching heat but Fromm is a NFL type guy it seems and he had 5+seconds to throw.

My biggest concern on defense besides lack of depth is they still can’t get a play call in or line up right sometimes. Most frustrating thing of all this year is watching a defense think too much. Just let them play.

Reactions: bullpen1
Need depth all around Offense, play everyone here on out , looked good just got beat by experience and depth. Play calling was good, not great, but good. They keep focusing on fundamentals and the Offense will be fine. Defense on the other hand, just needs to get off the field, that comes with depth as well.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I didn't watch the second half (more important things to do), but when I checked the scores this morning the Vols still had 14 points. Fromm's q.b. rating was in the 90s, Maurer's was in the 40s. I'll agree that Maurer looked good in the first half, but apparently not so good in the second. That Georgia scored 42 points doesn't surprise me, but what happened to the Vol offense?

I didn't watch the second half (more important things to do), but when I checked the scores this morning the Vols still had 14 points. Fromm's q.b. rating was in the 90s, Maurer's was in the 40s. I'll agree that Maurer looked good in the first half, but apparently not so good in the second. That Georgia scored 42 points doesn't surprise me, but what happened to the Vol offense?
missed assignments, they weren’t on the same page, guys got tired, UGA made critical adjustments and played championship football the second half. They ran when they wanted to. UT freshmen made freshmen mistakes.

Reactions: bullpen1
a lot of pre-snap or single read stuff. didnt really go thru progressions much. still better than what was originally back there. didnt see the ability to run away from the defender. thinks tennessee's definition of dual-threat needs to be examined. played a really good first half under the circumstances! need more speed at wr to combat the blitz/ man coverage combo.

You are correct. Quick reads fo sho, but most throws were confident and on time. Has good wheels, but held the ball just slightly too long on several occasions. I believe he could have made a few plays with his feet.
Georgia is elite. They settled into our game plan and locked it down after 1.5Qtrs. lLord knows they didn't have any film on that type of QB play.

UGA locked down the BM pre snap quick read strategy with their talent and experience at every position. Had the halves been flipped and we had mad our offensive plays in 2nd half, UGA would have been up 30-0, Neyland would've emptied, and VN would be calling for everyone's head this AM.

Oh, and JT Shrout would be the most popular player on our team.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Young Mauer gave it all he had. He just needed some help. Tennessee has the horses but is going to have to put 4 quarters together. I was proud of the Vols through most of the half. Had they not given up those last points before half, it would have been a different game.
We have some ponies who will grow into horses. We need a lot more in the next two recruiting classes to develop more horses. Teams like Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida have been developing the type players we need for years. We are just beginning, but we will get there. Just stay the course. Fans from those teams are afraid that we are on our way. You can feel their fear from their posts trying to appear as Tennessee fans. Don't fall for they propaganda. They are just as bad as all the crooked politicians.

Georgia is really good, made adjustments, shut the run down and put it on the freshman QB in his first start to beat them.

In a nutshell....

New to the board. Maurer looks like he will be a good QB. Hope he is OK after that last hit. He looked a little shaky on the sidelines.
Actually, he lost consciousness on the sidelines. Should not play this coming game, probably more. Not impressed with trainers jerking him to his feet in that condition.

where have you been?.....have you told Coach Pruitt about this?

Reactions: STL0611

VN Store

Back