Vols Finally Have a QB

He's the guy the rest of this season as long as he is healthy. He'll get better and he's serviceable, but he disappeared much of the second half took some really bad sacks as well. I do like seeing JJ and Calloway excited about playing again and seeing them targeted. DWA is a coin flip whether or not he'll catch a ball that hits him in the hands, same for Palmer. target them less, push more throws to JJ and Calloway IMO.

For the first time in a long time I saw a quarterback who could throw, and a team that didn't quit in the third (and fourth) quarter. Yes, it was a loss--to the No. 3 team in the country, but the Vols showed backbone and I could feel a spark last night, or maybe, just maybe, it was a splash of water from the overflow of water putting out the dumpster fire.

Actually, he lost consciousness on the sidelines. Should not play this coming game, probably more. Not impressed with trainers jerking him to his feet in that condition.
I saw that. I would bet he has a bad concussion. His play in rhe first Qrt. was a great story. I enjoyed seeing the clips of his mother cheering him on in tje first qrtr.

Gets the ball out very quick. He has to. TN has good skill guys on the perimeter. But he's gonna get killed if the OL cant protect him. Bama's coming. Still think TN gets 6 wins.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
New to the board. Maurer looks like he will be a good QB. Hope he is OK after that last hit. He looked a little shaky on the sidelines.

Might be the best we have at the moment, but I'm not calling him the next Casey Clausen. He's got some tools, but is he truly an SEC starter that can elevate us to competing with the big boys of the SEC? Not so sure.

He's the guy the rest of this season as long as he is healthy. He'll get better and he's serviceable, but he disappeared much of the second half took some really bad sacks as well. I do like seeing JJ and Calloway excited about playing again and seeing them targeted. DWA is a coin flip whether or not he'll catch a ball that hits him in the hands, same for Palmer. target them less, push more throws to JJ and Calloway IMO.

Anyone else think once we scored 14 and we’re up that our play calling got alittle more conservative... I think we need to just play ball and cut Maurer loose, let him light it up cause he looks capable of doing so.

For the first time in a long time I saw a quarterback who could throw, and a team that didn't quit in the third (and fourth) quarter. Yes, it was a loss--to the No. 3 team in the country, but the Vols showed backbone and I could feel a spark last night, or maybe, just maybe, it was a splash of water from the overflow of water putting out the dumpster fire.
I've refrained from jumping in a ton of threads after the GA game. People are all over the highway on their takeaways after last night. Sgt.Rock is pretty much in tune with my feelings here.

Those that are really crying that Tennessee got outplayed are very correct, but it is lost on many of you that the seniors on this Georgia team have played in the SEC championship game the last two seasons. They ARE ranked number 3 in the country and it's no fluke. I thought Florida was overrated, but they pretty much shut Auburn down yesterday. They are for real as well. Good warm up games for Bama right?

I think the Mississippi State game will be interesting. Maurer has a huge upside potential for the rest of the season if they keep him in. Thank you ESPN for reminding us of his high school stats. The young man has thrown for lots of touchdowns in the past, so it's not like we suited up the water boy.

SGT Rock.. you must be over 50. I used to read that comic book as a kid. Was one of my favorites.
sgt rock.jpg

Reactions: 24/7vol
Our OC didn't help him, after the second TD. No dump downs or safety valves. No screens, WR or otherwise. The running game was poorly planned and poorly executed. UGA adjusted. They took away the first read, and it all fell apart. Mr. Mauer stared down his first read, and never used his eyes to move the safety from the middle of the field. He is a long way away from being good. But, he looked good for 16 minutes.
I stick to what I said before. There is no good QB on this entire roster. Harrison Bailey will easily transition to the starter, day one.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Kid made good throws......on time.
JG has to see it open before he throws which is why he hesitates or throws late. Maurer trusts the receiver to go to the proper spot and then throws before they break......finally....slants across the middle....on time. It’s Maurer’s job at this point. IMO

UGA locked down the BM pre snap quick read strategy with their talent and experience at every position. Had the halves been flipped and we had mad our offensive plays in 2nd half, UGA would have been up 30-0, Neyland would've emptied, and VN would be calling for everyone's head this AM.

Oh, and JT Shrout would be the most popular player on our team.
i still think shrout reads the defense best of the three, but doesnt have the "it" (fan) factor his side

I saw that. I would bet he has a bad concussion. His play in rhe first Qrt. was a great story. I enjoyed seeing the clips of his mother cheering him on in tje first qrtr.
He didn’t lose Consciousness. It knocked the wind out of him and he was trying to get to the sidelines in an effort to not stay down. He couldn’t breathe.

Our OC didn't help him, after the second TD. No dump downs or safety valves. No screens, WR or otherwise. The running game was poorly planned and poorly executed. UGA adjusted. They took away the first read, and it all fell apart. Mr. Mauer stared down his first read, and never used his eyes to move the safety from the middle of the field. He is a long way away from being good. But, he looked good for 16 minutes.
I stick to what I said before. There is no good QB on this entire roster. Harrison Bailey will easily transition to the starter, day one.
So you’re going on record with the opinion that HB would have done better than dropping 250+ yards on arguably the best defense in college football in his first career start with only 2 weeks preparation?

Actually, he lost consciousness on the sidelines. Should not play this coming game, probably more. Not impressed with trainers jerking him to his feet in that condition.

Yeah, I didn't get them pulling him up at all. At that point, you don't know if the kid has broken ribs or even a collapsed lung. Generally speaking, when a kid's eyes start rolling back in his head, you should give medical attention and refrain from pulling him back to his feet.

He didn’t lose Consciousness. It knocked the wind out of him and he was trying to get to the sidelines in an effort to not stay down. He couldn’t breathe.
He lost consciousness. Period. Don't know if it was neurological, cardiac, endocrinologic, hematologic, hypoxic, or what. But he lost consciousness. It should not be taken lightly, for his sake.

Reactions: cgrish
250 yds with 2 TDS and 1 pic basically throwing to 2 guys is pretty dang good against one of the top defenses in the country. He did better than Ian Book did against them

New to the board. Maurer looks like he will be a good QB. Hope he is OK after that last hit. He looked a little shaky on the sidelines.

You think so? Here's a quote from Pruitt regarding next week's game.

''I'll have to watch film,'' Pruitt said. ''I don't know. I think Brian competed really hard. I thought Jarrett did a good job when he was in there. It was good for both of them.''

Reactions: cgrish
He lost consciousness. Period. Don't know if it was neurological, cardiac, endocrinologic, hematologic, hypoxic, or what. But he lost consciousness. It should not be taken lightly, for his sake.
Talked to him after the game. He claims he didn’t. And given the trainers picked him up immediately I have no choice but to believe what he said about himself and the facts that took place. Trainers don’t stand an unconscious person on their feet.

Reactions: lexkyvol

VN Store

Back