Vols Chances in 2007

No, it's not. Not with talent and mindset and attitudes. That's why there are upsets. After the game is played on the FIELD, there are upsets.

Sorry man, but you're wrong. On the field, with 15:00 on the 1st quarter clock, a game is a pick'em. You either win or you lose.

i agree with everything in your post. but that right there is why people are so pissed off. losing the way we lost just sucked. we beat ourselves and played poorly on top of it. We all know what are weaknesses were/are and we all knew what improvements had been made over 2005. and the injuries can't be ignored either....all that i agree with.

but that one statement: WE WERE NOT PREPARED sums up the entire sentiment about the 06 season. 10-3 with a NYD bowl win, while not making our season really any better would have been a great way to end an otherwise nice step forward from the debacle of 05. as sated, we knew we weren't quite there yet, but up until Monday, most were excited about the future.

then Monday happens, and it's a big fat dose of reality, that we aren't as close as we may have thought and a big reason why is that WE WERE NOT PREPARED. that's a tough pill to swallow given how this team played thruout most of the season. We got worse, not better, and there wasn't EA sitting on the sideline w/an ankle injury, Coker wasn't hurt, Meach is still here...yada, yada, yada....so what was it this time??????????

So, i'm not discounting what was done during the season, nor am i discounting the reasons we lost the games we lost during the regular season.

But i'm also not going to discount what happened in the Bowl game either. 1 month to prepare, and we weren't. you said it all.

Another great post Jake.

Well, looks like you're ignorant as well as not fun. Can the time of day not affect an apthetic team? I sure think it can. That's all I was saying and the you turn it into the fact that my whole argument is that we lost because we had to get up early. There were many factors that went into our win. That was one of them, and I don't think you can deny it.
besides, i'm plenty of fun. i don't though find it fun to read these posts that come up with every reason under the sun for why we lost, other than the reason why.

I was saying that time of day was part of the reason why we weren't prepped and looked apathetic. I don't think you can deny that.

Our point is that it is the responsbility of the coaching staff to prevent the lack of preparation and apathy.

It has been interesting reading all of the posts for this particular thread. Let's be real. Tennessee hardly ever gets up for a big game. Its like the Florida game is the absolute barometer for the whole season. Once they lose to the Gators, average play is what we see for the rest of the season. I agree with a previous post, Tennessee got worse towards the end of the season. After a long period of thought, I concluded that Tennessee was not going to beat Penn St. Why? Because after Arkansas, they could barely close the season.

Generally speaking, ateam adopts the attitude of a coach. CPF is always "laxed" during game. I guess once coach's start receiving those fat checks, they are content. That is why schools like Boise St. can pull of the upset. Schools like that are hungry and have something to prove. The whole coaching staff has something to prove. In reality, football talent is getting spread all over the country. Great student athletes now see that they can get more playing time at lesser known school. Now, the BCS allows for the lesser known schools to have a shot. Now, since the talent level is beginning to level out, "coaching" becomes a must. Teaching fundamentals becomes a must. Developing a warrior attitude becomes a must.

Tennessee better get it together because right now, they look like a mid-major football team.

So then why are you disagreeing with it? Its not my whole argument and you attack me as if it is. I am simply defending my point to someone who has denied it in the past. So if you're about done running around in circles that'd be great.
i think i've been consistent in stating that the time of day and/or mindset of the team has nothing to do with losing the game.

Unless the coaches allow it to.

i think i've been consistent in stating that the time of day and/or mindset of the team has nothing to do with losing the game.

Unless the coaches allow it to.

Jake I haven't read your post but are you saying the game is not a mental one?

no, not in the least. i do think though that the coaches are responsible for preparation, both mentally and physically. and at the end of the day, reasons you lose games can't be the time of day the game was played or the mindset of the players thinking this was an inferior bowl with an inferior opponent, unless the coaches allow that to happen.

just don't tell me that's just the way it is, and there's no reason for it.

see, we've seen this before...KSU, Maryland, Clemson, and now PSU. and in all cases the team was ill prepared. whether or not they were in a bowl they didn't want to be in or they didn't respect their opponent can't be reasons to lose just because........

who is responsible for setting the tone? who is responsible for getting a team ready, physically and menatlly?

No, KPT, the students have a much better outlook than anyone on this board. No one is calling for Fulmer's head, most have faith in him, and the ones that don't are sane enough to realize that it is going to be incredibly hard to replace him with someone better. The students go down to UGA, the Swamp, and Tuscaloosa. It was an abberation in Tampa, most likely because of the 11 am kickoff on New Year's Day. It tough for students, let alone players to get excited for that kind of game against an inferior opponent. No coach can make his kids excited for getting up at 8 am. Sorry guys.
this is what got this whole thing started. it just made no sense to me and it still doesn't.

Yeah I went back and read after posting. Should of done that first! I agree with you though! I bet Clemson is having the same discussion!

Yeah I went back and read after posting. Should of done that first! I agree with you though! I bet Clemson is having the same discussion!
yeah, if there is one positive i can say, at least we didn't lose our 9th consecutive bowl game and at least we didn't get beat by KY in a bowl game. living in Charlotte, you hear clemson fans calling in to the shows...man are they pissed. you think Fulmer has it bad in Knoxivlle? his seat is a block of dry ice compared to Tommy Bowden's.

With our inability to win most big games....what I want to know is your opinion on how we will do next season?

I've seen that the team can be very inconsistent. How did we beat Cal by so many points and we barely survived UK and Bama? We have great talent in the the team but I do believe that better coaching is required. If the team that played at the Outback bowl shows up next season, expect a worst season than 5-6. Even Vandy will be able to beat us. I don't hate Fulmer and the rest of the coaching staff, but if they don't raise those C's and D's grades to As, don't expect to graduate. Either improve or leave. Fulmer has been there too long (15 years?) and even we've improved this season from last season, we haven't been able to beat an elite team. He hasn't been able to beat the Gators (except ONE time). My message to him: "stop eating and get your brain working."

:confused:

But we're due for some good breaks. We haven't had many lately and fortune plays a huge role in football, where turnovers often dictate outcomes.

But we're due for some good breaks. We haven't had many lately and fortune plays a huge role in football, where turnovers often dictate outcomes.

We were +2 in close games in 2006, which means we had the breaks.

Also, in our terrible 2005, we were E in close games. Compare that to 2004 where we were +5!

We were +2 in close games in 2006, which means we had the breaks.

Also, in our terrible 2005, we were E in close games. Compare that to 2004 where we were +5!
i'd call the two bounced balls off USC players helmets in that game were big breaks.

i'd also say the play call at the end of the AF game was big break.

Well then I guess you sucked during college and I don't even need to be talking to you.

You are a buffoon. You don't spend weeks preparing for one day or night of drinking. Fulmer had weeks to have those guys ready for the 11am kickoff.

I think we'll go 10-2 during the season. Lose to Cal and Florida early and then win the rest. I think Florida will lose two games and we'll slide into the SEC championship game against LSU, lose and then go to the CapitalOne Bowl against Ohio State

o cmon, we still have realistic shots at the SEC Championship and the NC with our talent. Its not like we were blown out 4 times this year.

We were embarrased in 2 (PSU/Arky) and didn't make plays in the other two as we lost in the final seconds (Florida/LSU).

2 games were nail biters to inferior opponents at home (Ky and Air Force) and 1 game we had to rally in the second half to put up 50+ points on Georgia.

VN Store

Back