Vescovi has to shoot more than 3 times

And it makes it worse that we aren't a good shooting team but just keep basing our offense off the 3. I guess its because we also aren't a good post team.

Newsflash to you- Rick Barnes is a very good basketball coach. UT is VERY fortunate to have him directing the program.
You and your negative brethren on Volnation need to open your eyes and appreciate the program he has re-built after two of our previous three coaches got hit with NCAA show cause penalties and the third was made to feel totally unwelcome here because of a moronic petition by a very unsavory element of our overzealous and hypercritical fan base.

The offense does need improvement for sure, but don’t let that fact cloud your view of the big picture- namely Rick Barnes has rebuilt this program and it is currently on more solid footing than ever.

If only there was some way for a coach to find ways to get guys open....
It’s not so easy without player execution. Our offense has been much better than this in prior years under Barnes but this team just doesn’t know how to play offense well or isn’t capable of doing so, especially without ZZ.

All we do on offense is that half-hearted motion garbage. Half the guys just stand around and then act like they forgot it was their turn to move somewhere. I'm guessing part of the reason our offense looks so bad is because it is so easy to defend.
Yep, the standing around drives me nuts. At times they do move and it’s beautiful to watch, they just don’t do it consistently. The ball doesn’t always have to go down to the block but we should implement a rule that no one shoots unless the ball has penetrated the arc.

Reactions: beachvol23
If only there was some way for a coach to find ways to get guys open....

You don’t notice that our whole offense is based on motion and ball screens. Santi may be one of the best players in the country at hunting shots, shot fakes, and getting off screens to get looks. He was blanketed last night. What’s your top secret plan for getting him open looks? If only there was a way our fans could learn how basketball works…

Last edited:
The way they were face guarding (holding) him and he can't create his own shot he did really well not forcing shots IMO
He forced a 3 late when we really needed a good possession but that’s the only time I recall a force.

It’s not so easy without player execution. Our offense has been much better than this in prior years under Barnes but this team just doesn’t know how to play offense well or isn’t capable of doing so, especially without ZZ.
What kind of “execution” would you like Santi to perform? Their plan was to take him out of the game at the expense of giving looks to the 1 and 3. It worked. If Mashack hadn’t played well, we lose.

I agree he needs more shots. We would have been fine regardless against Louisiana if we'd hit our free throws and limited turnovers.

However a close hard fought game may be more beneficial for the next one than an easy W would have been.

Reactions: gnm53108
You don’t notice that our whole offense is based on motions and ball screens. Santi may be one of the best players in the country at hunting shots, shot fakes, and getting off screens to get looks. He was blanketed last night. What’s your top secret plan for getting him open looks? If only there was a way our fans could learn how basketball works…
Then apply this to EVERY other player! As previously posted, too many guys standing around! MOVE, CUT, DRIVE! to say it’s frustrating is an understatement! If all other players were being coached offense well and played with motivation and confidence on offense, their results would be much better! Clearly there are deficiencies in organization and communications and that falls in RB! The assemblage of player deficiencies also falls on RB for evaluation of talent that all have the same strengths and weaknesses! Sorry to burst your bubble to the apologists.

Newsflash to you- Rick Barnes is a very good basketball coach. UT is VERY fortunate to have him directing the program.
You and your negative brethren on Volnation need to open your eyes and appreciate the program he has re-built after two of our previous three coaches got hit with NCAA show cause penalties and the third was made to feel totally unwelcome here because of a moronic petition by a very unsavory element of our overzealous and hypercritical fan base.

The offense does need improvement for sure, but don’t let that fact cloud your view of the big picture- namely Rick Barnes has rebuilt this program and it is currently on more solid footing than ever.
You’re right. We are lucky for sure. This team is so frustrating to watch though. The 2016-17 team under Barnes went 16-16 but they played smart and fought hard so they were fun to watch. They just didn’t have much experience as they were very young but talented. This team has far better experience and the talent is there as well but they really struggle on the offensive end and just don’t play smart basketball. I don’t think that’s all on Barnes though because his teams normally play smarter than this. And it certainly doesn’t mean we should get rid of Barnes as hes done a great job here overall.

Turnovers. Hard working group but no good at picking up or adjusting to tendencies of the other team

What kind of “execution” would you like Santi to perform? Their plan was to take him out of the game at the expense of giving looks to the 1 and 3. It worked. If Mashack hadn’t played well, we lose.
I’m not talking about Santi in particular, just the team overall. They stand too much and don’t work the ball inside the arc consistently to get a good shot. They have stretches where they will stand around and jack 3s without the ball ever really moving. Passing around the perimeter isn’t moving the ball unless maybe it’s a skip pass. We far too often don’t make the defense move much. That results in low percentage shots. That’s the execution I want to see.

He definitely needs help to get a shot. We either have to play inside out or find somebody that can threaten the paint and draw a defender.
Hello Mashack. Would have included Phillips here, but he's just not quite ready to be the man on this team. Youth I suspect.

There could have easily been 15 fouls called against Vescovi tonight. The Cajuns decided to make someone other than Vescovi beat them
And the officials allowed it to happen… he came off multiple screens all night but when your defender is allowed to hold and grab you, or they call the least little slide by the screener a foul, it’s nearly impossible to get open. Allowing the game to be a little physical bodes well for our defensive effort. But when it’s to the point it was last night, it definitely hurts what offense we actually have.

Then apply this to EVERY other player! As previously posted, too many guys standing around! MOVE, CUT, DRIVE! to say it’s frustrating is an understatement! If all other players were being coached offense well and played with motivation and confidence on offense, their results would be much better! Clearly there are deficiencies in organization and communications and that falls in RB! The assemblage of player deficiencies also falls on RB for evaluation of talent that all have the same strengths and weaknesses! Sorry to burst your bubble to the apologists.
Losing ZZ robbed us of our one player capable of breaking his man down off the dribble and opening things up in the paint for kickoffs to open shooters. Decent defenses can keep any other player on our roster in front of them. I'll agree that it isn't a sound strategy to have so few ball-handlers on a team of 13 scholarship players. Next year, we will have Dilione, ZZ (hopefully), and an additional transfer PG whose greatest quality needs to be an ability to get to the paint and create offense, either scoring at the rim, facilitating others, or outside shooting, himself.

Reactions: beachvol23
There could have easily been 15 fouls called against Vescovi tonight. The Cajuns decided to make someone other than Vescovi beat them

Yep if you have a guard that can keep up with SVs constant moving. Add to that if the refs that are calling that game that allows you put your hand on him and pull on his jersey all game then he will not score much because he has to get open looks. I give their guard credit he stayed with him and pestered him all night but he may have been drained if Vescovi hadn't had to sit out 14 minutes the first half. That gave that defender a rest because nobody moves as much as SV. Most of these games when teams are close to even, come down to who the refs are and their calling style, If their style fits your style of play it is a plus. The game has evolved into basically a rugby match with the refs deciding who they want to call a foul on and some call different with time left and score and pre conceived personality of player which is frustrating you have very few refs that call it consistent. One time its a foul and in another same situation its a charge.

Reactions: lynnh
Yep, he’ll get open but won’t shoot. He only wants to pull the trigger if the defender is at least 15 feet away.

Lol, do you understand basketball? Those defenders are holding him constantly, they deny him the ball, if he tried to shoot it would be blocked. It's not easy

You don’t notice that our whole offense is based on motion and ball screens. Santi may be one of the best players in the country at hunting shots, shot fakes, and getting off screens to get looks. He was blanketed last night. What’s your top secret plan for getting him open looks? If only there was a way our fans could learn how basketball works…
Yep . . . That's the whole problem. No consistent post threat to draw doubles; no consistent slashers to draw help. As far as scorers go, Santi works harder for his shots than just about anybody.

Reactions: Sportslady
Vescovi can't create a shot, especially when a good defender is on him. He needs screens and picks to get his shot off.

We do go through those stretches where everybody is allergic to getting downhill and making the defense work. 2 handoffs, a pick and a pass to the wing, Jack a 3… rinse repeat.

Yep. but I have noticed Mashack coming out of his shell on drives and pull up 8 & 10 footers. I hope his confidence soars and he keeps bringing the O to the D. We will need him to play over his head vs Duke to advance, D is there just build on the O he's had lately.

Yep. but I have noticed Mashack coming out of his shell on drives and pull up 8 & 10 footers. I hope his confidence soars and he keeps bringing the O to the D. We will need him to play over his head vs Duke to advance, D is there just build on the O he's had lately.
He is a monster on the D end of the court.

La coach was so very proud of the defense they played on SV. CLEARLY, he was NOT going to let SV beat him. And thankfully we had enough to hold on. We played a lot of minutes (especially first half) without SV or JJJ on the floor. Hopefully JJJ can be much more efficient against Duke and SV can get his shot off against a fairly young squad. I agree the La game was ugly and frustrating, but I'd hope we, as fairly educated fans, can look at the game with objectivity and figure out WHY SV only took three shots. Losing ZZ has altered the way we attack and that will alter our shots as well. Excuse? Yeah I guess. But that's the simple answer to WHY he only took three shots. And people who want to throw CRB under the bus??? Holy Cow! SMH

VN Store

Back