Vescovi has to shoot more than 3 times

How many points did we have in the paint last night?

We scored 58 points....so probably not a lot overall. Are you wanting to seriously try and argue that we are a good post team? Have you watched us play basketball this year?

You don’t notice that our whole offense is based on motion and ball screens. Santi may be one of the best players in the country at hunting shots, shot fakes, and getting off screens to get looks. He was blanketed last night. What’s your top secret plan for getting him open looks? If only there was a way our fans could learn how basketball works…
Im not "one of the best basketball coaches in the country", so I wouldn't expect to know the answer.

They were keying on him, not letting him get open. Good strategy.
No one talking about his assists.
He found teammates open for a shot.
How about you JJJ, Key, Phillips. Can someone else make a shot when SV is being held on ever series?
No to mention he got parked on the bench for 15 mins in a loser go home game 🤷

He had a really good defender who stayed right up in his grill all night. Hats off to Louisana!

They bunch was nasty. Did you notice that they all had extra long sharpened fingernails?

We were getting repeatedly cut and therefore bleeding everywhere.

One guy headbutted Key in his left eye. That will probably swell up today.

Same thing happened against Michigan last year. We won't win another game with the stat line he had tonight. I dont think Key and Mashack will carry us over teams like Duke.

You may be correct but I didn’t think Zona and UVA would go down yesterday. If Key and/or JJJ can get hot along with 15 points from our bigs (Uros, Aidoo, Awaka, ON). Mashack is playing well, too. But I think it comes down to TN making at least 7 threes tomorrow.

All we do on offense is that half-hearted motion garbage. Half the guys just stand around and then act like they forgot it was their turn to move somewhere. I'm guessing part of the reason our offense looks so bad is because it is so easy to defend.

I agree that we look confused on offense, however, many teams have the same problem. We need better athletes who can dribble drive into the paint to create shots. Louisiana did a good job with that last night.

Barnes offense should look better if these incoming freshmen are as athletic as advertised. I just don’t understand why Phillips isn’t being more aggressive as he seems lost at times.

Come on, three shots?

I watched him run thru offense in the 2nd half. A couple times, no one put a body on Santi’s defender. They might brush him but his defender needs to be beat all to hell by end of the game. Tennessee’s offense is very stale & sloppy right now. That’s on coaching

in defense of Vescovi if you watched that game with open eyes you saw he was getting mugged all game long. on every screen the guy chasing him was grabbing. it was starting to look like it was the buffet line at an all you can grab and eat. I feel sorry for the guy how few calls he gets for his off ball hustle. ive never seen anyone work so hard off ball like he does. going to be sad to see him leave. hoping he comes back one more year.

Well if he stays out of foul trouble, he will.
That’s not the reason he only got 3 shots. There was at least one open look he passed on , and found JJJ for an open 3 which he hit. There were times he looked hesitant or did the shot fake then passed. He was getting held a good bit, they were taking him out of it. I think there are various reasons , but he played 25 plus minutes which is plenty of time to get more than 3 shot attempts, so foul trouble isn’t the reason. I also wouldn’t reconsider 3 fouls all game foul trouble. He got two early, and Barnes sat him, but he played all of second half. Anyway, he did have some nice passes to some open guys after passing on shots, but I’d rather him be “shoot first” as I think it’s our best chance to win if he’s shouting a ton of shots.

He is so slow that it looks like they are glued to him. Defensive schemes have figured him out. He just isn’t quick enough to create offense for himself. Plus he picks up silly fouls hurting himself and his team. He just isn’t playing smart basketball.

He was getting grabbed and pushed around all night and he’sa catch and shoot guy. Just not a lot of openings for him.
The Loss of ZZ has affected his game and JJJ. It takes a lot out of you to have to fight to get the ball up the court when they are getting Mugged and the reff's allow it.

He is so slow that it looks like they are glued to him. Defensive schemes have figured him out. He just isn’t quick enough to create offense for himself. Plus he picks up silly fouls hurting himself and his team. He just isn’t playing smart basketball.
Agree, but not really his fault if he is not being played to his strengths out of necessity. He needs to be on a team where he can be a post-up shooter.

Reactions: GAVol
Agree, but not really his fault if he is not being played to his strengths out of necessity. He needs to be on a team where he can be a post-up shooter.

Post up shooter?? Not sure I agree with that. He can’t jump more than 3”. He is slow and a liability on offense. He just can’t create for himself. I think he is a decent player but good coaching and a good/fast defender can take him out of a game. Sorry man.

Vescovi and Plavsic were fouled, heck, mugged on multiple occasions. No calls, officials these days are horrible. Reach in back in the 90's like they do now and you would have fouled in the 1st half!
Now, our offense doesn't do well when they keep a man on our main shooter face guarding and not coming off him at all no matter what. We don't have a player that can just ball out and get his own spot. We mostly rely on fairly open looks and some then try to get close baskets with the bigs. Have to change up the offensive sets a little to work guys open better.

Without ZZ, teams know he is the key to our offense. Their strategy is to stop him, thereby stopping the Vols. Duke will be all over him this afternoon, so Barnes better have a good counter strategy today.

You can’t expect your leading scorer and best shooter to have the same output every game when you’re one and only true PG gets hurt at the very end of the season. Vescovi’s role has changed. Taking a SG and having to play him at the point more than normal makes it easier on the defense to account for him. I believe that’s why we’re starting to see an increase in production from Mashack.

VN Store

Back