VCU rams

MikeHamiltonFan

Are a bad match up for us if we can win against Missouri State.

Missouri State is a likely NCAA team, and they will be a strong challenge. If we can overcome Goins injury, Golden will grow a lot as a freshman and be more ready to provide us with help we need at the PG depth wise going forward.

VCU forced 23 turnovers from Wake Forest while only having 7 themselves. Our sloppy play in taking care of the ball including from the normally extremely sound Tobias Harris will prevent us from advancing through the semifinals if we do not fix it.

Pearl has never had a turnover prone team. I hope he gets it fixed in a hurry. I can stand a loss with a bad shooting night, but losing men on defense and turning the ball over and over drives me up a wall.

I'm from Richmond and can attest that VCU will not be a problem for us. They are not even the best team in this city. Yes they did win the CBI last year, but Belmont posed a much bigger threat to us than they do imo. Keep in mind that the Wake Forest team they knocked off is probably the worst Wake team that has been assembled in years, and WF is picked to finish last in the ACC by most.

I'm from Richmond and can attest that VCU will not be a problem for us. They are not even the best team in this city. Yes they did win the CBI last year, but Belmont posed a much bigger threat to us than they do imo. Keep in mind that the Wake Forest team they knocked off is probably the worst Wake team that has been assembled in years, and WF is picked to finish last in the ACC by most.

i agree

Does it bother anybody else with how many second chance points belmont got?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VCU has a brand new coach who is focused on defense and creating turnovers. What they did last year has some bearing, but what they did this year is a bigger factor.

If TN gives up 30 turnovers it does not matter what else they do they will have a very poor chance of winning.

We beat VCU by at least 15 if play them. I live just south of Richmond and they can't handle our depth. Their starting five are respectable, but couldn't handle us running them for 40 minutes. If we meet them, that should be the gameplan. Turnovers or not, we should press and run against them.

VCU would smoke Belmont.

VCU has a brand new coach who is focused on defense and creating turnovers. What they did last year has some bearing, but what they did this year is a bigger factor.

If TN gives up 30 turnovers it does not matter what else they do they will have a very poor chance of winning.

I agree. If we don't do something about the many unforced turnovers, we're going to have problems against many teams. I can handle missing a shot, but unforced turnovers simply kill you as it is possession without even attempting a shot.

With the Vols ball handling abilities so far this year and VCU's press....oh, dear. Might not be such a good match-up for UT. Hope we hang in there and get it to Harris more.

Whoever said anything about VCU not being the best team in Richmond. I assume you're trying to imply University of Richmond is better.

VCU has beat Richmond 6 years running and has far and away been the better program over that time period. I do agree Richmond was a better team last year, but we still beat them head-to-head then as well. Not sure where that came from. We play a full-court pressure scheme for 40 minutes as well. We're probably not going to be that flustered by you guys doing it. That's what we do every game. It's our identity.

This is as good a matchup as we could have asked for. We'll certainly have a match-up problem with Tobias and Scotty as they are both superb players. I think we win the point guard matchup though with a more experienced and seasoned point in Joey Rodriguez. That'll be key since we both like to run a lot. You guys turn the ball over a lot so that is a weakness we'll have to exploit.

We also like to shoot the 3 ball and that is a big part of our game plan. If you can stop us from there, you have a good shot at advancing to the finals. Usually teams try to slow it down to a half-court game against us (we aren't great defending out of the half-court), but we're hard to beat when we're running. It'll be interesting since we seem to play very similar games. I bet this game will be very high scoring.

It should be a good one. Looking forward to it.

"VCU will not be a problem for us"

WOW. If this is the attitude of the coaching staff, prepare for a 40 point beat down. VCU would have destroyed the team that showed up against MS tonight.

Does it bother anybody else with how many second chance points belmont got?

That kind of thing happens when your best rebounder plays 3 minutes. (And let me add, Pearl, 14 minutes, 1 rebound.)

We play a full-court pressure scheme for 40 minutes as well. We're probably not going to be that flustered by you guys doing it. That's what we do every game. It's our identity.

We also like to shoot the 3 ball and that is a big part of our game plan. Usually teams try to slow it down to a half-court game against us (we aren't great defending out of the half-court), but we're hard to beat when we're running. It'll be interesting since we seem to play very similar games. I bet this game will be very high scoring.

1) We press very, very little this year.

2) We defend the 3 very well. Held the last two opponents to around 22-25%.

3) We're not going to try to slow you down because we suck in the halfcourt. We look pretty dangerous in transition.

4) If it turns into a track meet, I like our chances because we have better athletes.

5) Your best chance is really pressuring the ball because we probably have about as many turnovers through 3 games as any team in the country.

6) If you turn us over a lot, you'll be in the game late and have a shot at the win.

I'm sorry but to those of you claiming we beat VCU by 15.... I do not see it. I am always optimistic about our team but we are going to seriously struggle containing Joey Rodriguez, especially if we do not have Melvin going forward.

We certainly have more depth, but we also had a lot more depth than anyone we have played thus far and we still haven't played anywhere close to our potential.

We have more talent and if we play to our potential we will win, but that has been no easy task thus far and VCU is no team to sleep on.

"VCU will not be a problem for us"

WOW. If this is the attitude of the coaching staff, prepare for a 40 point beat down. VCU would have destroyed the team that showed up against MS tonight.

If you want to figure out how to wager, I'll take all you got on this one.

I'm sorry but to those of you claiming we beat VCU by 15.... I do not see it. I am always optimistic about our team but we are going to seriously struggle containing Joey Rodriguez, especially if we do not have Melvin going forward.

We certainly have more depth, but we also had a lot more depth than anyone we have played thus far and we still haven't played anywhere close to our potential.

We have more talent and if we play to our potential we will win, but that has been no easy task thus far and VCU is no team to sleep on.

There is one thing that can be said about a team who is winning ugly. When they get it together you better watch out because if they can grind out wins, when it gets easy for them they'll beat someone by 50. VCU better hope they aren't the ones that the Vols get pretty on.

There's no question we have the talent and depth to beat anyone on any given night, and we also have the ability to give a game away any given night (proved via the Indy loss), but come tournament time I have faith we will be playing some good basketball.

Fact of the matter is anyone who is taking VCU lightly is kidding themselves. They may lack depth but you only get to play five at a time, and there five best can play with the best.

I think we win in the end, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

VN Store

Back