Vacation / Travel

In Berlin, the German History Museum and the whole complex of art museums just on the east side of the Gate (Museum Island) (especially the Pergamon), the Brandenburg Gate. The DDR museum is fun. The Berlin Wall. Walking tours for WWII and the Cold War are excellent. Checkpoint Charlie. The Philharmonic and opera if you're so inclined; one of those crazy all-night clubs perhaps, if you not. In summer the "beaches" (Strands) on the river: a really fun scene. Boat ride on the river. The Reichstag, including the dome. Beer gardens for some people. Day (train) trip to nearby Potsdam. I think my favorite restaurants were an Alsatian restaurant (don't remember the name but can't be too many), Das Meisterstück for sausage, the street vendors are fun. Chocolate at Rausch. How could I have forgotten: you have to get a Döner (Turkish gyro); there are joints all over and they are cheap and fun.
Wow, great suggestions, except for the opera, lol. Actually that is the reason for the trip. Wife is singing opera in Berlin. A little Wagner is good for the soul, right?

Morning all.

Wife and I are about to take our first real vacation for us since a 2019 trip to Japan (all our trips to Peru for family time don't count to me). The only time pressure on it is ending in Bilbao, Spain around the 7th of October to visit one of her cousins that lives there, and all the aunts and other cousins that will be visiting at that time (so I guess we are getting family time anyway). We also need to be back to DC by the 20th of October.

She has a huge list of wants for the trip, but we're planning to start somewhere in Italy in early to mid-September. I prefer countryside, but she wants to see literally all the cities of Italy, the Amalfi Coast, plus Barcelona and Madrid. I understand this is impossible, she maybe understands it's impossible, and I need a scapegoat to sacrifice some of the places off our list (you all will do :) ).

As we've never been to Europe, I need a little help planning this out. We are really open to anything, but the important notes are we are both fluent in Spanish, are probably more "cultural" tourists that prefer a trip that's a little less instagram-y and a little more real, and at least one of us (me) is a massive history/religion buff. I'm thinking we have to do Rome and see at least some of the touristy stuff there, but beyond that I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help AT ALL is appreciated, and I'm off work most of this week so I can answer any questions too.
If you like what I call modern Italian art, we took tours of Lamborghini, Pagani, and Ferrari in one day. Lamborghini lets you on their assembly line, and they have a good museum. Pagani doesn't have an assembly line; IIRC, they make less than fifty cars a year. Ferrari has a nice museum, but if you don't own one of their cars, you can't go on the factory floor, but we could look in. It was all planned months in advance.

Wow, great suggestions, except for the opera, lol. Actually that is the reason for the trip. Wife is singing opera in Berlin. A little Wagner is good for the soul, right?
In Berlin (and other German cities), you'll see shiny brass blocks in the sidewalk on occasion. Here's the story behind them: ‘Stumbling Blocks’: Germany’s Decentralized Memorial for Holocaust Victims

In many regards, Dresden is a new city. It was carpet bombed during World War 2 (but as my German friend says, they had it coming). Many buildings have been rebuilt and/or painted to look old, but they are a few decades old. The communists didn't care much about cleaning up after WW2, so many laid in piles untouched for decades. Reunification changed things. Look at this church: Timeline of Restoration: The Frauenkirche church, Dresden.

In college before German reunification I was able to travel to the communist side of Berlin and Germany. What the communists didn't have was incredible. I was a college student, wearing Levis, new adidas shoes, with a camera strapped around my neck. 99% of the cars were Trabants. I felt like a monkey in the zoo the way people were staring at me. They were in lines for food. Stores with beautiful store fronts like you see in Paris barely had any goods in the window, with few things available. I got to hear propaganda. Checkpoint Charlie wasn't the place you'll see now- there's a McDonald's probably 25 yards away today. You'll see DDR stuff for sale, and some younger people (who were born after reunification) have ostalgie (similar to what we call 'nostalgia,' but there it's a longing for East Germany- ost is German for east). They have no idea what communism was like. A friend's mother escaped from East Germany, and it's not where one wanted to live.

I don't know how much time you have, but tour the factories and museums of Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche. The Mercedes museum is incredibly impressive- their collection is amazing and you don't realize what all they've made over their history.

Go for a ride on an unlimited autobahn. Those are generally a distance from large city centers. The Greens have been trying to do away with the unlimited autobahns for years, and they may eventually get their way.

In Berlin (and other German cities), you'll see shiny brass blocks in the sidewalk on occasion. Here's the story behind them: ‘Stumbling Blocks’: Germany’s Decentralized Memorial for Holocaust Victims

In many regards, Dresden is a new city. It was carpet bombed during World War 2 (but as my German friend says, they had it coming). Many buildings have been rebuilt and/or painted to look old, but they are a few decades old. The communists didn't care much about cleaning up after WW2, so many laid in piles untouched for decades. Reunification changed things. Look at this church: Timeline of Restoration: The Frauenkirche church, Dresden.

In college before German reunification I was able to travel to the communist side of Berlin and Germany. What the communists didn't have was incredible. I was a college student, wearing Levis, new adidas shoes, with a camera strapped around my neck. 99% of the cars were Trabants. I felt like a monkey in the zoo the way people were staring at me. They were in lines for food. Stores with beautiful store fronts like you see in Paris barely had any goods in the window, with few things available. I got to hear propaganda. Checkpoint Charlie wasn't the place you'll see now- there's a McDonald's probably 25 yards away today. You'll see DDR stuff for sale, and some younger people (who were born after reunification) have ostalgie (similar to what we call 'nostalgia,' but there it's a longing for East Germany- ost is German for east). They have no idea what communism was like. A friend's mother escaped from East Germany, and it's not where one wanted to live.

I don't know how much time you have, but tour the factories and museums of Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche. The Mercedes museum is incredibly impressive- their collection is amazing and you don't realize what all they've made over their history.

Go for a ride on an unlimited autobahn. Those are generally a distance from large city centers. The Greens have been trying to do away with the unlimited autobahns for years, and they may eventually get their way.
Great info, thank you. Can't do it all but I'll see what I can do. You had a once in a lifetime experience, well done.

Reactions: @1RBFjr
In Berlin, the German History Museum and the whole complex of art museums just on the east side of the Gate (Museum Island) (especially the Pergamon), the Brandenburg Gate. The DDR museum is fun. The Berlin Wall. Walking tours for WWII and the Cold War are excellent. Checkpoint Charlie. The Philharmonic and opera if you're so inclined; one of those crazy all-night clubs perhaps, if you not. In summer the "beaches" (Strands) on the river: a really fun scene. Boat ride on the river. The Reichstag, including the dome. Beer gardens for some people. Day (train) trip to nearby Potsdam. I think my favorite restaurants were an Alsatian restaurant (don't remember the name but can't be too many), Das Meisterstück for sausage, the street vendors are fun. Chocolate at Rausch. How could I have forgotten: you have to get a Döner (Turkish gyro); there are joints all over and they are cheap and fun.
Those are good recommendations. I'd add that if one is interested in WWII history, the Topography of Terror museum and environs in Berlin are interesting. The restored Berlin Cathedral near the museums you mentioned is a beautiful building. And the city parks are nice places to take a break.
Marienplatz and the area around it in Munich is good, as are the palace grounds (Residenz?). The Deutsche Museum is great too if you like old submarines, boats, and airplanes.
@Gladiator1

Last edited:
Those are good recommendations. I'd add that if one is interested in WWII history, the Topography of Terror museum and environs in Berlin are interesting. The restored Berlin Cathedral near the museums you mentioned is a beautiful building. And the city parks are nice places to take a break.
Marienplatz and the area around it in Munich is good, as is the palace grounds (Residenz?). The Deutsche Museum is great too if you like old submarines, boats, and airplanes.
@Gladiator1
Here’s another good place to go:

Technik Museum Speyer | Germany

Reactions: EasternVol
Did an 8 hour charter out of Dauphin Island 9 years ago. I know we caught our fair share of Amberjack, King Mackerel and a bunch of other fish. It was a blast.

I can't remember the name of the charter now. I wish I could help more.

Reactions: give_him 6
My aunt and uncle in Augusta did a mission trip up there with their church. They were ready to move, they loved it.
The problem for me would be surviving the crazy sunlight schedule in the summer and winter. Here’s a pic from midnight in Anchorage. It completely messes with your mind to look out the window and see daylight all the time.

A local told me they work 12 hour+ days May-September and then spend October-March wondering why they decided to live there.
IMG_0833.jpeg

The problem for me would be surviving the crazy sunlight schedule in the summer and winter. Here’s a pic from midnight in Anchorage. It completely messes with your mind to look out the window and see daylight all the time.

A local told me they work 12 hour+ days May-September and then spend October-March wondering why they decided to live there.
View attachment 566278.

Reactions: feathersax
@OldandStillaVol @Go aeiou @Orange.

Thanks to you all for the Italy recommendations. Due to some circumstances in my work (both bad and good, honestly) I'm only going to get to do about two weeks of trip. Because my wife's cousins are in Spain, that's where we're going this go-round, likely to Italy or Japan (again) next fall.

We're starting with 3-4 days in Madrid and other places nearby (Toledo, etc.), 3-4+ days in Barcelona, a couple days in Bilbao, and then we've got a little flex to either to places like San Sebastian or run up to Bordeaux in France. I'm excited- never been to Europe so this is going to be fun. Plus I've convinced my wife to let me go to a La Liga game on my birthday :)

Since it's just the two of us, we're doing the roughing it backpacker style travel too. Should be a blast.

Thanks to you all for the Italy recommendations. Due to some circumstances in my work (both bad and good, honestly) I'm only going to get to do about two weeks of trip. Because my wife's cousins are in Spain, that's where we're going this go-round, likely to Italy or Japan (again) next fall.

We're starting with 3-4 days in Madrid and other places nearby (Toledo, etc.), 3-4+ days in Barcelona, a couple days in Bilbao, and then we've got a little flex to either to places like San Sebastian or run up to Bordeaux in France. I'm excited- never been to Europe so this is going to be fun. Plus I've convinced my wife to let me go to a La Liga game on my birthday :)

Since it's just the two of us, we're doing the roughing it backpacker style travel too. Should be a blast.
Sounds fantastic!

Sounds great. I have read elsewhere that reservations at the most popular tourist spots can save you standing in line. Take pictures and post here for us to enjoy.

VN Store

Back