Vacation / Travel

Hopefully you dont need a passport renewal this year. The Biden Admin. has completely F'ed up that process....
I’ve heard this, and when I went to renew my Global Entry a couple months ago there were all kinds of disclaimers and caveats on the website warning me it might take as long as 12 months to process everything. I got an email saying the renewal was complete and that I was good to go within 24 hours after submitting the documentation, and my new card arrived in the mail within a week. So who knows…maybe I just extremely lucky.

you're gonna be there a month and a half, Wow!, What a trip. You might add Greece, France and/or more of Spain to your trip. Even England or the Netherlands. Flights are cheaper in Europe, and public transportation is better and more plentiful than here.
One good thing is the crime in most of western Europe is non-violent. Mostly pick pockets. I'd get a money belt. keep IDs, CCs, money, etc. in it.
FWIW, I'm on your wife's side. :) See it all.

If you drink wine get the house wine in Italy and France. Cheap and probably better than anything you get here.
Yes, but about a week of the trip will be with family in Spain so I consider that less vacation!

I'd love to do England and everything too, but we usually like to "settle" a bit in places when we visit. She's supposed to be giving me her must go places today so I can get our flight booked.

Is there anywhere in Italy you'd say is overrated?

Yes, but about a week of the trip will be with family in Spain so I consider that less vacation!

I'd love to do England and everything too, but we usually like to "settle" a bit in places when we visit. She's supposed to be giving me her must go places today so I can get our flight booked.

Is there anywhere in Italy you'd say is overrated?

Capri, a tourist trap
Ravenna, very small with a lot of Catholic churchs(like most of Italy). (Nothing against Catholics)
Taormina, Some recommend instead of Pompei, mainly to avoid the crowds. you're going at the best time of year, and the crowds should't be that bad at Pompei. We've been to Pompei 2 times in the fall without large crowds.
Murano: If you like collecting things(in this case glass) you might love it.
I might list Rome and Venice for the crowds, but you are going at a good time. OTOH, people are traveling like crazy now.
Some of the towns in Tuscany were "boring" to me, but ya'll might love them. Some people enjoy the Etruscan burial sites. Creepy to me.

BTW, in Rome you probably want to see Trevi fountain(beautiful) and the "mouth of truth" which is just around the corner. You can put your hand in it(1.5 years ago). If you are not familiar watch the Movie,"Roman Holiday" Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck. It's entertaining.
Florence is nice to see from a hillside above. I have a picture hanging in front of my desk. attached

I used to build houses, and I enjoy looking at the homes in Europe. Many are built of stones and are very old. You realize how new our country is. I think you will find things that you can relate to and think about when you visit Europe

Attachments

• 20220619_195535.jpg
    20220619_195535.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 13
I’ve heard this, and when I went to renew my Global Entry a couple months ago there were all kinds of disclaimers and caveats on the website warning me it might take as long as 12 months to process everything. I got an email saying the renewal was complete and that I was good to go within 24 hours after submitting the documentation, and my new card arrived in the mail within a week. So who knows…maybe I just extremely lucky.

Same experience here.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Same experience here.
Have yall had much experience in the last 10 years or so of Global Entry not being accepted or at least not being accepted by computers which causes you to have to go through a line? It has happened to us at least two times.

Have yall had much experience in the last 10 years or so of Global Entry not being accepted or at least not being accepted by computers which causes you to have to go through a line? It has happened to us at least two times.
No. The only hiccup I’ve ever had was arriving in Atlanta once when I was probably the tenth person from my flight to arrive at the kiosks and everyone in front of me was older folks who couldn’t figure out how the technology worked. I ended up having to wait 10-15 minutes while one of the staff walked every single one of them through how to do it. Meanwhile, we were the only flight arriving at that time, so the regular lines were completely empty. Would have been quicker without GE, lol.

No. The only hiccup I’ve ever had was arriving in Atlanta once when I was probably the tenth person from my flight to arrive at the kiosks and everyone in front of me was older folks who couldn’t figure out how the technology worked. I ended up having to wait 10-15 minutes while one of the staff walked every single one of them through how to do it. Meanwhile, we were the only flight arriving at that time, so the regular lines were completely empty. Would have been quicker without GE, lol.
We were in a slow moving line about 100 yds long in ATL. Of course the rude workers there were yelling at people to line up single file, lol.
Other was in DC. I'm not sure which airport, but dirty/nasty, and nothing worked there. Half the restrooms were closed.

Last edited:
We were in a slow moving line about 100 yds long in ATL. Of course the rude POS workers there were yelling at people to line up single file, lol.
Other was in DC. I'm not sure which airport, but dirty/nasty, and nothing worked there. Half the restrooms were closed.
Sounds like Dulles. I actually like Reagan, but Dulles is always gross.

The Amalfi Coast, Italy, Amalfi itself is worth a visit. Besides the town itself, go up into the hills and explore. Of the islands, Ischia was my favorite. It’s a bit more laid back. The little harbor on the south side is clean and quiet. Cycle around the island. Go up into the hills. Eat the local rabbit if you get the chance.

Morning all.

Wife and I are about to take our first real vacation for us since a 2019 trip to Japan (all our trips to Peru for family time don't count to me). The only time pressure on it is ending in Bilbao, Spain around the 7th of October to visit one of her cousins that lives there, and all the aunts and other cousins that will be visiting at that time (so I guess we are getting family time anyway). We also need to be back to DC by the 20th of October.

She has a huge list of wants for the trip, but we're planning to start somewhere in Italy in early to mid-September. I prefer countryside, but she wants to see literally all the cities of Italy, the Amalfi Coast, plus Barcelona and Madrid. I understand this is impossible, she maybe understands it's impossible, and I need a scapegoat to sacrifice some of the places off our list (you all will do :) ).

As we've never been to Europe, I need a little help planning this out. We are really open to anything, but the important notes are we are both fluent in Spanish, are probably more "cultural" tourists that prefer a trip that's a little less instagram-y and a little more real, and at least one of us (me) is a massive history/religion buff. I'm thinking we have to do Rome and see at least some of the touristy stuff there, but beyond that I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help AT ALL is appreciated, and I'm off work most of this week so I can answer any questions too.
Italy, if anything is underrated. It's that good. It's something of a contradiction to say you don't want to go to the sites that Instagrammy people like to pose before but also do want to see the things a "massive history/religion buff" would want to see. They are the same places. You just have to bring your own attitude to bear on what you are doing.

There is always the temptation to try to find the hidden gem, but really you can't beat the major destinations: Rome, Florence, Venice, which are connected by train. Those are three different eras of history (and Rome is multiple or eternal, as they say). And each features truly world class museums. Also the food is exquisite, and different in each. Italian food is a generic term here but in Italy all foods are known as regional cuisines. I think you would want to stay at least 5 days in each of those places.

Now if you want to see a modern northern city that also has a lot of history and great food, I would include Milan. One of our favorite places is Cinque Terre, and if you like to hike it is perfect: the trail goes from amazingly picturesque seaside town to seaside town up and down the side of mountain. Vernazza was our home base there. The seafood is unbelievable, especially after hiking. And Italian hiking, my friend, means that a half a day's hike on your way you will come upon a great restaurant with meals from scratch in the middle of nowhere and with a view. There are boats you can catch back to your starting point: you only hike one way. Or you can just admire the beautiful towns from a boat. You can take a day trip from Florence to Sienna, which is great, and also to the vineyards and olive groves in the countryside, and to San Gimignano if you like. You can also make a easy train stop at Pisa (for lunch and see the famous buildings in an hour) between Cinque Terre and Florence. The best beaches we have been to are in Sardinia, which is gorgeous, but know the water will be colder than Spain or especially some place like the beautiful sand of Destin. This would easily devour your month before Spain. Turin is also nice. Some places we haven't been yet but want to see are Lake Como in the foothills of the Alps and similarly, farther east, the Dolomites (again, especially if you like to hike). The foodie capital of Italy is Bologna and that is on our to do list. It lies between Florence and Venice. This area of Italy is known as Emilia-Romagna. The names of nearby towns will be familiar to diners: Parma and Modena. Ravena is also there and not boring if you are interested in stunning mosaics from the Byzantine Empire/Easterm Church: it is second only to Istanbul/Constantinople in that respect. Dante is buried there.

We have never been south of Rome. The Amalfi Coast is said to be amazing. And we would like to see Sicily. If you do want to go to an out of the way place where tourists will be encountered less often, look at Puglia and Calabria perhaps. But I would not miss the places I mentioned to be "original." The things you will see in the major sites are originals.

I would recommend that you get a paper copy of the green Michelin guide. Yes you would have to buy it ($20?), but it is merely a rounding error on the cost of the trip. And you can take it with you. The important sites are reliably identified and ranked, and I have learned to trust the rankings. I find it much easier and more reliable than scampering around the internet. When you see all the art and historical sites laid out like that, you will flip. And the book includes histories and a lot of architectural and cultural information about each site. You can use it to plan days roughly and identify what you want to see in each place. But the internet is great for photos. And also hotel reservations. If you really love museums, you will want to reread parts of your art history book from back in the day, or get one at a library. The places nearest the tourist sites are not your best bets for restaurants. The food is not as good and the prices are higher. But I have never had a bad meal in Italy. The people are very warm and charming and exceptionally nice if you love Italy. I think it is the kind of person who expects things to be the way they are "back home" who turn off the locals (everywhere). Tell them you love Italy and they will love you back. You are going to have to wait in lines. It's just part of the deal. Look around and enjoy yourself. A lot of Italian restaurants close between lunch and dinner. Don't expect all day dining. There are florists everywhere: buy your bride flowers! You can probably pick up phrases fairly easy since you speak Spanish.

P.S. I love Lima. Best ceviche in the world!

Last edited:
Headed for a trip to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, and Munich next week. Anyone got ideas for must sees or more importantly must eats?
We haven't been to Berlin, Dresden, or Munich yet but they are on the list. For some reason (aka my wife), we keep going back to Paris. Prague is an absolute delight. One of our favorite places we've been to over here. Try a beer spa (picture below). I think I've posted some pictures in the travel thread in the Endzone. This weekend I'll dig up the names of the restaurants we visited.
PXL_20220529_164238790.jpg

I can attest to the charms on the Amalfi Coast. Amalfi itself shouldn’t be missed. Pizzeria Donna Stella is a fabulous family run place. Go when it’s not raining and eat under the lemon trees. Don’t just stick to the coastal towns. Explore the hills.

Headed for a trip to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, and Munich next week. Anyone got ideas for must sees or more importantly must eats?
In Berlin, the German History Museum and the whole complex of art museums just on the east side of the Gate (Museum Island) (especially the Pergamon), the Brandenburg Gate. The DDR museum is fun. The Berlin Wall. Walking tours for WWII and the Cold War are excellent. Checkpoint Charlie. The Philharmonic and opera if you're so inclined; one of those crazy all-night clubs perhaps, if you not. In summer the "beaches" (Strands) on the river: a really fun scene. Boat ride on the river. The Reichstag, including the dome. Beer gardens for some people. Day (train) trip to nearby Potsdam. I think my favorite restaurants were an Alsatian restaurant (don't remember the name but can't be too many), Das Meisterstück for sausage, the street vendors are fun. Chocolate at Rausch. How could I have forgotten: you have to get a Döner (Turkish gyro); there are joints all over and they are cheap and fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: EasternVol
We haven't been to Berlin, Dresden, or Munich yet but they are on the list. For some reason (aka my wife), we keep going back to Paris. Prague is an absolute delight. One of our favorite places we've been to over here. Try a beer spa (picture below). I think I've posted some pictures in the travel thread in the Endzone. This weekend I'll dig up the names of the restaurants we visited.
View attachment 562702
A wife who loves Paris: a good sign imo. 💃

View attachment 562702
Looks wonderful, thanks for any ideas

VN Store

Back