UT under potential NCAA investigation for NIL

SCOTUS drug NCAA thru the mud and gave them a tail whopping for the world to see. NCAA is toothless. BUT, SCOTUS did give NCAA power over pay for play, the only thing they can abuse their power on.

It is still illegal to entice any prospect by NIL. It is still illegal to even offer a prospect a NIL deal. NIL is for students after they are signed. But now find me a school anywhere that waits until after a prospect is already on campus. Notice Florida (Rashada) and UT (Nico) are the bullseye for the NCAA since their #s were public knowledge. Nothing more than NCAA trying to save face.
You don't have to be enrolled at a "State Institution of Higer Learning" to get an NIL deal in the State of Tennessee. That means you can offer a prospect a deal. If a NIL deal is to truly compensate an athlete for their Name, Image, Likeness it's impossible to prove pay to play.

On the negative recruiting angle, I get that teams will try it but couldn’t it possibly backfire? If I was a blue chip recruit, I want the money so I’d take my chances, especially if I’m planning on leaving early for the NFL. That and the fact that the NCAA is notorious for taking forever on cases and I can always transfer anyway.

NCAA is pissed at Michigan...so they're looking to hammer an SEC team..
If course Tennessee seems the easy target.

The NCAA cant do anything
The NCAA DID fine Miami because a booster had contact with a recruit or two on behalf of the university. That was post-NIL.

IF a booster from UT, as is alleged, made contact with Nico and flew him around and whatever on behalf of UT, it's the same thing Miami got fined for.

That's all IF...... since none of us know what's being alleged, but that seems to be scenario that's emerging. Donors STILL can't engage directly in recruiting.

Reactions: WOKI and Lekvolrrah
I’m admittedly ignorant on this stuff, but if the private plane ride was via Spyre and not the university, why does this matter?
Maybe the plane was owned by a booster instead of Spyre. But I would think as long as it was ultimately done through Spyre it's ok

Reactions: norrislakevol
I'm not saying she shouldn't. I'm just seeing that ESPN did an "open records" request and got the letter.

Unless ESPN had some kind of wind of this before, it's doubtful they asked for it and got it today. Also, the fact that they got it and IF they got it really quickly means UT knew this was coming, knew the letter was strong, and knew it would send the message that they wanted.

Donde definitely did the right thing, but I don't think this story just "popped up" out of the blue on reporters. I'll bet there's been rumors and obviously ESPN went digging for the UT to NCAA letter and knew what to ask for.
They were absolutely loaded for bear. A letter like this don’t just appear in 24 hours.

I’d bet the GC’s office has had a working draft for weeks; likely before the meeting at issue.

Maybe the plane was owned by a booster instead of Spyre. But I would think as long as it was ultimately done through Spyre it's ok
Yeah maybe so. Seems like that’s pretty challenging to argue when someone is wearing their university booster hat vs. their donor collective hat. Guessing there’s plenty of folks that donate to both.

They were absolutely loaded for bear. A letter like this don’t just appear in 24 hours.

I’d bet the GC’s office has had a working draft for weeks; likely before the meeting at issue.

Actually they can appear like that. People do respond very quickly at times.

Yeah a Vols fan allowed Spyre to use it. What’s the difference between that and donating millions to the collective? Miami dude IS their collective and hasn’t received a sniff.
SEC and private litigants are so far up that guy’s butt I don’t think there’s room for the NCAA besides.

No clue who this guy is......but leaving this here

This is so dumb. First of all no one flies to campus. They fly to an airport so if there was any meeting between him and the donor or spyre while in town who cares if he also went on campus. Will we get in trouble if he ate at Calhouns because he was so close to Neyland too?

Michigan legitimately cheats and wins a natty
We get picked on for nothing. Typical

VN Store

Back