UT under potential NCAA investigation for NIL

I get the vitriol at Forde, but he didn't make this up. The fact that we have the letter from Donde Plowman out means there is an investigation or allegation against UT. Forde is an ass, but he's not just inventing this...... or Donde is playing along with him, which I highly doubt.

As for paper trails, folks don't fly around in corporate or school airplanes without paper trails because the expenses are handled by bean counters and private airplane rides ain't cheap. If it's about an airplane trip, somebody had to sign off on it somewhere.

I don't think there's many people accusing Forde of making it up.

There's just a lot of people telling Pat Forde -- and by extension the NCAA -- to bend over backward and kiss their own asses. Donde Plowman, she who is stout of heart and strong of backhand, being one of them.

I get the vitriol at Forde, but he didn't make this up. The fact that we have the letter from Donde Plowman out means there is an investigation or allegation against UT. Forde is an ass, but he's not just inventing this...... or Donde is playing along with him, which I highly doubt.

As for paper trails, folks don't fly around in corporate or school airplanes without paper trails because the expenses are handled by bean counters and private airplane rides ain't cheap. If it's about an airplane trip, somebody had to sign off on it somewhere.
It's entirely possible (even likely) that he stretched the truth- note his weasel words in his headline. The NCAA has been on campus for months (per Hubbs). I am certain they caught wind that Plowman was sick of their sh*t and therefore queued up their buddy to help defend their honor. They're useless whiny bureaucrats- it's par for the course.

As far as paper trails, sure, there's a paper trail. If UT isn't specifically part of it, it's none of the NCAA's business.

We are not the only ones being investigated. It's likely the ncaa leaked it and got an unexpected response from UT. Forde ran with it because he likes dragging UT and knows he'll get a response. Last gaps of the dinosaurs

.... but as long as the school or employees of the school didn't arrange it or pay for it, then there is no problem, unless Spyre made Iamaleava's NIL deal contingent upon playing for Tennessee.

It’s been fun. If they are major violations. We are going to get hammered. Going to suck for another 10.
Ncaa so upset w Bama and UGA that they are going to make an example of us. Am quite positive that nothing going on at UT that’s not going on literally everywhere. This will go nowhere.

CBS Sports reporting it’s partially over Nico’s NIL deal.

Snore…..

Thanks for the link and I must say trying to read and understand the rules that schools are supposed to follow ---it makes your head explode trying to decipher what the actual rules are. This whole thing is the biggest mess with all the changes in the last 2 years it's almost impossible to expect schools to follow rules that no one understands, that keep changing.

From what I’m hearing, the NCAA is trying to
Retroactively punish TN for rules that weren’t established at the time. It’s total BS. Thai will be a big nothing burger at the end of the day. The NCAA has zero power to enforce crap now. This power grab will be the end of he NCAA. If all the schools say F U and fight back, it’s over the NCAA.

.... but as long as the school or employees of the school didn't arrange it or pay for it, then there is no problem, unless Spyre made Iamaleava's NIL deal contingent upon playing for Tennessee.
If we broke one of only 2 rules then we deserve it. I hope we aren't that stupid given what we were going through at the time

It's not that he is making anything up, he's just putting the most negative spin on it possible. Which is exactly what he would do. Other accounts are more circumspect.

Reactions: SmokinBob
It's entirely possible (even likely) that he stretched the truth- note his weasel words in his headline. The NCAA has been on campus for months (per Hubbs). I am certain they caught wind that Plowman was sick of their sh*t and therefore queued up their buddy to help defend their honor. They're useless whiny bureaucrats- it's par for the course.

As far as paper trails, sure, there's a paper trail. If UT isn't specifically part of it, it's none of the NCAA's business.
The reaction from Donde Plowman certainly seems like SOMETHING is going on

Reading between the lines, the Plowman letter was obtained via some kind of "freedom of information" request, so this has been percolating under the radar for awhile. Those kinds of requests need to be specific so there's been wind of something out there. Why else would there have been a request for that letter?

Something is definitely up. With the NCAA, who knows what BUT Plowman saw it as serious enough to fire back with guns blazing.

Reactions: Palm Beach Vol
Don’t know about Bama, but UGA has always had a massive and aggressive NIL program that is at the top. How do the members of the football team all drive cars worth 80K and up, and those 85 players are in the top 3% of wage earners in GA.
Well, you'd be wrong about that. The players at UGA that make money are guys that aren't part of the Classic City Collective and are assisted getting outside endorsement deals. The kids in the collective aren't getting multi million dollar deals. Heck, the complaint around the UGA collective is they are constantly being outbid. Look no further than Caleb Downs and OSU's last minute offer. If UGA was going to ante up for someone, it would be a player like Downs.

The reaction from Donde Plowman certainly seems like SOMETHING is going on

Reading between the lines, the Plowman letter was obtained via some kind of "freedom of information" request, so this has been percolating under the radar for awhile. Those kinds of requests need to be specific so there's been wind of something out there. Why else would there have been a request for that letter?

Something is definitely up. With the NCAA, who knows what BUT Plowman saw it as serious enough to fire back with guns blazing.
She should fight back if her university's name is being dragged by a corrupt org.

They will try. The problem is that Congress can't legislate against NIL without nullifying the Interstate Commerce Act, and that's not going to happen.

If they do try to weasel sound it, it will get thrown out by SCOTUS.

The bottom line is that what the NCAA is doing is a backdiir trying to conrr
Drugs? ETOH? Flying booger attack? You OK?

Why would they have strong NIL programs? They perfected paying under the table before NIL. Saban left almost specifically because of NIL. No longer could Alabama's host of shadowy bag men give them as much advantage.

So no, I think UGA and Bama are the LEAST likely to have an NIL violation because they are still working to transition from their old system.
Saban has had like 20 top 5 classes in a row and used the portal to supplement his roster to the point of having the top rated roster in the nation last yr. I don't think he retired because he was worried that the Bama network wouldn't buy him enough players.

Reactions: Zues1
Well, you'd be wrong about that. The players at UGA that make money are guys that aren't part of the Classic City Collective and are assisted getting outside endorsement deals. The kids in the collective aren't getting multi million dollar deals. Heck, the complaint around the UGA collective is they are constantly being outbid. Look no further than Caleb Downs and OSU's last minute offer. If UGA was going to ante up for someone, it would be a player like Downs.

Saints in dawgs clothing

It doesn’t. Just reminding you of all the glass in your own house, pal.

Holy Crap, 2015 was ten years ago? Wait a minute… 😂
Uh, the Que took Uga's collar and became the offical mascot in 2015. He was 2 yrs old at the time. You can have you're minute back.

It figures. Just when things look like they are going great. If it’s NIL related? Well most wanted players getting paid. This is the crap that happens. I fully expect us to get in trouble yet again. Negative recruiting will start up yet again. Great.

She should fight back if her university's name is being dragged by a corrupt org.
I'm not saying she shouldn't. I'm just seeing that ESPN did an "open records" request and got the letter.

Unless ESPN had some kind of wind of this before, it's doubtful they asked for it and got it today. Also, the fact that they got it and IF they got it really quickly means UT knew this was coming, knew the letter was strong, and knew it would send the message that they wanted.

Donde definitely did the right thing, but I don't think this story just "popped up" out of the blue on reporters. I'll bet there's been rumors and obviously ESPN went digging for the UT to NCAA letter and knew what to ask for.

VN Store

Back