UT under potential NCAA investigation for NIL

Who cares in this current world of NIL? It’s a total non-story. I feel like I’ve read over the last couple weeks that like 10 major schools are under investigation right now.
Sure, the ncaa bent and now they can’t control anything. No indefensible rules. They allowed free agency and the chickens come home to roost. The ncaa should investigate itself

Factually, an individual bragged about picking up Nico in a private plane, and rolling out the red carpet and spending money for his NIL recruitment. Should we tell them to stuff it? Yes. Was one of Spyres donors stupid? Yes. Is it lack of control? No. This knucklehead shouldn’t have bragged and we wouldn’t be here. I can tell you that most people in the AD and in Spyre are really pissed at both the NCAA and this individual.
This is how I hope this goes. Donors with big wallets and big mouths get told that NIL doesn't mean you can brag now about everything you do.

If it's a plane ride and whatever perks, meh.... let the NCAA toss a fine at us and let that donor personally pay it.

I like Donde and UT getting out ahead of this sort of thing. I don't think the NCAA has the juice to go after an NIL issue with more than a fine and a "rules clarification," possibly just the latter.

Reactions: TC 83
Honestly, there is really nothing the NCAA can do as they will lose in court. Also are you really going to come after us and leave every program in the SEC alone? Just stupid reporting.

Reactions: Lekvolrrah
But, he is deliberating on whether to come back to GA based on the value of the NIL. That, according to the numb nuts at the NCAA is against the rules.
Geez man give it up. He's coming back because this yr's draft is QB heavy and some believe he has a chance to be the 1st QB taken in the 25 draft. For example, the top 6 players in the draft will sign contracts worth over 30 mil. Falling to 15 reduces that number to 17.5 mil. He's coming back because he thinks waiting one yr will net him at least 13 mil. The collective vs free market NIL value is a completely different equation and his camp believes he'll do much better handling his own endorsement deals and history would suggest it's the prudent call.

Having said that, everybody pushes the envelope and based on what I've seen so far, the most I expect from this episode at UT will result in no more than a strongly worded statement and a slap on the wrist.

Paul Finebaum said the two reporters that broke the Tennessee story are big time reporters. He was very surprised.
One is MSNBC, one New York Times. These are reporters that cover Trump investigations etc.
Obviously this was leaked to them, most likely someone in the NCAA. They are not people that normally report on sports stories.
I'm not sure what Paul Finebaum is talking about. The New York Times added some detail concerning what the NCAA's investigation involves - a private jet flight to Knoxville for Nico Iamaleava during his recruitment - but Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated had the story up first. He was quickly followed by The Knoxville News-Sentinel, who was the first to publish Donde Plowman's letter.

Reactions: Volbrando
I'm not sure what Paul Finebaum is talking about. The New York Times added some detail concerning what the NCAA's investigation involves - a private jet flight to Knoxville for Nico Iamaleava during his recruitment - but Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated had the story up first. He was quickly followed by The Knoxville News-Sentinel, who was the first to publish Donde Plowman's letter.
and we all know Forde is a wad

Is it possible the other reporters were fed the story and passed it on to Forde as it's not in their wheelhouse 🤷

Geez man give it up. He's coming back because this yr's draft is QB heavy and some believe he has a chance to be the 1st QB taken in the 25 draft. For example, the top 6 players in the draft will sign contracts worth over 30 mil. Falling to 15 reduces that number to 17.5 mil. He's coming back because he thinks waiting one yr will net him at least 13 mil. The collective vs free market NIL value is a completely different equation and his camp believes he'll do much better handling his own endorsement deals and history would suggest it's the prudent call.

Having said that, everybody pushes the envelope and based on what I've seen so far, the most I expect from this episode at UT will result in no more than a strongly worded statement and a slap on the wrist.
Whatever you say. It isn’t worth continuing the discussion over. My point was that every school is providing incentives to go or stay there with very little guidelines provided by the NCAA. For anyone to think that their school is above the fray is near sighted.

Reactions: wmcovol
This is how I hope this goes. Donors with big wallets and big mouths get told that NIL doesn't mean you can brag now about everything you do.

If it's a plane ride and whatever perks, meh.... let the NCAA toss a fine at us and let that donor personally pay it.

I like Donde and UT getting out ahead of this sort of thing. I don't think the NCAA has the juice to go after an NIL issue with more than a fine and a "rules clarification," possibly just the latter.
The NCAA cant do anything

No one has any details. Forde doesn't need any to crap on UT
if this is just a grasping at straws, attempt at being first to report without fact checking. school should file demation suit against forde.

And you're telling me that TN, who willingly paid millions to put its neck on the line. Meanwhile Ole Miss, Florida, LSU are all back at it.

And we did this? I call BS. So we cheated to land a top 15 class??? I dont buy it.

Factually, an individual bragged about picking up Nico in a private plane, and rolling out the red carpet and spending money for his NIL recruitment. Should we tell them to stuff it? Yes. Was one of Spyres donors stupid? Yes. Is it lack of control? No. This knucklehead shouldn’t have bragged and we wouldn’t be here. I can tell you that most people in the AD and in Spyre are really pissed at both the NCAA and this individual.
Probably that DA that used to post and have a cult following in the Recruiting Forum and openly claimed to be a bag man, which made him either FOS or dumber than a sack of hammers.

Reactions: Zues1
Saban has had like 20 top 5 classes in a row and used the portal to supplement his roster to the point of having the top rated roster in the nation last yr. I don't think he retired because he was worried that the Bama network wouldn't buy him enough players.

How do you think Saban got those top 5 classes? Im not saying Alabama couldnt have a great NIL program, I am just not sure Saban wanted to do the change he knew was needed. Im sure things would have gone mostly good for him as usual but every year its harder. Now places like Texas and TN and others are able to put money on the table in a direct way. Not that Bama cant compete, they absolutely can BUT they are not the only show in town anymore who can pay them the mega bucks. Now there is real competition.

Kirby has done a fantastic job considering they dont have a great NIL. But the playing field will continue to get harder for recruiting.

Investigation is for violations of rules that weren’t in place at the time. Tennessee followed the guidelines that were in place. Basically they’re looking for more dirt and know we’re an easy target bc we’re still on probation and have one of the highest profile NIL athletes that will be a starter next year on a high profile team. Plowman basically nicely told them this isn’t going to happen without severe repercussions.

This goes away at the end of the day but it really screw’s Tennessee in recruiting. It’s absolute BS and I hope this is part of what ends that corrupt incompetent organization.
100%. Can’t have violations of stuff when there wasn’t a rule for it. Then when they make a rule, go back and try to punish us retroactively.
However, I don’t think this hurts us at all. NCAA has lost all power and credibility. They don’t have the money to conduct an investigation and to also deal with potential litigation. Plus, each state has different laws
Concerning NIL. NCAA just sealed their fate here. The other schools will tell them to F off as well.

Reactions: GBOx2
I was under the impression UT had a high-dollar, top-notch AD who would be on top of this stuff and ensure it didnt happen again.
So do you know any facts, or just being a typical LOTM whining one? Anything regarding NIL should be quite interesting to enforce. There are no "real" rules and it has been Katy bar the door for what 3 years now? I have been saying NIL will destroy college sports.

How do you think Saban got those top 5 classes? Im not saying Alabama couldnt have a great NIL program, I am just not sure Saban wanted to do the change he knew was needed. Im sure things would have gone mostly good for him as usual but every year its harder. Now places like Texas and TN and others are able to put money on the table in a direct way. Not that Bama cant compete, they absolutely can BUT they are not the only show in town anymore who can pay them the mega bucks. Now there is real competition.

Kirby has done a fantastic job considering they dont have a great NIL. But the playing field will continue to get harder for recruiting.
UGA's got plenty of money. They just don't throw it at unproven high school kids, because they don't have to in order to get them. They are still trying to go the merit based route.

i am begging UT officials to tell the NCAA to pound sand. Either that or or sue them into oblivion. Im talking full discovery...everything. It's time all parties are exposed.
I started a thread back in December pretty much saying if I was Danny White I'd tell NCAA where they could shove their scholarship restrictions. Now I'd be even more resolved to tell them to pound sand. Glad Chancellor Plowman, said hold my beer. She said it better than I would have though. Probably why she's a chancellor and I am not.

Reactions: Vol737
100%. Can’t have violations of stuff when there wasn’t a rule for it. Then when they make a rule, go back and try to punish us retroactively.
However, I don’t think this hurts us at all. NCAA has lost all power and credibility. They don’t have the money to conduct an investigation and to also deal with potential litigation. Plus, each state has different laws
Concerning NIL. NCAA just sealed their fate here. The other schools will tell them to F off as well.
What hurts is the negative recruiting that will be done. It's done by coaches and seeing Tennessee - repeat offender on the ESPN scroll. This needs to get done quickly but it won't be given the ncaa usual speed

Calling Commissioner Sankey…

VOLS here, this is really getting stupid quickly. While NCAA has tried to remain relevant, their actions WRT setting policy for NIL after the Supreme Court spanked them is absolutely confusing, comical, and distracting to our Athletic Department as well as other members of our conference (see Gators).

It’s becoming clearer every day in Knoxville that the NCAA “management” up in Indianapolis is no longer up to the task. Is it time for the SEC to cast-off the antiquated NCAA? That’s a call you need to make for our Conference…. in meantime, please help our entire conference navigate the shifting sands of the NCAA “governance” of our beloved conference.

Go VOLS!

The way that article reads, they state it covers multiple sports. Which clearly indicates this is beyond just Nico, reading the unstated here - they are trying to paint Spyre as being one and the same with the University and they are doing each others bidding.

This is going to get interesting. I’d almost bet the farm they chose UT to make their stand and try to push their agenda because we are already on probation. What better way for them to get in front of the mics and say “they were already cheaters, now look how bad they are” to sell their narrative.

Won’t work in court. Hope they fight this tooth and nail.

VN Store

Back