UT Not Happy LSU game Still at Night

Originally posted by GAVol@Sep 12, 2005 12:40 PM
I've got to say, while I think some of the statements coming from the LSU AD are a little disingenuous, there's no point in doing anything other than figure out how to deal with it.
[snapback]141317[/snapback]​

I don't want anyone on the board to misinterpret my tongue-in-cheek statements as an endorsement of Skip Bertman. He is in the same class of ADs as Frank Broyles. I simply think we need to focus on the task at hand and quit making excuses. We are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more we complain about how tough things are on us, the tougher we perceive them to be.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Sep 12, 2005 12:46 PM
I already shot down all 6 of the "justifications" for playing the game at night.  The push by the LSU AD is documented.  The risks of playing at night, with travel and the social conditions of the area, should be obvious.  The lack of accommodations including flights and hotels is evident.  I'm not sure how bored, argumentative, or ignorant a person has to be to deny any or all of the above.

I have yet to "whine" or "cry," but I believe that the inconvenience is uncalled for and the danger is both real and avoidable.

Oh, and YES, I will be there.
[snapback]141322[/snapback]​

I didn't realize someone had granted you ownership of the truth. The reasons you put forth for forcing the game to be played during the day are: 1. Fueled by your perception that a night game is somehow to UT's disadvantage, 2. Rampant with paranoid "safety" concerns that appear to have racial overtones, and ,finally, 3. Completely oblivious to the horrible precedent that would be set by allowing a road team to dictate the terms under which a game will be played.

This entire issue is Exhibit 1 as to why we are one of the most hated teams in college football.

The push by the LSU AD is documented.
What "push"? The game has always been scheduled to be a night game. LSU plays all of its home games at night against all opponents, unless TV moves it. The AD explained that the campus is back to normal and the game is still on. The only "push" is people on Tennessee message boards "pushing" LSU to change a long-scheduled night game that has already been picked up by ESPN as a 6:45 night game. If CBS had picked it it would have been played in the afternoon. Geez!

LSU-Tennessee Game Set for ESPN at 6:45pm

The lack of accommodations including flights and hotels is evident.  I'm not sure how bored, argumentative, or ignorant a person has to be to deny any or all of the above.
We just don't care, chief. We understand the difference between a minor inconvenience and real problems. I'll put you up on my friggin' couch if you can't find yourself a room. :shades:

Originally posted by geauxscott@Sep 12, 2005 12:48 PM
First off, Bertman is pushing to keep this a night game becuase that is what the LSU fans want (and remember that is what matters).....he is also pushing because he in fact doesn't have the final say so, ESPN does!! If the decision was totally up to him, why would he have to push?

Second, all evacuees are planned to be off of LSU's campus by mid week of this week.......there will be more and more hotels opening up. Hotels will not be a problem.

Its not dangerous here, there is nothing different other than more traffic......stop reading into this so much. I live here and other than extra traffic nothing is different now.

Get over it, your playing at night in Tiger Stadium!
[snapback]141324[/snapback]​

Where excatly are they going to be taking all the evacuees from the hotels. The news we are getting here is that there is a good possibilty the team will not even have rooms in BR. I have a res. in BR but don't really see how I can come down and "ask" someone to give up the only thing they can consider a home so that I can have a comfy place to go after the football game.

To borrow a phrase from the LA riots - can't we all just get along -

To the LSU fans - i think the concern comes from the perception that we are getting from the media attention that has been given this storm. Is it as bad down there as stated??

To the VOL fans - take it easy - everything will be alright - we will get down there early on Saturday and take care of business that night -

Originally posted by bigdaddy@Sep 12, 2005 2:07 PM
Where excatly are they going to be taking all the evacuees from the hotels.  The news we are getting here is that there is a good possibilty the team will not even have rooms in BR.  I have a res. in BR but don't really see how I can come down and "ask" someone to give up the only thing they can consider a home so that I can have a comfy place to go after the football game.
[snapback]141363[/snapback]​

FEMA is setting up temporary living quarters all over Louisiana outside of BR. They have brought in hundreds of trailors and have also purchased many warehouses. A lot are still be placed in surrounding states. There will be hotel rooms available, maybe not too many near LSU but you will be able to find rooms within an hour of BR.

The news we are getting here is that there is a good possibilty the team will not even have rooms in BR.

Wouldn't this be an even bigger problem for the team if it were a day game? It seems to me flying out of Knoxville after a reasonable nights rest would be preferable to an early 'red eye' flight to make an early start. :ermm:

OK, not throwing punches here because that is a bit useless, I am just getting some info from those of you in and around the BR area. I just got off the phone with the hotel I was staying at. They said that they are not honoring any Sept. reservations. I spent about 20 minutes surfing the net for rooms around 60 miles out and everything is sold out or booked up. If we are wanting to come to the game (and by god I know I do) where are some other places to consier looking for a place to stay-campgrounds anywhere. I am more than happy to come down and help out the local economy.

Why did Bertman move the game to ASU?
Only 1 reason and I know what it was!
He is screwing UT and their fans.
NO ESPN does not have final say so PERIOD!

LSU and Bertman are LOW CLASS

I really hope UT hangs 50 on the Fleas

Not taking sides on this but here are a few of the arguments that don't hold as much water as is being claimed.

ESPN dictates time - is that a contractual obligation? Is the school obligated to have the game on ESPN. Vols chose not to play on ESPN for the UAB game. Sounds like scapegoating to me.

Moving the game to day will alleviate concerns of driving while tired/drunk? If the game is during the day, people will have to leave that much earlier. Their total trip time will be the same. They're drive home will still be after dark (for part of the trip). People don't just drink at night games. Bottomline, moving it to the day won't change the amount of sleep people get.

To me the real issues are team accomodations and refunds. If one team is put at a disadvantage due to the scheduling I think that should be taken into consideration. Second, since these are extraordinary circumstances, LSU should revisit the no-refund policy. Perhaps for each refund, they could give the ticket to a storm victim.

Originally posted by volinbham@Sep 12, 2005 2:34 PM
..since these are extraordinary circumstances, LSU should revisit the no-refund policy.  Perhaps for each refund, they could give the ticket to a storm victim.
[snapback]141377[/snapback]​

i think that's a valid thought. otoh, the flip side of that concern (to me anyway) would be; Why ask the area to take a further economical hit with the refunds?

Sept. 12, 2005

Tennessee's game at LSU on Sept. 24 in Tiger Stadium will be televised by ESPN and will kickoff at 7:45 p.m. EDT, the Southeastern Conference announced on Monday.

The matchup against the third-ranked Tigers will serve as LSU's home-opener as the they had to travel to face Arizona State last weekend. LSU's original season-opening game against North Texas was postponed due to Hurricane Katrina and has since been re-scheduled for Oct. 29 in Tiger Stadium.

Tennessee leads the all-time series 19-5-3, including a 7-4-1 mark in Baton Rouge.

The league office also announced that CBS has exercised its six-day window for picking their game on Sept. 24. CBS will select either the Arkansas at Alabama contest or the Florida at Kentucky game.

Jefferson-Pilot will televise the game not selected by CBS, while the Georgia-Mississippi State contest will be televised by ESPN2

Originally posted by bigdaddy@Sep 12, 2005 2:25 PM
If we are wanting to come to the game (and by god I know I do) where are some other places to consier looking for a place to stay-campgrounds anywhere.  I am more than happy to come down and help out the local economy.
Things are changing rapidly around here. I would talk via phone with several hotels in Baton Rouge, McComb, Lafayette, or even Natchez, St Francisville or Alexandria and explain your situation and get on standby. And keep calling-establish a relationship with a reservations manager. The game is two weeks away and rooms will start freeing up as people go back home or move into FEMA apartments and trailers that are being bought up all around south Louisiana. Few can aford to stay in hotels indefinitely. Rental property is being snapped up around town. The persistant and friendly callers will be rewarded with the earliest available rooms.

The same applies to state parks which waived all fees for hurricane evacuees. They will start having more camping spaces available. Probably already do. Louisiana State Parks.

This might be a good game to get a half-dozen people and rent an RV. There are plenty of places around town and the area to park an RV including some pay-lots on campus on game weekend. Good luck.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Sep 12, 2005 12:58 PM
I didn't realize someone had granted you ownership of the truth. The reasons you put forth for forcing the game to be played during the day are: 1. Fueled by your perception that a night game is somehow to UT's disadvantage, 2. Rampant with paranoid "safety" concerns that appear to have racial overtones, and ,finally, 3. Completely oblivious to the horrible precedent that would be set by allowing a road team to dictate the terms under which a game will be played.
[snapback]141331[/snapback]​

I'm not one to flame, but you're comments are infuriating. All three of these points are completely untrue, and any reasonable poster around here can see that you exist on this board to do nothing but stir up trouble.

1. I would normally RATHER play at night, as I enjoy the atmosphere and feel like we play at least as well. I'm not worried about UT's performance as to the game time, whatsoever.

2. YOU played the race card and did so EXTREMELY IGNORANTLY. I have never felt, implied, nor mentioned that racial issues play a role WHATSOEVER. Your comment is absurd.

3. It's a little ridiculous to say that a "horrible precedent" would be set by taking care of the fans for both teams under these unfortunate circumstances.

So, fire back. Call me a racist. Call me a fool. Whatever floats your boat. I'm confident that eveyone can tell who's who.

I'll leave this forum with that. Enjoy the company.

WOW, I HAVE READ ALL THESE POSTS FROM UT FANS, AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY I AM NOT SURPRISED!!! YOU IDIOTS ARE WORRIED ABOUT A STUPID BALLGAME AND LOSING A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY WHILE THOUSANDS OF LOUISIANA CITIZENS LOST EVERYTHING THEY HAVE. IT AINT NO WONDER WE ARE THE MOST HATED TEAM IN THE SEC OR THE NATION. HERES A THOUGHT KEEP YOUR WHINY ASSES AT HOME AND THE WATCH THE GAME ON TV, I WOULD BET SOME LSU FANS WISHED THEY HAD A TV TO WATCH. SHAME ON U!!!!

This has been most entertaining reading all the crying on this thread. I am a long time lurker, but this one takes the cake.

Just a little advice, Vol fans, put your big girl panties on and deal with it.

Originally posted by Vol67@Sep 12, 2005 2:33 PM
Why did Bertman move the game to ASU?
Only 1 reason and I know what it was!
He is screwing UT and their fans.
NO ESPN does not have final say so PERIOD!

LSU and Bertman are LOW CLASS
Are you seriously suggesting that the SEC cancel its arrangement with ESPN and give up a nationally televised matchup between Top-10 teams (assuming UT beats Florida)? How many fans would that inconvenience?

And you are wrong. The SEC has a contract with ESPN and Skip Bertman cannnot change it. LSU is often forced to give up night games for TV against our tradition and our wishes in order to accomodate the SEC contract. Tennessee signed it, too.

You and I have very different opinions on what constitutes low class, chief. :bad:

Originally posted by OneBamaHater@Sep 12, 2005 4:04 PM
This has been most entertaining reading all the crying on this thread.  I am a long time lurker, but this one takes the cake. 

[snapback]141450[/snapback]​

Couldn't agree more.

Originally posted by OneBamaHater@Sep 12, 2005 4:04 PM
This has been most entertaining reading all the crying on this thread.  I am a long time lurker, but this one takes the cake. 

[snapback]141450[/snapback]​

ok so when your driving back from the game at 5 a.m. tired as hell and wham you hit a tree, haha at you.

Originally posted by red55@Sep 12, 2005 4:13 PM
Are you seriously suggesting that the SEC cancel its arrangement with ESPN and give up a nationally televised matchup between Top-10 teams (assuming UT beats Florida)? How many fans would that inconvenience?

And you are wrong. The SEC has a contract with ESPN and Skip Bertman cannnot change it. LSU is often forced to give up night games for TV against our tradition and our wishes in order to accomodate the SEC contract. Tennessee signed it, too.

You and I have very different opinions on what constitutes low class, chief.  :bad:
[snapback]141460[/snapback]​

Red 55, what part of Louisiana do you live in? Do you know of any hot spots to hit in Lafayette?

Originally posted by vols2345@Sep 12, 2005 4:18 PM
ok so when your driving back from the game at 5 a.m. tired as hell and wham you hit a tree,  haha at you.
[snapback]141465[/snapback]​

Why is anyone going to be driving back from the game at 5 A.M.? Kickoff is at 7:45, not midnight.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Sep 12, 2005 4:18 PM
Red 55, what part of Louisiana do you live in? Do you know of any hot spots to hit in Lafayette?
[snapback]141466[/snapback]​
I live in Baton Rouge and work on campus at LSU. I have good friends in Lafayette and I'll get a full report for you tomorrow on eateries and drinkeries there.

Plan on eating some very good seafood and listening to Cajun/Zydeco music and Swamp Pop. There are also some famous seafood restaurants in Breaux Bridge and Henderson between Baton Rouge and Lafayette.

I'll post my "where to eat and drink and pass a good time in Baton Rouge" report next week for you guys.

Originally posted by red55@Sep 12, 2005 4:28 PM
I live in Baton Rouge and work on campus at LSU. I have good friends in Lafayette and I'll get a full report for you tomorrow on eateries and drinkeries there.

Plan on eating some very good seafood and listening to Cajun/Zydeco music and Swamp Pop. There are also some famous seafood restaurants in Breaux Bridge and Henderson between Baton Rouge and Lafayette.

I'll post my "where to eat and drink and pass a good time in Baton Rouge" report next week for you guys.
[snapback]141474[/snapback]​

Thanks. I went to the game in 2000, but we stayed in New Orleans. Didn't get a chance to really see Baton Rouge.

VN Store

Back