UT Not Happy LSU game Still at Night

Arclight

TENNESSEEAN:

UT not happy LSU game still at night

Sought time change to help fans with travel

By CHRIS LOW
Staff Writer

Thousands of University of Tennessee football fans might be on the brink of going from bleeding orange to seeing red.

The rub is that LSU athletic officials are intent on upholding their tradition of playing at night in Tiger Stadium. That means UT fans traveling to the Sept. 24 game in Baton Rouge won't be accommodated as UT Athletics Director Mike Hamilton previously requested.

The game is expected to kick off at either 6 p.m. or 6:45 Central time.

Earlier this week, Hamilton said he asked LSU and Southeastern Conference officials if there was any way the game could be played during the day. Hamilton's rationale: To ease travel concerns for fans, not just those from UT.

This is a road trip that could get ugly, especially with a night game. Because of Hurricane Katrina and the ensuing mass exodus of evacuees, available hotel space is scarce within a 200-mile radius of Baton Rouge.

Conceivably, UT fans braving the trip, either by car or by air, could be pulling an all-nighter after the game is over just to find a warm bed. Baton Rouge is about 660 miles from Knoxville (or 590 from Nashville), leaving traveling fans with a post-game option of driving all night to return home, let alone find an empty hotel room.

Here's the kicker: Tennessee fans planning to stay home and get a ticket refund won't get reimbursed. The Vols sold all 7,000 of their allotted tickets, but LSU Associate Athletics Director Herb Vincent said LSU's policy is to not issue refunds for tickets.

"We want to get back to some sense of normalcy, and our tradition here at LSU is to play night football games," Vincent said. "That is very much our preference for this game."

The starting time for the game is contingent on what ESPN decides to do. ESPN has first choice among the networks when it comes to SEC games that weekend, and the cable network will make its selection on Monday.

If ESPN picks UT-LSU, and for months they have indicated to LSU officials of their plans to do just that, the game would get the 6 p.m. or 6:45 start.

"We don't have any reason to believe that's going to change," Vincent said, referring to ESPN's expressed commitment to the game.

There have been multiple conversations the last few days among LSU Athletics Director Skip Bertman, Hamilton and SEC officials. Said Vincent, "LSU is not trying to be difficult in regard to Tennessee fans, but it's more a case of trying to do what's right for the people of Louisiana."

The main issue now remains hotel rooms. Vincent acknowledged that, at this point, his school can't even guarantee hotel rooms for the UT team.

"As we sit here right now, on Sept. 8, that is an issue," Vincent said. "But in two weeks, we would expect and hope that problem won't exist."

Tennessee Coach Phillip Fulmer strongly opposes the idea of having to fly down the day of the game, playing the game and then returning to Knoxville that same night.

Hamilton has said he would even be willing to split up the team party in separate hotels to ensure getting rooms and not having to go down on the day of the game.

Williams done: The window of opportunity on Gerald Williams' playing football at Tennessee this season apparently is about to slam shut.

Coach Phillip Fulmer said yesterday that the 6-foot-4, 226-pound linebacker/defensive end would likely go home to Lauderdale Lakes, Fla., today. Why? An NCAA Clearinghouse issue still has not been resolved.

"It may be cleared up in two days, five days, six months, I don't know," Fulmer said. "It's tough on him. He looks like he's going to be a real good player, and he's a great young man. It's just a shame. … We've tried everything we can try."

yeah, and if our fans want to go down there, they will have to drive home after the game.

i say f*** lsu, and their stupid traditions.

man, we better blow them off the field.

Well, it could be all about:

1. $$$$ from ESPN

and/or

2. Making it hard on the VOLS

PS: I did not think LSU looked that good against ASU.

You would think that with all the work they are doing down there to help out the victims of the storm they would be willing to help out football fans that have to travel to their stadium. A little compromise would be in order since there is no availability of hotel rooms.

Come on, fellers. Since when does a visiting team make scheduling demands to the network and the home team? It doesn't happen. First Tennessee offered to "host" the game in Knoxville. How kind. Now they're wanting to force the start time to be early.

Fulmer is clearly looking to try to put LSU off of its routine to gain an advantage. Trying to spin this as Tennessee trying to make things "easy" on hurricane victims by moving an established game and LSU as negatively impacting them is ridiculous.

It ain't about hotel rooms. An afternoon game would get driving Knoxville fans home around 5:30 am versus 10:30am. What's the difference? Either way its drive all night or find a hotel room. An early afternoon game would make Tennessee fans have to take a Friday night room anyway. Many more rooms will be available in two weeks. People can't afford to stay in hotels forever. FEMA is setting up huge trailer parks to move displaced persons to.

This game has always been scheduled as a night game. All LSU home games are played at night, unless moved for TV, and everybody knows it. Its friggin' hot in south Louisiana in September. CBS did not pick up this game on their pre-season afternoon schedule and ESPN broadcasts night games. Thats the way it is.

People have been dying around here and Tennessee is making an issue out of its fans perhaps being inconvenienced. Hell, 85,000 LSU ticket holders will lose a lot more hotel rooms than 7,000 Tennessee fans. Shreveport is a long way from Baton Rouge.

LSU no more owes Tennessee fans a hotel room than Tennessee owes hotel rooms to any school it plays. LSU will make sure the Tennessee team has rooms.

Tennessee is losing the PR battle by claiming to be a victim here. We've seen victims aplenty lately and Tennessee ticket holders are not among them. Better strap it on, come down, and be ready to play a night game. Believe me, if Tennessee fans have ever sat in the sun in a south Louisiana afternoon in September, they will be glad the game is at night. It doesn't start getting cool in Louisiana until late October.

LSU is Low Class.

LSU doesn't care about UT or its team or fans. LSU and Skip Bertman doesn't care about the people of Louisiana or Baton Rouge. All they care about is playing the game when and how they want. They Do Not want UT fans there, They want UT to have to fly down the day of the game. They have to have every advantage for their Lame team. They will now and forever join Ole Miss as the team I will pull against in every game they play.

I cant agree with you on this one man. You say since when does the away team make demands? Well I would say ever since a hurricane hit baton Rouge and made it almost impossible to play a game there. I just don't see why we are going to have a night game start around 8, game gets over around 12, and then Everyone has to drive 4 hours to find a hotel. There is no reason for this. LSU has it in there power to change it and they should. Screw the night game traditon, Tradition is thrown out the window when half of your state is deystroyed and there are no hotels for fans to go to.

Originally posted by Vol67@Sep 11, 2005 4:18 PM
LSU is Low Class.

LSU doesn't care about UT or its team or fans. LSU and Skip Bertman doesn't care about the people of Louisiana or Baton Rouge. All they care about is playing the game when and how they want. They Do Not want UT fans there, They want UT to have to fly down the day of the game. They have to have every advantage for their Lame team. They will now and forever join Ole Miss as the team I will pull against in every game they play.
[snapback]140879[/snapback]​

Agreed!

Originally posted by Vol67+Sep 11, 2005 3:18 PM-->
LSU doesn't care about UT or its team or fans.
The UT team will be housed. The fans are UT's responsibility, not LSU's. Does Tennessee guarantee hotel rooms to its visitors? No. Look, there is no gas shortage and regular is $2.45 here. More hotel rooms are becoming available. The game ain't for weeks. Don't be such a crybaby.

Originally posted by Vol67@Sep 11, 2005 3:18 PM
LSU and Skip Bertman doesn't care about the people of Louisiana or Baton Rouge.
Hell he doesn't. He doing exactly what the people of Louisiana and Baton Rouge wish. Its the way its always been done. The game has long been scheduled at night unless moved for TV. LSU hasn't done anything to Tennessee but follow its long-established traditions. Which you have no respect for. No way is Skip Bertman going to inconvenience 85,000 LSU fans to appease 7,000 visitors who would not like to sit in the semi-tropical sun anyway.

<!--QuoteBegin-vols2345

LSU has it in there power to change it and they should.
Actually the game time is set by the televison networks once the game has been chosen. LSU has nothing to do with it. CBS passed on an afternoon game. ESPN plays at night. It&#39;s very simple.

The extenuating circumstances of the current situation in Louisiana should have played a factor in the decision making... they moved the ASU game to Arizona just because of these facts.

The AD of LSU stated that there may not even be hotel rooms for the TEAM. THE FREAKIN&#39; TEAM&#33; How sad... and if you&#39;re going to make it as difficult as you can for ppl to come to the game, at least give refunds, I&#39;m sure you could sell those tix to stupid LSU fans anyway... dear lord, what a jerk.

Am I the only one that thinks there is no way thateven 70,000 people show up to that game. Do you know how many of them people were coming out of south louisianna to go to the game and now can&#39;t cause they are either in houston or have no transportation to get to the game.

I have never been more ashamed to be a Tennessee alum and fan. Our fans sound like a group of shrieking babies. We need to toughen up. Boo Hoo, I guess the lack of hotel rooms will result in a UT loss.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Sep 11, 2005 7:22 PM
I have never been more ashamed to be a Tennessee alum and fan. Our fans sound like a group of shrieking babies. We need to toughen up. Boo Hoo, I guess the lack of hotel rooms will result in a UT loss.
[snapback]141024[/snapback]​

No the lack of hotels and having to have to drive for 4 to 5 hours in the middle of the night will lead to serious probems like falling asleep at the wheel........... I&#39;m sorry If I am worries about my fellow fans getting hurt cause LSU wants everyone to drive untill 5 a.m. in the morning looking for somewhere to sleep.

Originally posted by vols2345@Sep 11, 2005 7:27 PM
No the lack of hotels and having to have to drive for 4 to 5 hours in the middle of the night will lead to serious probems like falling asleep at the wheel...........  I&#39;m sorry If I am worries about my fellow fans getting hurt cause LSU wants everyone to drive untill 5 a.m. in the morning looking for somewhere to sleep.
[snapback]141030[/snapback]​

Yeah, I&#39;m sure Skip Bertman set up the hurricane to force Tennessee fans to drive at night. He is a true evil genius.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Sep 11, 2005 7:32 PM
Yeah, I&#39;m sure Skip Bertman set up the hurricane to force Tennessee fans to drive at night. He is a true evil genius.
[snapback]141035[/snapback]​

Where did I say that. All I am saying is that He should consider all factors and realize that with the weakend security around the louissiana area and the fact that everyone would have to be up to 5 a.m. to find a place to sleep, the wisest thing to do would be to have a day game. It would be better for both parties.

Actually, you misunderstood my comments COMPLETELY.

I&#39;m pissed because the world seems to care more about Louisianna sports than the bigger picture, and THE nation&#39;s biggest tragedy in our lifetimes.

This was a STORM that was as bad as it is because people didn&#39;t get thier asses up and out when they should have, and the local government didnt go get the ones that couldnt get out.

9-11 was an attack on innocent people that simply had NO WARNING what so ever that anything was going to happen.

I talked about the game in Baton Rouge because that is the SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD.

I think that Skip and LSU care more about LSU sports than the PEOPLE that have survived.

Again, I&#39;m glad you don&#39;t run this place, because if you would ban me because you disagree with me, you don&#39;t need to be in that position.

Well, after our little discourse about "option offenses" I was considering if I wanted to be here or not. However, I agree with you %100 on this issue. It&#39;s absurd that the anniversary of September 11th has been totally ignored by the sports media in favor of the latest disaster in New Orleans and other parts of the gulf coast. While it is an awful occurence that has affected many lives, there was plenty of warning for everybody to get out. If the powers that be in Baton Rouge and the media were really interested in making things better for everyone concerned, they would be willing to make concessions to accomidate their visitors and move on with the relief efforts.

hman- I hope you don&#39;t get in trouble for that post, but I appreciate you having the guts to agree with me.

I&#39;m very upset that LSU has chosen to do what they think is best for their football team, over what is best for those that have survived this storm, and have the right to go to a game and have a good time.

Originally posted by Arclight@Sep 11, 2005 2:03 PM
The Vols sold all 7,000 of their allotted tickets, but LSU Associate Athletics Director Herb Vincent said LSU&#39;s policy is to not issue refunds for tickets.

"LSU is not trying to be difficult in regard to Tennessee fans, but it&#39;s more a case of trying to do what&#39;s right for the people of Louisiana."
[snapback]140788[/snapback]​

I&#39;ll admit that I was hoping the game was moved here for 2 reasons...

One, it would save me hundreds between my flight, hotel, ticket, etc.

And two, it would ease our furocious road schedule just a little.

EVERYONE knows it&#39;s to LSU&#39;s benefit to make it hard on our team and fans, so I&#39;m not sure what irritates me more about this issue...that fact that the LSU folks actually think people believe that it&#39;s all about what&#39;s &#39;right for the people of Louisianna&#39;... or the fact that an airline AND hotel have both already e-mailed to inform me that because of this catastrophe, they regret to have to cancel my flight and hotel rooms, and I will be receiving a full refund ~ yet LSU&#39;s "policy is not to issue refunds".

Guess what LSU?? Neither was the airline&#39;s or hotel&#39;s, but when disaster strikes, we put dumba&#036;&#036; policies aside&#33; :furious3:

I don&#39;t blame you for not wanting us Vol fans there, but at least take your damn tickets back and sell them to people that can get there. Or here&#39;s a thought...since your ONLY concern is doing right by the people, let the victims of Katrina come for free and use our seats&#33;

Sorry for the rant...I got increasingly more angry as I typed&#33;
:wacko: :bash: :aggressive: :biteme:

Originally posted by hatvol96@Sep 11, 2005 8:22 PM
[snapback]141024[/snapback]​

You I guess aren&#39;t much of a fan since you see nothing wrong with UT having to possibly fly down the day of the game. I guess you see nothing wrong with fans having to go down for a night game when parts of Baton Rouge is under curfew. I guess since ASU saw nothing wrong with it, oops, seems ASU did have a problem with it also. LSU and Stinky Bertman should at least move this to a day game, instead he is looking for every angle to help his team win and using a horrible situation as cover-up for his and his university&#39;s classlessness.
UT needs ASU&#39;s AD, he at least has some cahones, which obvoiusly Mike Hamilton doesn&#39;t.

I would be MUCH more irate about this if I hadn&#39;t have watched that pitiful LSU team playing ASU this weekend. Their team is a paper tiger. We could walk to the game from Knoxville and still be fresh enough to beat their candy-a&#036;&#036;es.

LSU. You are showing just how pitiful you are. If you need to do this to try and win a ballgame, you are pitiful.

VN Store

Back