UT cancels classes

I didn’t read the thread. This is... how do you say.....a “dry” post. The experts have chimed in and the arguing has already began up in here I would assume. Be smart. Execute hygiene as it should be executed....and for god sake Pruitt needs to start Harrison Bailey day one.

We have had 4 people die of the flu in our county here in west Tennessee in the last 5 days. No breaking news on CNN, we are treading water because of the rapid spread of fear!

Did they get vaccinated? I don't mean to be harsh but.......

Again, for those who simply can't understand....... There's NO vaccine for this (yet)!.

There's one (and only ONE) way to keep this crap from spreading and that's to limit exposure. If that means cutting back on crowds then so be it! The NCAA Tourney et al will exist without YOU!

If you're so invested in sports that you're willing to become a carrier by subjecting yourself to 20+ thousand people (that you have NO idea whether they've been infected, are carriers, or simply prodromal) then that's on you. I won't be in the arena. Anyone with sense won't either. This sxxt won't stop until there are no carriers left!!!!

I'm young enough that, according to statistics, I'll only get a cough. People around me might not be so lucky. I WON'T be a disease vector if I can help it!!

If you don't give a rat's rear about the people you might infect then that's on YOU. You're a selfish b******!

Seriously..... STOP BEING SELFISH!!! Think about other people than yourself for once!!!!

I agree. Average age of people who die from the corona virus is around 80 years of age. Remind me again how old the vast majority of college age students are?

Infants are also suseptible.

I would imagine those with compromised immune systems and lungs as well as the vape crowd will be at risk too.

Summer break extended until March 23 at Western Carolina U. where my son attends, to give instructors time to devise plans how to proceed. He has labs that require heavy interaction with other students and hands on with materials and equipment, so, this should be interesting. Seems like more time for the kids to contract it and bring it back to school.

Shouldn't this thread be moved? I mean, unless this is Guarantano's fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: cobbwebb0710
World population currently is 7.7 billion. Epidemiologists anticipate infection rate of 70%, those that will get it. Current death rate is 3.4%. Do the math, 180,000,000 dead world wide before this is over. Assuming numbers off by a factor of four only about 45 million die. I'm over 60 with underlying cardiovascular disease, my parents are mid 80's. So yea, anyway to help keep me and my loved ones alive or not sick I'm on board.
you’re wrong on your stats and predictions. It’s not that big of a deal

Again, for those who simply can't understand....... There's NO vaccine for this (yet)!.

There's one (and only ONE) way to keep this crap from spreading and that's to limit exposure. If that means cutting back on crowds then so be it! The NCAA Tourney et al will exist without YOU!

If you're so invested in sports that you're willing to become a carrier by subjecting yourself to 20+ thousand people (that you have NO idea whether they've been infected, are carriers, or simply prodromal) then that's on you. I won't be in the arena. Anyone with sense won't either. This sxxt won't stop until there are no carriers left!!!!

I'm young enough that, according to statistics, I'll only get a cough. People around me might not be so lucky. I WON'T be a disease vector if I can help it!!

If you don't give a rat's rear about the people you might infect then that's on YOU. You're a selfish b******!

Seriously..... STOP BEING SELFISH!!! Think about other people than yourself for once!!!!
Those who have had flu shots are 36% more likely to get corona

Strong correlation between cellular transmission and increasing cancer rates. You going to put down the mobile phone for the good of the many?

Interesting theory, we all had that in my household during Thanksgiving and did not test positive for the flu. Couldn't go hang with family which was a bummer but we were miserable for 2 whole weeks.
I find it very interesting. People need to start paying more attention to their surroundings, start watching more, listening more and just being more aware. Stop letting your thoughts and actions be influenced by what the mainstream media pumps out. It’s crazy, no one thought anything of it in December but now it’s the zombie apocalypse. Apparently no one washed their hands in December, but now sanitary products can’t be found. Pay attention, form your own educated thoughts and stay clean and healthy, people!!
I’m not trying to be insensitive to this, because this is a very real situation and I feel for those infected and the at risk people. but I do think the media is not helping the situation at all. Whether that be because of sincere or agenda driven motives.
GBO!!

I find it very interesting. People need to start paying more attention to their surroundings, start watching more, listening more and just being more aware. Stop letting your thoughts and actions be influenced by what the mainstream media pumps out. It’s crazy, no one thought anything of it in December but now it’s the zombie apocalypse. Apparently no one washed their hands in December, but now sanitary products can’t be found. Pay attention, form your own educated thoughts and stay clean and healthy, people!!
I’m not trying to be insensitive to this, because this is a very real situation and I feel for those infected and the at risk people. but I do think the media is not helping the situation at all. Whether that be because of sincere or agenda driven motives.
GBO!!
The media is a product selling advertising space. People will keep watching if they think disaster is imminent. They keep chicken littleing us for ratings so they can charge more for their ad space. Eventually, people will be desensitized to it and when something awful does happen people will ignore the warning.

We’ll see how stupid all of this is going to look in three months.
We can only hope and pray that in 3-6 months we can look back and say it was an overreaction until then proper precautions make sense. Not sure I understand the toilet paper assault issue though

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who is seriously smarter and more informed about this than ANYONE in this forum, says the death rate from this is 10 times that of the flu. In an average year 20,000 people in the US die from the flu. So that means that we can expect 200,000+ deaths from this in the US. That's a substantial number assuming the same rate of transmittal. BUT there is typically an effective flu vaccine for each flu season that inhibits the spread of the disease. There is no vaccine for the coronavirus at this time so the question now is what will the rate of transmittal be.

What do you do in the absence of an effective vaccine, you reduce the opportunities for large group transmission.

You need to stop trying to make this a political issue and listen to the science. If you think the science on this is political, you're deserving of a Darwin Award.

According to the media, China is showing leveling off and even reduction in cases. Hopefully the worst is over.

The steps put in place by the US in limiting visitors here is hopefully going to minimize the impact here. If China is in fact past the worst, hopefully the worse will be over within 3-4 weeks here is USA.

Most of the "chicken littles" posting above have overstated the facts, which is expected these days with the mass hysteria media.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who is seriously smarter and more informed about this than ANYONE in this forum, says the death rate from this is 10 times that of the flu. In an average year 20,000 people in the US die from the flu. So that means that we can expect 200,000+ deaths from this in the US. That's a substantial number assuming the same rate of transmittal. BUT there is typically an effective flu vaccine for each flu season that inhibits the spread of the disease. There is no vaccine for the coronavirus at this time so the question now is what will the rate of transmittal be.

What do you do in the absence of an effective vaccine, you reduce the opportunities for large group transmission.

You need to stop trying to make this a political issue and listen to the science. If you think the science on this is political, you're deserving of a Darwin Award.

I think you are misapplying these statistics. We have millions of flu cases each year. We will not have millions of corona cases. Even if the mortality rate is twice that of flu, if you have 50,000 cases of corona, the fatalities are still much lower than the flu cases. Corona cases 50,000 is much less than flu cases of 2,000,000 annually.

Reactions: TCNC53
I wonder how this will affect practice. All in person classes canceled beginning March 23
Will the University of Tennessee be providing full tuition refunds for their students that cannot get access to the service they paid for? Just curious - my kids are well out of college, but it seems like an important question to get answered.

Reactions: I40flyer
This^, And a lot of faculty and staff are in the age group most affected by the illness. Honestly, if you’re not taking this seriously at this point, you’re wrong. Pandemic isn’t a word we use lightly.
Pandemic is a word that should not have been used at this point.

And (unless my math skills are worse than I think) 1% is 70,000 and 0.1% is 7,000.

Assuming 1% of the 0.1% above die, are 70 preventable deaths acceptable to you?
70 deaths against 7,000,000 is not really significant to the 7,000,000. It will matter to the 70 and those that care about the 70. To the 7,000,000 it's an acceptable risk. You take a greater risk getting in your car and driving everyday but have have been conditioned that that is an acceptable risk. The media has you all upset about the new scary virus to the point that it is deemed an unacceptable risk. Just like you (hopefully) mitigate your risk in a car you can mitigate your risk with the virus.

Reactions: orangemadam
I agree. Average age of people who die from the corona virus is around 80 years of age. Remind me again how old the vast majority of college age students are?

I think it has little to do with "age group danger" and more to do with the number of people that can spread the damn bug.

I really hope that’s not directed to me personally

Tl;dr: Absolute hysteria is afoot.

"It's much more contagious than flu!"
Really? We know this how? What data shows this? Here's my data: 3500 humans were stuck on a cruise ship with each other for well over 2 weeks. 700 of them contracted Coronavirus. That's one out of 5 for those in low math. Does that sound very contagious to you? One out of five. In an environment rife with infection, for two weeks.

"But there's no vaccine!"
You know vaccines prevent contraction of the disease, not its severity, right? Vaccine doesn't help once you've caught it. There's data to prove vaccines are often of little use - see a little bit below.

"But you can't say it's not as bad as flu because there's a flu vaccine!"
Last year in the US, an estimated 50 million people got the flu. Many of them had received the vaccine. It was a particularly bad year for vaccine effectiveness. Still, that's about 1 out of 7 US citizens who caught the flu, a virus for which a vaccine exists. Compare that with the 1 out of 5 on the Diamond Princess (no vaccine, close quarters exposure for weeks) and tell me again how Coronavirus is "so much more contagious than the flu."

"But 3.4 (I've even heard 6!!!!11!1) percent of people who catch Coronavirus DIE!!!"
Simple math truth here people, from a math teacher: The quotient becomes smaller as the denominator becomes larger. Didn't follow that? Your slice of pizza becomes much smaller if you have to divide it up among more and more people. Early on, some 20 Americans had died and only a couple of hundred were infected. This produced an ridiculously skewed and overly-high mortality percentage. Now that more people have it.....er, I mean.....now that more people are being tested positive for the virus, the mortality percentage is going down down down, because the denominator is going up up up. Don't even get me started on the number of people who should be added to the bottom but never will because they weren't even sick enough to go see a doctor.

News headline: "People have been walking around Seattle undetected and infected with Coronavirus for SIX WEEKS!!!!!!!"
Um....why should I panic if someone has been "walking around with it for six weeks." I like diseases that I can still walk around with even when I have them. That's called the common cold. Mind you, exactly one person in Seattle had died when this headline was released, and that was the first victim for the very sadly doomed elderly care facility.

"25 Americans are DEAD!"
I am truly saddened at the loss of life, but on a macro scale, one has to consider cost/benefits of actions. 20 of those deaths were at an elderly care facility where they would have also likely died if stricken with a flu outbreak. I grieve with those families. My family is somewhat panicked right now as my father-in-law (72) just had back surgery and developed a-fib and pneumonia. He is the exact high-risk target this virus takes out and he's stuck in a hospital possibly surrounded by people who could be spreading it to him. However, shutting down the world isn't the solution to this problem.

"7 people died on a cruise!!!!!"
7 out of 700 infected. That's 1%. Where's this 3.4 number everyone is quoting. All those 7 were over 70 (if I recall correctly) except one who was in his 50's (I think) and had previous conditions. How about the other 693, or 99%.

Chill out, people.
Thanks for reading.

AV

Maybe but we can only go on what is known a this time. We also know a very small number have been actually tested and the spread may be much larger than the reported numbers. One of the concerns i have is the incubation period is up to 20 days before you show symptoms so you spread it unknowingly.

Here again conflicting information. Not doubting your statement, but I have understood 14 days. (not that 6 or so days make much difference)

Tl;dr: Absolute hysteria is afoot.

"It's much more contagious than flu!"
Really? We know this how? What data shows this? Here's my data: 3500 humans were stuck on a cruise ship with each other for well over 2 weeks. 700 of them contracted Coronavirus. That's one out of 5 for those in low math. Does that sound very contagious to you? One out of five. In an environment rife with infection, for two weeks.

"But there's no vaccine!"
You know vaccines prevent contraction of the disease, not its severity, right? Vaccine doesn't help once you've caught it. There's data to prove vaccines are often of little use - see a little bit below.

"But you can't say it's not as bad as flu because there's a flu vaccine!"
Last year in the US, an estimated 50 million people got the flu. Many of them had received the vaccine. It was a particularly bad year for vaccine effectiveness. Still, that's about 1 out of 7 US citizens who caught the flu, a virus for which a vaccine exists. Compare that with the 1 out of 5 on the Diamond Princess (no vaccine, close quarters exposure for weeks) and tell me again how Coronavirus is "so much more contagious than the flu."

"But 3.4 (I've even heard 6!!!!11!1) percent of people who catch Coronavirus DIE!!!"
Simple math truth here people, from a math teacher: The quotient becomes smaller as the denominator becomes larger. Didn't follow that? Your slice of pizza becomes much smaller if you have to divide it up among more and more people. Early on, some 20 Americans had died and only a couple of hundred were infected. This produced an ridiculously skewed and overly-high mortality percentage. Now that more people have it.....er, I mean.....now that more people are being tested positive for the virus, the mortality percentage is going down down down, because the denominator is going up up up. Don't even get me started on the number of people who should be added to the bottom but never will because they weren't even sick enough to go see a doctor.

News headline: "People have been walking around Seattle undetected and infected with Coronavirus for SIX WEEKS!!!!!!!"
Um....why should I panic if someone has been "walking around with it for six weeks." I like diseases that I can still walk around with even when I have them. That's called the common cold. Mind you, exactly one person in Seattle had died when this headline was released, and that was the first victim for the very sadly doomed elderly care facility.

"25 Americans are DEAD!"
I am truly saddened at the loss of life, but on a macro scale, one has to consider cost/benefits of actions. 20 of those deaths were at an elderly care facility where they would have also likely died if stricken with a flu outbreak. I grieve with those families. My family is somewhat panicked right now as my father-in-law (72) just had back surgery and developed a-fib and pneumonia. He is the exact high-risk target this virus takes out and he's stuck in a hospital possibly surrounded by people who could be spreading it to him. However, shutting down the world isn't the solution to this problem.

"7 people died on a cruise!!!!!"
7 out of 700 infected. That's 1%. Where's this 3.4 number everyone is quoting. All those 7 were over 70 (if I recall correctly) except one who was in his 50's (I think) and had previous conditions. How about the other 693, or 99%.

Chill out, people.
Thanks for reading.

AV

Your numbers are great. Lets forget this little bug.... Wonder why China, where it supposedly sprang from, have been so concerned as to "drop the hammer" on their country and do so much to contain the effects? Makes you wonder if they know more about this problem than they are saying. Like we let this bug get loose from a development lab. Oh, bye the way, how did Italy get so infested so badly so early and far from the center of infection??

VN Store

Back