UT cancels classes

Well if this virus is as bad as many are thinking maybe we should bypass fda somehow to get it on the market.

In this case it needs to be vetted as thoroughly as possible before rushing to application. Fast-tracked? Absolutely!

But still needs to be tested.... I'd be a little leery of bypassing FDA approval. Nothing here is world threatening. If it were "Cap'n Trips" I'd have a different opinion.

What UT is testing is a compound that the ORNL scientists think may work as a treatment, it is already FDA approved - which if it works is huge.

As I understand it, this is not a preemptive vaccine but hopefully a more reliable treatment.

If this spreads like the Spanish Flu of 1918 everyone on this message board will personally know of friends and family who died. If not, then the precautions were a bunch of overblown hype. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's smart to take precautions. I read an article Redirect Notice that said people with hypertension seem to be at much higher risk of the severe adverse effects and more likely to die if they catch coronavirus. The article didnt say if that included people who know they have it and keep their blood pressure normal with medication. But there are a lot of people out there, people who are young and the picture of health, who have undiagnosed hypertension and don't even know it.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Good Lord. SMH.

BOT..... What exactly are you SYH about?

The fact that the cat's mom is 85? That he (or she) is concerned about their mom's welfare? That they expect dozens (or hundreds) of cases? Or that those won't happen in the Bristol/Abingdon area?

I'm confused.....

Glad you can predict the future

I can quite confidently predict that the Coronavirus itself will not end civilization...but I cannot predict what the lasting negative economic impact will be from the paranoid, hysterical and irresponsible overreaction by world leaders in government and business.

And, I will also predict that those on here who will be quick to strongly state, “health before everything,” will be the first to come back and bitterly complain when they lose their job.

I wonder how this will affect practice. All in person classes canceled beginning March 23
Online classes huh? Suddenly, not one single SEC program will have an eligibility/grade casualty this calendar year.😎
GBO!!

Reactions: BDP!
I can quite confidently predict that the Coronavirus itself will not end civilization...but I cannot predict what the lasting negative economic impact will be from the paranoid, hysterical and irresponsible overreaction by world leaders in government and business.

And, I will also predict that those on here who will be quick to strongly state, “health before everything,” will be the first to come back and bitterly complain when they lose their job.
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
GBO!!

If you had stopped after the bolded I'd be on board with you. It's the negatively intentioned inflammatory "paranoid, hysterical (you missed an Oxford comma LOL), and irresponsible overreaction" that is the issue.

Why do you (and others) think it's OK to allow a disease to run unchecked when it could be attenuated? Is it simply the monetary aspect?

Nothing negative intended, simply curiosity.....

We’ll see how stupid all of this is going to look in three months.
That’s the issue with us sheep. In 3 months we will have forgotten about this and the media will be pumping us full of the new flavor of the month distraction.
GBO!!

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Thanks for the magic crystal ball info! How do you know "no one has immunity built up"??? The vast majority of young healthy people that have come into contact with the virus a. don't get sick (that they notice) b. get a "mild cold". Death rate 10 times that of the flu??? Let's be realistic, 100's of millions of people have had the flu, and they know it. How many people would test positive for the Wuhan virus and never knew they had it? You don't know. President Trump has seen to it that millions of test kits have been mfg and distributed, along with other modern countries, we will find out what the real death rate is, sometime in the next 6 months to a year. I'm predicting, it will be very similar to the FLU.
This thing has been in the US since late November-early December. It was the mysterious “flu” that wasn’t testing positive for the flu.
GBO!!

Reactions: CR-vol
Because those kids have parents and grandparents they don't want to die? Maybe that's it?

Jesus. The "This is just media panic" mindset of y'all is absurd. I guess the Italian government is over blowing it too. China welding people inside houses is just an over reaction.

The fact of the matter is it is an exponential growth and there is no vaccine. Slowing the spread of the virus until such time that changes is the responsible thing to do.
Vaccines aren’t always the answer.
GBO!!

This thing has been in the US since late November-early December. It was the mysterious “flu” that wasn’t testing positive for the flu.
GBO!!

Interesting theory, we all had that in my household during Thanksgiving and did not test positive for the flu. Couldn't go hang with family which was a bummer but we were miserable for 2 whole weeks.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
If you had stopped after the bolded I'd be on board with you. It's the negatively intentioned inflammatory "paranoid, hysterical (you missed an Oxford comma LOL), and irresponsible overreaction" that is the issue.

Why do you (and others) think it's OK to allow a disease to run unchecked when it could be attenuated? Is it simply the monetary aspect?

Nothing negative intended, simply curiosity.....

I bet you are a big government guy.

A week ago I thought it was overblown but not today. Please explain your professional experience in taking a strong position as you have that this whole situation is overblown. The r-knot factor is double the flu and the death rate is higher. I hope we contain it and believe the only way to stop it is to go overboard on restrictions for public gatherings and travel. Better to be safe than sorry. This event is serious enough to disrupt the world’s economy. Look at what Italy is doing. Do you think their leaders are overacting ?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
BOT..... What exactly are you SYH about?

The fact that the cat's mom is 85? That he (or she) is concerned about their mom's welfare? That they expect dozens (or hundreds) of cases? Or that those won't happen in the Bristol/Abingdon area?

I'm confused.....
I did not see the post. Maybe it was deleted. Who replied SYH to my previous post?

A week ago I thought it was overblown but not today. Please explain your professional experience in taking a strong position as you have that this whole situation is overblown. The r-knot factor is double the flu and the death rate is higher. I hope we contain it and believe the only way to stop it is to go overboard on restrictions for public gatherings and travel. Better to be safe than sorry. This event is serious enough to disrupt the world’s economy. Look at what Italy is doing. Do you think their leaders are overacting ?
Forget asking about more opinions of other people’s opinions. The fact is that the mortality rate is about 1% per Dr. Fauci. While this is a different version of coronavirus, the medical experts have been dealing with coronavirus for years. This is nothing new and they know how to handle it. Now that 1%, or 10 times more deadly than the seasonal flu, as Dr. Fauci also put, will make some people react one way and others react differently. I personally think canceling all this stuff is an overreaction and I get taking some precautions but overreacting too much can cause just as much harm. What if the panic keeps getting worse and leads to riots? We’ve already seen people literally fighting over toilet paper for goodness sakes and the media seems to only be fanning the flames with no regard for the potential danger of doing so.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Yup.... For now.

How many cases will it take before you consider it to be a problem in TN?
We have had 4 people die of the flu in our county here in west Tennessee in the last 5 days. No breaking news on CNN, we are treading water because of the rapid spread of fear!

Reactions: hUTch2002
World population currently is 7.7 billion. Epidemiologists anticipate infection rate of 70%, those that will get it. Current death rate is 3.4%. Do the math, 180,000,000 dead world wide before this is over. Assuming numbers off by a factor of four only about 45 million die. I'm over 60 with underlying cardiovascular disease, my parents are mid 80's. So yea, anyway to help keep me and my loved ones alive or not sick I'm on board.

VN Store

Back