USC and UCLA to leave Pac 12 for Big Ten

Like...at some point, it just doesn't make sense logistically. USC and UCLA do not belong in the same conference as Ohio State and Michigan. Those schools have absolutely nothing in common other than big brands who play the same sports.

Like, when the Southeastern Conference has considered expansion, at least they pick schools that are generally in the south east. This goes so far outside of the Big 10 footprint, that it just almost seems cannibalistic and counterproductive.

But whatever. I don't care how many teams they add, the SEC will always be better.

Reactions: feathersax
Like...at some point, it just doesn't make sense logistically. USC and UCLA do not belong in the same conference as Ohio State and Michigan. Those schools have absolutely nothing in common other than big brands who play the same sports.

Like, when the Southeastern Conference has considered expansion, at least they pick schools that are generally in the south east. This goes so far outside of the Big 10 footprint, that it just almost seems cannibalistic and counterproductive.

But whatever. I don't care how many teams they add, the SEC will always be better.
Stop. Adding anything in Texas or Oklahoma isn't adding anything close to the south east

I laugh at all the boobs on sport-talk radio who go along with all this and assume because realignment is happening--spinning out of control, really--it must be a good thing, but they don't talk much about the greed underlying the process. And here's the thing: Realignment could conceivably go on and on and on.

Think about this: What's to stop, say, the 5 most prominent programs in the SEC and the 5 most prominent programs in the Big 10, and maybe you throw in another few prominent programs from around the country--Notre Dame, Oregon, others--and they form the CSC: College Super Conference? So you've essentially got the 12/15 most prominent programs in one conference, playing each other. Think of the TV deal a Super Conference could get? Massive.

The problem is that they'd all have to find a way to extricate themselves from their current conferences and their TV deals--and admittedly, that would not be easy. It would also kind of ruin the playoff system, I suppose--if you've got all the power programs playing each other during the regular season, there'd be no one for the Super Conference champion to play in the playoffs--it would have already played them, in theory. However, the TV money--if it could be arranged, would be massive for those schools.

It may sound far-fetched--and yet it's a logical extension of what we've been seeing. Oklahoma and Texas decided they were bigger and had more earnings potential than their Big12 brethren and so left for a conference promising more money. There were haves and have-nots in the Big12. The new SEC with texas, oklahoma and maybe others, is going to have "haves" and "have-nots." Vandy, Miss. State, Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina--all could be considered have-nots, because they're not going to be the power programs AND their games, when televised, will not have the ratings that the power programs have. So just as Oklahoma and Texas decided that they were too big for the Big12 and left. The same thing could happen in the new SEC: Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU could say: "Hey, Kentucky and Vandy are a drag on our earnings; why we all get with Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame and form a Super Conference?

Couldn't happen? Might be difficult to pull off--but it is a logical extension of exactly what we're seeing. And where would Tennessee and all the other mid-tier programs end up?

3ad.jpg

The thing about A&M and Texas is they would have been SEC members for the past 30 years if the the Texas legislature hadn't stopped them joining in 1992.

Expansion isn't new and college sports have survived so far.

Boy, those schools are really gonna enjoy going across country and time zones for those games every week that will be played at practically midnight Eastern time.

I traveled for business for about 30 years and dealing with time zones within the continental US is a piece of cake. You don't get "jet lag", it's just not that far and it doesn't take that much time. It takes about 4 hours to fly from LA to Chicago via private jet. You get in and out without any need to adjust to the time zones.

Football should be pretty easy, you probably play 4-5 way games and it's basically the same time for turn around on the trip that you'd have for a long PAC12 trip. As for basketball, assuming you're traveling to play two game on one trip those can wear on you a bit more. Your body has more time to start thinking about adjusting, sleep is a little more out of whack.

That's just my opinion.

But whatever. I don't care how many teams they add, the SEC will always be better.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but having OSU, Penn. State, Michigan, USC, and now maybe ND (NBC is now in process of negotiating TV contract, along with CBS who already has) and it's pretty darn good, along with middlin teams Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan State, who are probably on a par with the SEC middlin schools.

TV Revenue is what it is all about today anyway and the BIG10 is head and heels above anyone else because of coast-to-coast expansion and Ohio States influence- largest fanbase and alumni- and it's not even close. Fox is practically the "OSU network" with it's "Big noon kickoff" and now CBS is reportedly going to shell out nearly 350M $ for 2nd tier BIG games. NBC is reportedly trying to get a BIG contract and I wonder how this affects ND as they have a contract with them. ESPN and the BIG10 have split.

Maybe, but having OSU, Penn. State, Michigan, USC, and now maybe ND (NBC is now in process of negotiating TV contract, along with CBS who already has) and it's pretty darn good, along with middlin teams Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan State, who are probably on a par with the SEC middlin schools.

TV Revenue is what it is all about today anyway and the BIG10 is head and heels above anyone else because of coast-to-coast expansion and Ohio States influence- largest fanbase and alumni- and it's not even close. Fox is practically the "OSU network" with it's "Big noon kickoff" and now CBS is reportedly going to shell out nearly 350M $ for 2nd tier BIG games. NBC is reportedly trying to get a BIG contract and I wonder how this affects ND as they have a contract with them. ESPN and the BIG10 have split.[/QUOTE]

just an update....... CBS and NBC will each shell out 350M dollars for the rights to 2nd and 3rd tier BIG games while FOX will pay 850M dollars for the noon game. ESPN's 380M dollar deal for 7 years was rejected by the BIG10.

TV Revenue is what it is all about today anyway and the BIG10 is head and heels above anyone else because of coast-to-coast expansion and Ohio States influence- largest fanbase and alumni- and it's not even close. Fox is practically the "OSU network" with it's "Big noon kickoff" and now CBS is reportedly going to shell out nearly 350M $ for 2nd tier BIG games. NBC is reportedly trying to get a BIG contract and I wonder how this affects ND as they have a contract with them. ESPN and the BIG10 have split.

just an update....... CBS and NBC will each shell out 350M dollars for the rights to 2nd and 3rd tier BIG games while FOX will pay 850M dollars for the noon game. ESPN's 380M dollar deal for 7 years was rejected by the BIG10.[/QUOTE]
The big question is if this will allow Notre Dame to remain Independent. Sankey is going to have counter and try to keep Notre Dame out of the B1G. He say we will agree to have a certain # of games on ESPN and NBC versus Notre Dame in exchange for giving them access to the new CFP format, whatever that may be. Notre Dame can remain Independent if they play 3 ACC, 3 B1G teams, 3 SEC, 2 PAC10 teams, Navy, and then any other teams they want to schedule . This might be the most effective way to keep Notre Dame Independent and away from the B1G.

Have to hand it to Kevin Warren, he’s managing this TV very well. They have everything covered from morning until 11pm or later now with the West Coast additions . Look out for Stanford joining the B1G too. That could be the final straw that brings in Notre Dame. Once that happens, Sankey will bring in UNC and some other school.

just an update....... CBS and NBC will each shell out 350M dollars for the rights to 2nd and 3rd tier BIG games while FOX will pay 850M dollars for the noon game. ESPN's 380M dollar deal for 7 years was rejected by the BIG10.
The big question is if this will allow Notre Dame to remain Independent. Sankey is going to have counter and try to keep Notre Dame out of the B1G. He say we will agree to have a certain # of games on ESPN and NBC versus Notre Dame in exchange for giving them access to the new CFP format, whatever that may be. Notre Dame can remain Independent if they play 3 ACC, 3 B1G teams, 3 SEC, 2 PAC10 teams, Navy, and then any other teams they want to schedule . This might be the most effective way to keep Notre Dame Independent and away from the B1G.

Have to hand it to Kevin Warren, he’s managing this TV very well. They have everything covered from morning until 11pm or later now with the West Coast additions . Look out for Stanford joining the B1G too. That could be the final straw that brings in Notre Dame. Once that happens, Sankey will bring in UNC and some other school.[/QUOTE]

There have been strong rumblings of Oregon and Washington, along with Cal being considered by the BIG for expansion.

Have to hand it to Kevin Warren, he’s managing this TV very well. They have everything covered from morning until 11pm or later now with the West Coast additions . Look out for Stanford joining the B1G too. That could be the final straw that brings in Notre Dame. Once that happens, Sankey will bring in UNC and some other school.

There have been strong rumblings of Oregon and Washington, along with Cal being considered by the BIG for expansion.[/QUOTE]

I think those rumblings have calmed down a bit, haven't heard much about interest in Oregon or Washington lately. As for Cal, that's new to me, I thought they were interested in Stanford from the Bay area. As for Oregon, the university president recently announced that he's leaving to go to Northwestern. So that would delay any decision on Oregon's part a bit should the topic come up.

I do think two issues exist for the LA schools, one is travel during basketball season. In which case I think they would be in favor of Oregon and Washington being in the Big 10. The other is I think they would rather Oregon and Washington have less recruiting exposure in LA.

[/QUOTE]
There have been strong rumblings of Oregon and Washington, along with Cal being considered by the BIG for expansion.[/QUOTE]

There have been strong rumblings of Oregon and Washington, along with Cal being considered by the BIG for expansion.

I think those rumblings have calmed down a bit, haven't heard much about interest in Oregon or Washington lately. As for Cal, that's new to me, I thought they were interested in Stanford from the Bay area. As for Oregon, the university president recently announced that he's leaving to go to Northwestern. So that would delay any decision on Oregon's part a bit should the topic come up.

I do think two issues exist for the LA schools, one is travel during basketball season. In which case I think they would be in favor of Oregon and Washington being in the Big 10. The other is I think they would rather Oregon and Washington have less recruiting exposure in LA.[/QUOTE]

The Cal thing is the association w/ Stanford. I don’t understand why Notre Dame and Stanford have a relationship that needs to be preserved, but it seems like a lot of people think that adding Stanford to the B1G would be the final straw to entice Notre Dame. As far as Washington and Oregon, they are big brands and have had the most recent success of anyone in the PAC12, I think they have to end up somewhere with a good access to TV and the CFP. I hope they will at least.

Reactions: GoDucks349
There was an article from 247 on 8/10 about a quote from Sankey during an interview with Dan Patrick. He mentioned how schools had contacted him “as recently as last week” expressing interest in joining the SEC. Curious who some of those schools are.

Sankey did say the calls were received under the pretext of discussing other issues with a “hey, keep us in mind” should expansion occur again soon.

Quite interesting.

I miss the days of 5 Power conferences that were actually all strong.

BUT, if realignment can continue to cut back on the meaningless games against teams like Ball State, Akron, and UTM, I’ll be glad to see it.

I’ll take 2 24-team power conferences, 10-game conference schedules, and an 8-team playoff, please. Better than the days where 1 loss killed your whole chance at a National Title and 1/4 of the season are games against teams you’d rather not even watch.

I do think two issues exist for the LA schools, one is travel during basketball season. In which case I think they would be in favor of Oregon and Washington being in the Big 10. The other is I think they would rather Oregon and Washington have less recruiting exposure in LA.[/QUOTE]

The Cal thing is the association w/ Stanford. I don’t understand why Notre Dame and Stanford have a relationship that needs to be preserved, but it seems like a lot of people think that adding Stanford to the B1G would be the final straw to entice Notre Dame. As far as Washington and Oregon, they are big brands and have had the most recent success of anyone in the PAC12, I think they have to end up somewhere with a good access to TV and the CFP. I hope they will at least.[/QUOTE]

Stanford and ND has been a rivalry for many years, similar to USC, Army, Navy vs ND. Cal not so much. ND vs Stanford started back in 1925.

Some folks are against the FCS games. I get that. But, the FCS schools need it. For alot of them, that's a good percent of their operating budget for that season or the next. Heck, these coaches have a larger annual salary than TnTechs entire Athletic budget. The FCS & lower tier FBS schools need those games to meet finances.

Some folks are against the FCS games. I get that. But, the FCS schools need it. For alot of them, that's a good percent of their operating budget for that season or the next. Heck, these coaches have a larger annual salary than TnTechs entire Athletic budget. The FCS & lower tier FBS schools need those games to meet finances.
I think it would be interesting to potentially see some of those games moved to the Spring .

Reactions: LouderVol
But that's not the job of the P5. Just like it will be interesting to see women try to pull Title IX on the football players making NIL money.

I think college sports will have to separate between revenue and non revenue sports.

The number of low-level games like Ball State, Akron, and UTM for us have to be a drain on revenue for P5 teams. Fans don’t get excited for them and the TV numbers can’t be great, either. Is it really beneficial when 1/4 of your season are basically unwatchable, uninteresting games?

The 2020 season sucked for us, but it was a lot of fun to watch a 10-game conference schedule and have all games be interesting.

My dream is a 24-team SEC & B1G, a 10-game conference schedule, 1 good OOC, and 1 “cupcake” to help the smaller programs. 8-team playoff.

But that's not the job of the P5. Just like it will be interesting to see women try to pull Title IX on the football players making NIL money.

I think college sports will have to separate between revenue and non revenue sports.

True, but the smaller schools do want atleast one of those games on their schedule, and there's nothing wrong with a P5 school obliging. A P5 school cannot physically survive a 12-14 game schedule of nothing but P-5 opponents. They need a couple breather games. Besides, some of these FCS opponents are better than some of the FBS opponents. If you're gonna say UT shouldn't play TnTech, then they should also not play Ball State.

Reactions: tbwhhs

VN Store

Back