USC and UCLA to leave Pac 12 for Big Ten

The Carolina Panthers and Arizona Cardinals play next month.

It's headed in that direction. It'll just take a few years to completely sort itself out. It's going to be NFL Lite whether we like it or not.

I at least like the fact that Sankey has tried and will continue to try to keep all of the SEC teams sharing a border.

Reactions: oz615
I at least like the fact that Sankey has tried and will continue to try to keep all of the SEC teams sharing a border.
I'm a fan of the old conference style and heavy regional rivalries and meaningful old school bowls but that's increasingly not the reality of the financial pressure on "college" football.

We can't force massive TV contracts, NIL, etc to go away and that money moves the game, the conferences, the playoffs, all of it toward a pro model. I can only hope it comes slower rather than faster.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
I'm a fan of the old conference style and heavy regional rivalries and meaningful old school bowls but that's increasingly not the reality of the financial pressure on "college" football.

We can't force massive TV contracts, NIL, etc to go away and that money moves the game, the conferences, the playoffs, all of it toward a pro model. I can only hope it comes slower rather than faster.
The more it is fought the more sudden the changes will be. If its managed it could be a steady transition, but we have already seen the NCAA has no interest in leading from the front.

The B12 Championship Game was at what..... Noon Eastern? The P12 Championship was a 9PM Eastern game.

You were crowing about "big numbers" for a late night game and the slot being "valuable."

The numbers aren't big and the late night slot isn't valuable.

The Pac 12 Championship game was also on Friday (close on the time: 8 ET).

I could see San Diego State and BYU. Boise St just doesn't have the depth they need in the athletic or academic areas.

Isn’t BYU joining the Big 12 next year? (I can see what you’re saying regarding Boise State’s issues though. And you’re correct on that matter.)

Reactions: Jeff Clark
This photo is the from one of the future Big10 members game from this past weekend. Yeah, it's South Alabama but is this what the Big 10 standards are? Vandy draws better than this

Fc49nZFWAAAY-6K

Reactions: Rickyvol77
This photo is the from one of the future Big10 members game from this past weekend. Yeah, it's South Alabama but is this what the Big 10 standards are? Vandy draws better than this

Fc49nZFWAAAY-6K
[/QUOTE
UCLA has tended to have bad attendance for some time and with such a large stadium for home games it looks horrible when you put 27000 in a 90000 seat stadium. When the topic of them joining the Big 10 came up and the subject of attendance came up lots of people said it's about "eyes" on the TV (TV market) not attendance. Well this is what you get at UCLA when it's not a HUGE game. UCLA has lots of issues in this area... stadium location, fans that would rather go to the beach, driving to the stadium.

What they need is a smaller stadium of about 60-70000 on campus. The Rose Bowl is about 30 min drive from UCLA campus it's a problem

Oregon is the only place on the West Coast where attending a football game is even close to the SEC.
There are way too many other distractions in places like LA. College football does not play well and never has played well in a big city environment, especially in cities where there are lots of transients. Look at some of the major metros in the United States - there either isn't a major team located there or close by (NYC, Chicago) and in the metros where there is a major college team, fan support can generously be described as tepid, particularly when the team isn't great (LA, Miami).

Eugene is a small-to-mid sized city dominated by the presence of the University of Oregon - it is tailor-made to be a great gameday environment.

There are way too many other distractions in places like LA. College football does not play well and never has played well in a big city environment, especially in cities where there are lots of transients. Look at some of the major metros in the United States - there either isn't a major team located there or close by (NYC, Chicago) and in the metros where there is a major college team, fan support can generously be described as tepid, particularly when the team isn't great (LA, Miami).

Eugene is a small-to-mid sized city dominated by the presence of the University of Oregon - it is tailor-made to be a great gameday environment.

Totally agree. Also, competition for football fans from NFL franchises in major cities can be a factor as well.

LA has 2 NFL teams, 2 NBA teams, NHL and the best team in the Majors and a much better and more popular CFB program also in town. UCLA is in a tough spot.
Yeah USC is returning to being a powerhouse and i think they will be in the Playoffs this year

Yeah USC is returning to being a powerhouse and i think they will be in the Playoffs this year

I might be wrong, but if I was betting on the USC vs OSU game this weekend, I'd take the beavs and the points. Haven't seen beav fans this excited since they got indoor plumbing. Just might end all the playoff talk about the condoms this weekend.

That incredibly valuable 10PM Eastern Time slot???

A game that WAS good but a fluke. There just aren't enough eyeballs that watch football routinely out there and I'm sure ESPN knows the Baylor/BYU numbers are not at all the norm for that timeslot.

It's not too hard to discern that Yormark was at least referring to Arizona in his remarks. The Big 12's potential in basketball -- which is "deeper" than the Pac-12, according to a media rights expert -- might tip the deal. Think of Big 12 basketball in expansion that could boast Arizona, Baylor, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas and West Virginia.

The tug-of-war also continues over the so-called "fourth window" that ESPN desires for late-night Saturday programming. Will the Pac-12 be able to keep all its teams and that valuable fourth window, or will it have to share it with the Big 12? 🤷

I might be wrong, but if I was betting on the USC vs OSU game this weekend, I'd take the beavs and the points. Haven't seen beav fans this excited since they got indoor plumbing. Just might end all the playoff talk about the condoms this weekend.
6 points doesn't seem like much - looks like bettors are already thinking the same way you are. I hadn't seen the line until just now and was assuming it'd be double digits.

VN Store

Back