USC and UCLA to leave Pac 12 for Big Ten

The number of low-level games like Ball State, Akron, and UTM for us have to be a drain on revenue for P5 teams. Fans don’t get excited for them and the TV numbers can’t be great, either. Is it really beneficial when 1/4 of your season are basically unwatchable, uninteresting games?

The 2020 season sucked for us, but it was a lot of fun to watch a 10-game conference schedule and have all games be interesting.

My dream is a 24-team SEC & B1G, a 10-game conference schedule, 1 good OOC, and 1 “cupcake” to help the smaller programs. 8-team playoff.

When you say “the smaller programs,” do you mean schools like ETSU and UTC or the schools left in the remains of the Big 12/Pac-12?

True, but the smaller schools do want atleast one of those games on their schedule, and there's nothing wrong with a P5 school obliging. A P5 school cannot physically survive a 12-14 game schedule of nothing but P-5 opponents. They need a couple breather games. Besides, some of these FCS opponents are better than some of the FBS opponents. If you're gonna say UT shouldn't play TnTech, then they should also not play Ball State.
I dont see why they wouldnt survive. I would love to see an actual break down on injuries of OOC games vs in conference games. We dont see P5 teams with P5 OOC rivals suffer more injuries than teams that dont have a P5 OOC rival.

The only reasons schools dont do it now is because of the risk to the playoffs or making a bowl. Not player safety. Plenty of ways to reduce player risk if that is the concern. Bump up scholarship numbers. Guarentee more open dates, introduce play counts for players similar to pitch counts in baseball.

I dont see why they wouldnt survive. I would love to see an actual break down on injuries of OOC games vs in conference games. We dont see P5 teams with P5 OOC rivals suffer more injuries than teams that dont have a P5 OOC rival.

The only reasons schools dont do it now is because of the risk to the playoffs or making a bowl. Not player safety. Plenty of ways to reduce player risk if that is the concern. Bump up scholarship numbers. Guarentee more open dates, introduce play counts for players similar to pitch counts in baseball.

Playing down early allows a P5 team an easier game to get broke in before the real slobber knocking starts, and later in season to give the A-team some rest in a light game. Injuries gonna happen regardless. They happen when you least expect them, and don't happen when you think they would.

BIG XII is undermining the PAC again lol. Oregon will soon be getting an unequal share if PAC TV money.

True, but the smaller schools do want atleast one of those games on their schedule, and there's nothing wrong with a P5 school obliging. A P5 school cannot physically survive a 12-14 game schedule of nothing but P-5 opponents. They need a couple breather games. Besides, some of these FCS opponents are better than some of the FBS opponents. If you're gonna say UT shouldn't play TnTech, then they should also not play Ball State.
Yep. I've always thought that the COVID year must have been brutal on teams. That was 10 conference games (2 more than normal for SEC schools) with no creampuffs, and with a disjointed/off schedule fall camp.

Yep. I've always thought that the COVID year must have been brutal on teams. That was 10 conference games (2 more than normal for SEC schools) with no creampuffs, and with a disjointed/off schedule fall camp.

I felt sorry for the players. All they could do was just practice and practice and practice for what 1.5 years with no real weekend incentive for their hard work?

BIG XII is undermining the PAC again lol. Oregon will soon be getting an unequal share if PAC TV money.

Yea I saw that comment this morning, not sure anything will come of it. Not sure I understand your comment about the Big XII undermining the PAC. How so?

I could tell you an interesting story about the BIG XII and what went on when the SEC went after A&M.

Yea I saw that comment this morning, not sure anything will come of it. Not sure I understand your comment about the Big XII undermining the PAC. How so?

I could tell you an interesting story about the BIG XII and what went on when the SEC went after A&M.
It's a crazy comment made by the PAC Commissioner on the opening day of PAC 12 Media Days even after the BIG had destabilized the PAC by taking USC and UCLA and suggested they weren't finished with expansion. This PAC Commissioner might be even worse than the last one...if that's even possible.

It's a crazy comment made by the PAC Commissioner on the opening day of PAC 12 Media Days even after the BIG had destabilized the PAC by taking USC and UCLA and suggested they weren't finished with expansion. This PAC Commissioner might be even worse than the last one...if that's even possible.

Yea that's sort of old news. I understand that early on after USC and UCLA announced intentions to join the Big 10 that the Big 12 did contact several PAC schools about jumping ship for the Big 12.

Reactions: BUBear
Yea that's sort of old news. I understand that early on after USC and UCLA announced intentions to join the Big 10 that the Big 12 did contact several PAC schools about jumping ship for the Big 12.
I wouldn't be surprised if the BIG XII did reach out to PAC members after USC and UCLA made the jump. That's just smart business but the PAC schools weren't/aren't going anywhere until the BIG tells them no first. Chicken and egg thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BIG XII did reach out to PAC members after USC and UCLA made the jump. That's just smart business but the PAC schools weren't/aren't going anywhere until the BIG tells them no first.

I don't think PAC schools will go anywhere except to the BIG or SEC. More likely they will add schools like SD state or BYU or look to poach a big 12 school or two. I've heard SMU and Houston mentioned as potential adds.

I wonder if Washington will jump, or if they will be left trying to carry the PAC (whatever) after the other three depart?

Dangerous times for UDubb. Gotta make the right move here.

I don't think PAC schools will go anywhere except to the BIG or SEC. More likely they will add schools like SD state or BYU or look to poach a big 12 school or two. I've heard SMU and Houston mentioned as potential adds.
The PAC can pretty much rule Houston out of the picture. Tilman Fertitta has Houston exactly where he has wanted them for years. Fertitta is a basketball man first (Owner of the Rockets) and also the university's largest donor to academics and athletics. UofH won't piss him off. BYU will most likely avoid the PAC due to religious intolerance.

I wonder if Washington will jump, or if they will be left trying to carry the PAC (whatever) after the other three depart?

My preference if the BIG 10 wanted Oregon is that they take UDubb as well. It would be a natural rivalry that already exists and it would help the BIG 10 in that basketball road trips to the west coast could be for a pair of games. Plus it would lock up the Pacific NW major tv markets. Yes, I know it's really weird for a Duck to want the taildraggers to join them, but times are changing.

Also, who knows maybe UCLA won't be allowed to make the move to the BIG 10. In that event does the BIG look at Oregon, Stanford and or UW?

The PAC can pretty much rule Houston out of the picture. Tilman Fertitta has Houston exactly where he has wanted them for years. Fertitta is a basketball man first (Owner of the Rockets) and also the university's largest donor to academics and athletics. UofH won't piss him off. BYU will most likely avoid the PAC due to religious intolerance.

Not sure I understand the "religious intolerance" comment. In the past discussions about BYU and the PAC coming together the only religion related issue was that BYU wouldn't play games on Sunday. I personally think that could be resolved. The big issue with Sunday games is during basketball season.

I think the PAC 10? 12? or whatever is dead. I think the Big 12 can survive and the ACC might for another year or 2 until someone puts together the legal team that finds the hole in the GOR. I’m hoping for 3 Conferences instead of just the SEC and B1G.

I think the PAC 10? 12? or whatever is dead. I think the Big 12 can survive and the ACC might for another year or 2 until someone puts together the legal team that finds the hole in the GOR. I’m hoping for 3 Conferences instead of just the SEC and B1G.
I think the way the ACC is going to collapse is going to be mass withdrawal. Get enough of the big schools to leave so that it dissolves the ACC. Otherwise I think there GOR is pretty strong and will last a challenge or two.

SEC should strike first. Add Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Utah, and one of Arizona/St.

Then add UNC, UVA, and Clemson in 10 years when the ACC unravels.

Cut B1G expansion off at the knees and establish the SEC as THE conference of the nation.

SEC should strike first. Add Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Utah, and one of Arizona/St.

Then add UNC, UVA, and Clemson in 10 years when the ACC unravels.

Cut B1G expansion off at the knees and establish the SEC as THE conference of the nation.
I think Sankey has either said or implied that if the SEC expands more, that he wants the SEC to expand to other border states. Like North Carolina, Virginia, etc..

“I think Sankey has either said or implied that if the SEC expands more, that he wants the SEC to expand to other border states. Like North Carolina, Virginia, etc..”
@RDU VOL#14

Sorry, my quotes aren’t working, so I have to tag you.

I just don’t think those teams will be available until the ACC GOR is closer to expiring, which won’t be until 2035, I believe. Around then, I fully expect some combo of UNC/NC State and UVA/VT to be added.

The PAC will cease to be long before then with how things are trending, thus those teams will be more likely to move in the near future. I don’t think ESPN wants to lose all the best Western programs to their competitor and valuable TV time slots. The SEC, by taking the best remaining PAC programs, also undercuts the B1G by isolating USC & UCLA on a West Coast island permanently.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, though.

“I think Sankey has either said or implied that if the SEC expands more, that he wants the SEC to expand to other border states. Like North Carolina, Virginia, etc..”
@RDU VOL#14

Sorry, my quotes aren’t working, so I have to tag you.

I just don’t think those teams will be available until the ACC GOR is closer to expiring, which won’t be until 2035, I believe. Around then, I fully expect some combo of UNC/NC State and UVA/VT to be added.

The PAC will cease to be long before then with how things are trending, thus those teams will be more likely to move in the near future. I don’t think ESPN wants to lose all the best Western programs to their competitor and valuable TV time slots. The SEC, by taking the best remaining PAC programs, also undercuts the B1G by isolating USC & UCLA on a West Coast island permanently.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, though.
I know what you are saying, but by the time 2035 comes around the ACC will be so far behind the other conferences from a $ standpoint I doubt it makes it that far. Basically, if the ACC has 8 teams that revolt and say we don’t want to be in the conference anymore there won’t be a conference left to pay the exit fee or whatever annual tv money the ACC is entitled to from the teams that leave.

I know what you are saying, but by the time 2035 comes around the ACC will be so far behind the other conferences from a $ standpoint I doubt it makes it that far. Basically, if the ACC has 8 teams that revolt and say we don’t want to be in the conference anymore there won’t be a conference left to pay the exit fee or whatever annual tv money the ACC is entitled to from the teams that leave.
With the BIG 10, BIG XII and the SEC looking to expand it shouldn't be too hard to find 8 teams willing to jump.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back