(Updated 8/2/2022) 2022 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

It feels at least a little surprising that at least one of our guys hasn’t said no to signing and returned to school. I’m fairly confident a few of them could increase their slot value with one more year at Tennessee.

I guess at some point you’re just ready to start your pro journey and a $100k-$200k difference for some of these later round picks might not be enough of a difference for them to delay their pro journey by a year.

It feels at least a little surprising that at least one of our guys hasn’t said no to signing and returned to school. I’m fairly confident a few of them could increase their slot value with one more year at Tennessee.

I guess at some point you’re just ready to start your pro journey and a $100k-$200k difference for some of these later round picks might not be enough of a difference for them to delay their pro journey by a year.
Important to remember too, guys returning with only 1 year of eligibility left will lose almost all leverage. Seniors outside of top guys, usually sign for well under slot.

He’s a really good kid. My littles go to the same school so I’ve watched him play a bit. A true 5 tool player. My only hang up, from a limited number of games watching him play, is that he never came thru in the clutch. Jeff Blauser’s son is also on the team and will play for Clemson this year, he was really clutch on the way to the championship. Interesting observation, Druw’s dad always watched games from the outfield away from everyone else. Lots of people thought he was just a snob but I think he was really trying to take the spotlight off himself and make it all about his son. Kid can throw, run, lay down a bunt, hit a homer, and cover center field….

He can also watch his son play CF much closer up and give him some tips, if needed. Maybe he is more concerned with his son's fielding than hitting.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Seems like the players who were taken in the later rounds were selected higher than most expected, which may play into decisions to move on

He can also watch his son play CF much closer up and give him some tips, if needed. Maybe he is more concerned with his son's fielding than hitting.
I used to wonder why some dads would sit as far away from the games as possible. As a parent now who has been to a lot of sporting events, I totally get it. Parents yelling at refs, coaches, and players, and most of the time they literally have no idea what they're talking about. In Jones' case, he'd also have to deal with people bugging him nonstop which could distract from the kids. So, yeah, it could be about giving his son fielding tips. But my hunch is he doesn't want to have to deal with the other parents.

Looks like Ortega is the only unsigned Vol.

Not counting Crawford since he never made it to campus.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back