Update on Henry T

No kidding. Wish our fans would take the Heupel approach and just focus on the kids that are there, that want to be there, and are doing things the right way to get ready for the season.
So, are you saying coaches shouldn’t focus on recruits, since those kids “aren’t there” yet? Geez. HT would be a solid piece in rebuilding this thing and he’s worth spending some time on.

Reactions: Remy
So, are you saying coaches shouldn’t focus on recruits, since those kids “aren’t there” yet? Geez. HT would be a solid piece in rebuilding this thing and he’s worth spending some time on.
Come on. You know that statement was in the context of transfers. If a kid has one foot out the door, I see no reason to re-recruit him. Enough is enough. Kids in high school are different IMO. Apples to oranges in my mind.

Come on. You know that statement was in the context of transfers. If a kid has one foot out the door, I see no reason to re-recruit him. Enough is enough. Kids in high school are different IMO. Apples to oranges in my mind.
I’m for pulling the band aid off quick. But, no it isn’t all that different. If the NCAA allowed schools to replace those schollies, that would be one thing. A coach has to maximize their roster.

I’m for pulling the band aid off quick. But, no it isn’t all that different. If the NCAA allowed schools to replace those schollies, that would be one thing. A coach has to maximize their roster.
Heupel seems to have my mindset in that I'll recruit a kid once but if he's looking to leave, I'm not begging him to stay. I want kids who want to be here. If Henry and Crouch are sniffing greener pastures, I don't consider them part of the team. Far too much to do to spend time on guys who already have one foot out the door.

And let's be real here. Neither of those guys were world beaters last year. You build a foundation with players and coaches committed to the program. Neither of those two appear to fit that description. Don't waste time on guys who aren't here and working toward next season. And no I'm not saying stop recruiting.

Heupel seems to have my mindset in that I'll recruit a kid once but if he's looking to leave, I'm not begging him to stay. I want kids who want to be here. If Henry and Crouch are sniffing greener pastures, I don't consider them part of the team. Far too much to do to spend time on guys who already have one foot out the door.

And let's be real here. Neither of those guys were world beaters last year. You build a foundation with players and coaches committed to the program. Neither of those two appear to fit that description. Don't waste time on guys who aren't here and working toward next season. And no I'm not saying stop recruiting.
Based on that logic he shouldn’t take transfers either.

If HT transfers will he have to sit a year? He is not a grad transfer and as such would need a waiver to play immediately from the NCAA and SEC office right?

If HT transfers will he have to sit a year? He is not a grad transfer and as such would need a waiver to play immediately from the NCAA and SEC office right?

Considering TN impending sanctions, he'd probably get a waiver pretty easily. The NCAA seems to be pretty lenient when it comes to that nowadays.

This isn't an update on Henry T....this is a
giphy.gif
party! And there is nothin' we can do about it!

That's not at all what the CAV was saying, and you know that. I agree 100% with what @CAVPUT said. If a kid is here and then openly--or even more cowardly, through a parent--bashes the current school for a rival, why would you want him here? Why waste our breathe? That has nothing to do with looking at other schools' transfers. If Henry T were so great, then he would have stood out like a diamond when it came to crap show we saw this past season. I, for one, was not impressed with his consistent miscues, constant missed tackling, and the lack of leadership shown by him and others on that side of the ball.

Most likely he has been advised to wait on a possible NCAA One Time Transfer rule.

Saw on Twitter that Henry T is back in Cali. So that hope was short lived. My guess is that once the semester is over he announces he new hope.

That’s BS. The university should give both an ultimatum. Either get locked in or your scholarship is pulled.
I'm not saying it's right and I agree with you 100%. Recruiting/college sports is a dirty game - I can guarantee there are coaches that are betting on instant eligibility and have advised that way. For UT's part, I'd bet they've already informed both their scholarships will not be renewed once the current one is done.

According to the OP, Austin Price started this rumor that HTT was back in town during the week spring practice opened. Has AP explained how he got this so wrong, or did he just light this stink bomb and walk away?

Reactions: VolNExile
I think his statements and logic are obvious. Like Pat Summit used to say, focus on what you can control. HT is not something JH controls. Make him feel welcome, show him how he might fit in to the new team, then if he isn't interested, go play football. Coach's approach is pretty healthy and is what successful people do. Fans, for some reason, seem to want to see more lamentations and gnashing of teeth from coaches. I remember that ridiculous time when the Knoxville media wanted Butch to say, "The team failed." Butch, to his credit didn't bite and posters on this site were among those piling on, trying to get him to tell players they had failed when there was no benefit in doing so.

Heupel is telling the team that they don't need Henry to be successful. I don't understand why any fan would think that was a bad thing.

I think his statements and logic are obvious. Like Pat Summit used to say, focus on what you can control. HT is not something JH controls. Make him feel welcome, show him how he might fit in to the new team, then if he isn't interested, go play football. Coach's approach is pretty healthy and is what successful people do. Fans, for some reason, seem to want to see more lamentations and gnashing of teeth from coaches. I remember that ridiculous time when the Knoxville media wanted Butch to say, "The team failed." Butch, to his credit didn't bite and posters on this site were among those piling on, trying to get him to tell players they had failed when there was no benefit in doing so.

Heupel is telling the team that they don't need Henry to be successful. I don't understand why any fan would think that was a bad thing.
Have you seen the roster?

VN Store

Back