Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

Teams that won a natty & changed helmets
By berry nole on Feb 24, 2019, 9:05pm EST 8

 TWEET SHARE PIN
I got to thinking, how many other teams have changed primary helmets after winning a championship in my lifetime? I was born in 1978, each team below won a championship, listed from most recent to longest ago. Teams are not listed multiple times.
tl;dr - Out of the 21 schools that have won a natty in my lifetime, all are currently wearing the helmet that they won (all) their championship(s) in, except FSU.
tl;dr - No other school has been stupid enough to change their helmets directly after winning a championship, and if the helmets are not changed back this year, the only school that will have played as many seasons as FSU out of their iconic, championship winning helmet will be BYU, who at least had the decency not to change their gear for like 12 years after winning.
Below you will find each team that has won a championship since 1978
Clemson, has had the same helmets since 1970, before their first natty
Bama since 60
Ohio State has changed their stripe width, not sure if it is an alternate only look or every game. Have used the same helmets since 1968.
FSU won 3 Natty's, wearing the helmet from 1976-2013, and changed the helmet the following year.
Auburn has had the helmets since the late 60s at least
FU, still uses their Natty winning hemets from 96 for most games.
LSU has worn the same primary helmet since 1976.
Texas has used the same helmets +/- #s over the longhorn occasionallysince 1961
USC has used the same hemets since 1972 minus one year, 1992, when they changed the man of troy, no one liked it, so they changed it back.
Miami has used the same U since 1972, although only on white primarily since 1977
Oklahoma changed it's color from red to crimson in 1977 but other than that, still the same since 1966
Michigan has been using the same helmets since ww2
Nebraska, same hemets since 1970
Tennessee, same since 1977
Washington wore the same helmets from 1975-1994, including their Natty in 90. They changed back to them in 1999 after 5 years of wearing purple ones, and continue to wear them today.
Colorado used it's helmet exclusively from 1983 to 2014. Since then, it has been used on average for about half the games in a season
Ga tech never changed the gold helmet with gt logo from the 1969 season till 2014. They have continued to wear this gold helmet over 50% of the time today.
Notre Dame same as it ever was
Penn State same as it ever was
BYU has used a white helmet with a blue circle with a white y in it for most seasons since 1966 (99-04 they went with navy helmets), since 05 they have used the same helmets they won their Natty in, but with navy instead of royal blue.
Georgia same since 1964, added a black stripes for 5 years in the mid 90s, (15 years after their championship) and then changed back to the helmet they won the natty with around 2000.

Props to UW, who realized they should go back to a good helmet, and changed back after 5 years of purple ones.
You guys can feel free to forward the above to Nike / FSU. Make sure the idiots who thought putting light gold #s on white jerseys for our opener vs OSU in '14 gets it.

I posted this before, but I’ll say it again. LSU does the best job of keeping their traditional look while sometimes throwing in an alternate without making it look gimmicky.
C07A0872-5BFD-4434-8398-386062DAA4F4.jpeg

I don't propose a black uniform, but in it's place maybe all the secondary items are black? I spent like 30 seconds shopping up an example.image.jpg

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Teams that won a natty & changed helmets
By berry nole on Feb 24, 2019, 9:05pm EST 8

 TWEET SHARE PIN
I got to thinking, how many other teams have changed primary helmets after winning a championship in my lifetime? I was born in 1978, each team below won a championship, listed from most recent to longest ago. Teams are not listed multiple times.
tl;dr - Out of the 21 schools that have won a natty in my lifetime, all are currently wearing the helmet that they won (all) their championship(s) in, except FSU.
tl;dr - No other school has been stupid enough to change their helmets directly after winning a championship, and if the helmets are not changed back this year, the only school that will have played as many seasons as FSU out of their iconic, championship winning helmet will be BYU, who at least had the decency not to change their gear for like 12 years after winning.
Below you will find each team that has won a championship since 1978
Clemson, has had the same helmets since 1970, before their first natty
Bama since 60
Ohio State has changed their stripe width, not sure if it is an alternate only look or every game. Have used the same helmets since 1968.
FSU won 3 Natty's, wearing the helmet from 1976-2013, and changed the helmet the following year.
Auburn has had the helmets since the late 60s at least
FU, still uses their Natty winning hemets from 96 for most games.
LSU has worn the same primary helmet since 1976.
Texas has used the same helmets +/- #s over the longhorn occasionallysince 1961
USC has used the same hemets since 1972 minus one year, 1992, when they changed the man of troy, no one liked it, so they changed it back.
Miami has used the same U since 1972, although only on white primarily since 1977
Oklahoma changed it's color from red to crimson in 1977 but other than that, still the same since 1966
Michigan has been using the same helmets since ww2
Nebraska, same hemets since 1970
Tennessee, same since 1977
Washington wore the same helmets from 1975-1994, including their Natty in 90. They changed back to them in 1999 after 5 years of wearing purple ones, and continue to wear them today.
Colorado used it's helmet exclusively from 1983 to 2014. Since then, it has been used on average for about half the games in a season
Ga tech never changed the gold helmet with gt logo from the 1969 season till 2014. They have continued to wear this gold helmet over 50% of the time today.
Notre Dame same as it ever was
Penn State same as it ever was
BYU has used a white helmet with a blue circle with a white y in it for most seasons since 1966 (99-04 they went with navy helmets), since 05 they have used the same helmets they won their Natty in, but with navy instead of royal blue.
Georgia same since 1964, added a black stripes for 5 years in the mid 90s, (15 years after their championship) and then changed back to the helmet they won the natty with around 2000.

Props to UW, who realized they should go back to a good helmet, and changed back after 5 years of purple ones.
You guys can feel free to forward the above to Nike / FSU. Make sure the idiots who thought putting light gold #s on white jerseys for our opener vs OSU in '14 gets it.
Not sure I understand the premise of this. With the exception of a few, each of those teams uses or has used an alternate helmet recently and many regularly.

I’ll
Not sure I understand the premise of this. With the exception of a few, each of those teams uses or has used an alternate helmet recently and many regularly.
Yea......just not permanently changed it.
I just thought it was an interesting article. Nothing earth shattering, I know.

Curious that they are wearing orange/white cleats for spring practice.
i hope that means the black cleats are going back to the dust been of history, where they belong. The black outline is there on the away jerseys, unfortunately. I can deal with it better than the black cleats though. Maybe I'll get clean orange and white back one day.

If I was to guess, which is COMPLETELY what I’m doing...they probably have shoes from Nike that are a specific color of orange they can’t do anything else with because they were designed solely for UT so they use them for practice.

i hope that means the black cleats are going back to the dust been of history, where they belong. The black outline is there on the away jerseys, unfortunately. I can deal with it better than the black cleats though. Maybe I'll get clean orange and white back one day.

The cleats ordered for next fall are black.

VN Store

Back