Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

If part of it is they are working on an orange helmet and they are taking their time trying to get it right, I'm fine with that.

A black helmet seems like it would relatively easy to put together.

Reactions: volfaninky
If we can’t get black helmets ready for the black jerseys for a second straight year, something tells me it’s not “supply chain issues” holding back the order.

There’s a couple of high schools in Knoxville that are still waiting on their helmet order from last fall, so I’d say you’re incorrect. There was a backlog on the raw materials last year and there are production bottlenecks this year.

I’d say one alternate helmet makes it through this year, but it’s not in house yet.

There’s a couple of high schools in Knoxville that are still waiting on their helmet order from last fall, so I’d say you’re incorrect. There was a backlog on the raw materials last year and there are production bottlenecks this year.

I’d say one alternate helmet makes it through this year, but it’s not in house yet.
You comparing the university to high schools? Tennessee should be able to get helmets in 2 years. At some point it's just excuses.

You comparing the university to high schools? Tennessee should be able to get helmets in 2 years. At some point it's just excuses.

Most industries have been experiencing this in some way if they weren't stockpiled on certain things. So it doesn't matter what kind of school @DeerPark12 used as an objective example. Can't wait till all of this is over and production in general has some normalcy for sure though.

You act like helmets for colleges are made in different places than for high schools. A Factory can only pound out so many shells and pads at a given time. Whoever ends up ordering the shells and all the customization after that is kind of irrelevant to how many plain shells are available.

Further complicating matters is the fact that Tennessee players, like at most colleges, wear helmets made by three different manufacturers. So to get a custom color, even black, you have to get all the helmets from the different manufacturers, and get them to the company that does the graphics. Even a plain helmet that the equipment staff puts a power T decal on later has to be specially painted so that they all match. A black helmet from Ridell does not necessarily look the same under stadium lights as a black helmet from Schutt. A third party paints them all so they look the same. Tennessee also May have a helmet look in the pipeline that requires additional customization. So, again, you end up collecting all the base helmets from the different manufacturers, then send them to the customizer, then get them back to apply facemasks and have them fitted. You don’t just call up Dick’s Sporting Goods and say you need 100 black ones in large and extra large by next week.

You act like helmets for colleges are made in different places than for high schools. A Factory can only pound out so many shells and pads at a given time. Whoever ends up ordering the shells and all the customization after that is kind of irrelevant to how many plain shells are available.

Further complicating matters is the fact that Tennessee players, like at most colleges, wear helmets made by three different manufacturers. So to get a custom color, even black, you have to get all the helmets from the different manufacturers, and get them to the company that does the graphics. Even a plain helmet that the equipment staff puts a power T decal on later has to be specially painted so that they all match. A black helmet from Ridell does not necessarily look the same under stadium lights as a black helmet from Schutt. A third party paints them all so they look the same. Tennessee also May have a helmet look in the pipeline that requires additional customization. So, again, you end up collecting all the base helmets from the different manufacturers, then send them to the customizer, then get them back to apply facemasks and have them fitted. You don’t just call up Dick’s Sporting Goods and say you need 100 black ones in large and extra large by next week.

THIS is insight into the challenge from someone that has been doing this for many years. Get educated right here for free.

Please take note of this origin of legit info going forward with a smile on your face.

Go Vols !

Universities are more detailed but a high school isn't they order black or what ever color and slap the decals on they don't worry about light and most use the same helmet for years.

Listening to Ainge show. Brian Rice mentioned that they are working on a couple different helmet variations. Said doesn’t know if it will happen this year due to supply chain issues. Thought it was interesting enough to share.

I hope one of them includes electrified barb wire! lol

Not trying to be a complete ass here, but you're talking to Deerpak who is a legit proven Tennessee Football insider.
I’m old enough to remember a time when DP argued with me passionately that we’d never have black in the unis because Nike wouldn’t allow us to go outside the palette. Money/power gets things done. If we want them bad enough we would get them

Anyone else see the announcement of the former Columbia Blue on the Lady Vols teams being renamed as Summit Blue...looking for an article link.
Going to be debuted this year with Women's Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, and I think Softball.
I recall seeing the Men's Basketball team having a blue trim variant in the Ray Mears years.

Any chance as an homage to Pat / Title IX's 50th anniversary we see some addition of Summit Blue mixed into a Football uni in the future?

Anyone else see the announcement of the former Columbia Blue on the Lady Vols teams being renamed as Summit Blue...looking for an article link.
Going to be debuted this year with Women's Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, and I think Softball.
I recall seeing the Men's Basketball team having a blue trim variant in the Ray Mears years.

Any chance as an homage to Pat / Title IX's 50th anniversary we see some addition of Summit Blue mixed into a Football uni in the future?
As great as she was, I hope not. We may have used blue in basketball but not in football. It has no place.

As great as she was, I hope not. We may have used blue in basketball but not in football. It has no place.
That was kind of my thoughts as well at first.
My initial thought is that the shade of blue would be so subtle against the white and orange that it wouldn't be noticed unless there was a lot of blue.

Then I thought a minute and uniforms these days are used in a big way as recruiting tools so it might be possible to see a blue trimmed jersey in the future.
Likely wouldn't be seen well from the stands or on TV, but would look good on those recruits during visits.

I think these are the ones you're talking about.

college-basketball-closeup-portrait-of-tennessee-bernard-king-at-picture-id81341108

I think these are the ones you're talking about.

college-basketball-closeup-portrait-of-tennessee-bernard-king-at-picture-id81341108

Thanks; I went Googling after reading the article referencing the Mears jerseys yesterday but failed to find any photos. That jersey doesn't look great, and I don't think that men's basketball needs to consider this color scheme unless there's a good home matchup during We Back Pat week (football is a non-starter), but all women's team at Tennessee absolutely should incorporate Summitt Blue in one way or another every season.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Thanks; I went Googling after reading the article referencing the Mears jerseys yesterday but failed to find any photos. That jersey doesn't look great, and I don't think that men's basketball needs to consider this color scheme unless there's a good home matchup during We Back Pat week (football is a non-starter), but all women's team at Tennessee absolutely should incorporate Summitt Blue in one way or another every season.

In 2006 we wore home and away throwbacks of these

dane-bradshaw-tenn.jpg

VN Store

Back