Undisciplined team

I really do appreciate ALL the comments. CRB is a good coach, but our guys seem to have regressed as the season has gone on. That sentiment is reflected by others in the game thread. Snarky responses were expected. But the loss to A&M was tough to understand, and that road loss to Cincy was putrid basketball. If you don’t think this team is hard to watch, I don’t know what to tell you. Obviously I feel that way. Recruiting is meh, and we’re an NIT team this year. So you all can spew away, I don’t take it personal. Go Vols, be well.
Regressed? Everyone actually playing has shown improvement throughout the year. (With the exception of Bowdens shooting) has the team gotten worse than at the start of the year? Yes but it's not regression, it's losing our best player. Everyone else on the team but Bowden is having a career year. Bowden was always a streaky scorer. The fact his cold streak has lasted pretty much all year just means he's saving the heat for the stretch run. Maybe it's his evil plan to let the young guys develop😂

This thread is a disaster. Ban OP and people calling Barnes a disappointment or asking to can him after next year.

P.S. - Last years team wasn’t a failure bc we didn’t win it all. The best team in the nation rarely wins the NCAAt (not that we were the best team). Playing every two days in a random gym against an opponent you haven’t seen all year, in front of 5k fans, anything can happen. Notice Kentucky has won 1 ship since the turn of the century...

I really do appreciate ALL the comments. CRB is a good coach, but our guys seem to have regressed as the season has gone on. That sentiment is reflected by others in the game thread. Snarky responses were expected. But the loss to A&M was tough to understand, and that road loss to Cincy was putrid basketball. If you don’t think this team is hard to watch, I don’t know what to tell you. Obviously I feel that way. Recruiting is meh, and we’re an NIT team this year. So you all can spew away, I don’t take it personal. Go Vols, be well.
Please tell me you didn't post this without knowing what the upcoming recruiting class looks like. Dig a little hole, then use C4 to make it deeper. If the team is that hard to watch for you.....don't.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
My faith in CRB is diminishing. Let me have It. Call me uninformed. Tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about. This team is not buying in. They play uninspired. They don’t rebound, which is all effort and positioning. Ok, they lead the SEC in scoring D, that’s good. But players have regressed and it’s not because Turner is down. Hard to watch.

I am not going to talk you down from that ledge... just jump!

The season continued all the way into a tournament. That counts too.
What CRB did with that team last season was phenomenal! Do you think GW, AS, JB, & KA just showed up last year ready to play and have arguably the best season in UT basketball history? He’s had to replace his entire starting line up from last year, had turn over on his staff. Even if this season was worse than it is, I’m going to defend coach and this team because he’s a great coach, and more importantly than that, he’s a good man who is teaching these young men to do things the right way on and off the court.

Please tell me you didn't post this without knowing what the upcoming recruiting class looks like. Dig a little hole, then use C4 to make it deeper. If the team is that hard to watch for you.....don't.
True. 3 ***** coming in next season and that should be good. I’m an 84 grad, I watch every game. Have a good day.

I started to reply to this OP for the ill-informed thread, but VOL Nation took care of business. Team never gave up against Bama & whipped them in their own house. :cool:
True. As I said, an opinion can be expressed without making it personal. And yes, great comeback. Was good to see the guys prove me wrong last night. Have a good day.

What CRB did with that team last season was phenomenal! Do you think GW, AS, JB, & KA just showed up last year ready to play and have arguably the best season in UT basketball history? He’s had to replace his entire starting line up from last year, had turn over on his staff. Even if this season was worse than it is, I’m going to defend coach and this team because he’s a great coach, and more importantly than that, he’s a good man who is teaching these young men to do things the right way on and off the court.
That does not change the fact that he consistently underachieved. He built last years group into an amazing team, and then proceeded to vastly underachieve in tournament play. He underachieved in recruiting in multiple prior years leaving him with this underachieving relative to the program team. I fully expect he takes his team of superstars next year and proceeds to underachieve. He does seem like a good guy, though; but that is irrelevant in this discussion.

That does not change the fact that he consistently underachieved. He built last years group into an amazing team, and then proceeded to vastly underachieve in tournament play. He underachieved in recruiting in multiple prior years leaving him with this underachieving relative to the program team. I fully expect he takes his team of superstars next year and proceeds to underachieve. He does seem like a good guy, though; but that is irrelevant in this discussion.
And so, by your state-of-the-art reasoning, nearly every coach in America is an underachieving loser every year.

He did not “vastly” underachieve. I guess the Hall of Fame coaches at Duke, UNC, UK, and Gonzaga all underachieved too because they all had higher draft picks and didn’t make it to the final weekend.

My faith in CRB is diminishing. Let me have It. Call me uninformed. Tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about. This team is not buying in. They play uninspired. They don’t rebound, which is all effort and positioning. Ok, they lead the SEC in scoring D, that’s good. But players have regressed and it’s not because Turner is down. Hard to watch.

we have too many Betas and not enough Alphas n this team. hopefully one of the younger guys will grow into that leadership role. We have a piecemeal team at this point, just need to ride out the rest of the season and see effort and improvement individually and as a whole.

Undisciplined teams don't play good defense. We have a young team, they will get better.

This Kentucky basketball game this weekend becomes really big IMO. Not only because it would get us to 14-9(6-4) but because it would give us another marquee victory. Then we have Arkansas, USCjr, and Vandy which all are absolutely winnable! Beat Kentucky and stay on a hot streak and this season becomes a great story for the Vols. If not it’s just another mediocre season. If that stretch is successful though we could potentially have us at 17-9(9-4) or 16-10(8-5). It’s all up to our boys. It’s proven that when the effort is given and the right game plan is in place that we can play with even the likes of Kansas on the road! I’m not giving up on this season or these guys just yet.

Uninformed? Just not very up on the situation.
Do you follow the Vols? Do you jst drive by?

How many players from last years team are still on the roster?

How many of next years team are currently with the team?

Reactions: berryvol
pays not to give up too early...not the Vol way...still games to play and we still need to beat Kentucky, Saturday...:D

GO VOLS!

Reactions: SmokeyLives
Great win last night. They played with a lot of heart and they never quit. Great team? Far from it but if they play hard and show grit my expectations of THIS team will be satisfied. Anyone who thought otherwise with all that’s went on especially losing your entire starting lineup is just being unrealistic. But hey that’s part of being a Vol fan I guess.

If this team even makes the NIT, it will be a good coaching job. We lost five significant players from last year, and now our five star freshman is out with injury. Beating Alabama on the road last night with this crew is something.

Reactions: berryvol
You know what’s great though? We are 13-9(5-4) with a team that “sucks.” A team that loses all 5 starters is somehow managing to hang around in the SEC this year. Kentucky Saturday becomes a huge game for us, and don’t tell me it’s not a winnable game. We hung around and almost beat Kansas and we lost to A&M so we are capable of being great and also capable of being horrible. Let’s just wait and see how this plays out.
Our all time win percentage as a program is 61%. That’s about the percentage we’ve won this year. The fact that is a down year now is a testament to how much Barnes has elevated the profile of the program.

And so, by your state-of-the-art reasoning, nearly every coach in America is an underachieving loser every year.
No. You are expanding the parameters of the point being made to suit your own agenda. This is further applicable to one of the very highest paid coaches in the nation, which obviously creates different expectations, and rightly so.

VN Store

Back