Undisciplined team

This team lacks talent and experience. Now, you can blame that on Barnes, and he certainly has a hand in the blame, but at this point, he can't make the team more talented or more experienced. The fix comes next year with an increase in both areas.

Those not giving proper effort this year won't sniff the floor next year when we (hopefully) don't need to play them out of necessity.

I'll also mention that as the losses continue to mount, this bunch, which already seems to lack confidence, is seeing what little they seem to have had, wane with each additional loss.

There are three issues with this team. (1) Turner injured and out, (2) Bowden can't shoot from outside the arc, (3) Youth. Not much any coach could do much about other than get these guys experience. If Bowden had shot 33% from 3, it would extend the D and make it much easier on our bigs, and we probably would have won a couple more games. Our D is usually good. Turnovers, due to youth, are a big issue, but we're getting better. This team will continue to improve. Vescovi is getting better every game. Pons and Fulky are better now than they were a month ago. Bowden, while he plays solid D, has not improved. Gaines looked pretty good at times tonight. He's going to be a player. With a healthy Turner and a good season from Bowden, we'd be near the top of the SEC. The ONLY SEC coach I would prefer over Barnes is at AU.

My faith in CRB is diminishing. Let me have It. Call me uninformed. Tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about. This team is not buying in. They play uninspired. They don’t rebound, which is all effort and positioning. Ok, they lead the SEC in scoring D, that’s good. But players have regressed and it’s not because Turner is down. Hard to watch.
How was your faith last year in CRB? Has his ability to coach really changed that much from last year?

My faith in CRB is diminishing. Let me have It. Call me uninformed. Tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about. This team is not buying in. They play uninspired. They don’t rebound, which is all effort and positioning. Ok, they lead the SEC in scoring D, that’s good. But players have regressed and it’s not because Turner is down. Hard to watch.
This was a very undisciplined thread considering that one should always wait until the game is over else look a bit silly when the exact opposite of your opinion happens.

Not really. His contract is fully guaranteed for the next 3 years. UT can’t afford to fire him.
Yeah, only UT would fire a 700 win coach for a new mid major shiny penny. We lost 4 of our starting 5. We lost our best player for the year. They clawed out a W vs Bama. We’ve got a top class coming in where, for sure, someone in the group’s gonna be the alpha dog. Turner goes down and Vescovi is probably about the only one not afraid to take a good shot. Everything’s gonna be fine, but a good NIT run is about best we’re gonna get this year.

This was a very undisciplined thread considering that one should always wait until the game is over else look a bit silly when the exact opposite of your opinion happens.
But, we had such a good week of practice. Very disappointing to not execute on game night.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We flat out suck this year. Next year has to be our final four run/ SEC tourney win. One of those things need to happen next year.
You know what’s great though? We are 13-9(5-4) with a team that “sucks.” A team that loses all 5 starters is somehow managing to hang around in the SEC this year. Kentucky Saturday becomes a huge game for us, and don’t tell me it’s not a winnable game. We hung around and almost beat Kansas and we lost to A&M so we are capable of being great and also capable of being horrible. Let’s just wait and see how this plays out.

You know what’s great though? We are 13-9(5-4) with a team that “sucks.” A team that loses all 5 starters is somehow managing to hang around in the SEC this year. Kentucky Saturday becomes a huge game for us, and don’t tell me it’s not a winnable game. We hung around and almost beat Kansas and we lost to A&M so we are capable of being great and also capable of being horrible. Let’s just wait and see how this plays out.

To be honest I agree. I think Barnes is doing a good coaching job considering the roster.

To be honest I agree. I think Barnes is doing a good coaching job considering the roster.
Just upset the recruiting hasn’t gone a little better up until now. This is just another good foundational class though. When we have possible one and dones next year we will have all of these guys returning.(except seniors of course)

Reactions: SmokeyLives
I really do appreciate ALL the comments. CRB is a good coach, but our guys seem to have regressed as the season has gone on. That sentiment is reflected by others in the game thread. Snarky responses were expected. But the loss to A&M was tough to understand, and that road loss to Cincy was putrid basketball. If you don’t think this team is hard to watch, I don’t know what to tell you. Obviously I feel that way. Recruiting is meh, and we’re an NIT team this year. So you all can spew away, I don’t take it personal. Go Vols, be well.

Reactions: njvols
I really do appreciate ALL the comments. CRB is a good coach, but our guys seem to have regressed as the season has gone on. That sentiment is reflected by others in the game thread. Snarky responses were expected. But the loss to A&M was tough to understand, and that road loss to Cincy was putrid basketball. If you don’t think this team is hard to watch, I don’t know what to tell you. Obviously I feel that way. Recruiting is meh, and we’re an NIT team this year. So you all can spew away, I don’t take it personal. Go Vols, be well.
Recruiting is meh? Which year is this post from? 🤨

1. The game thread is typically not a reflection of rational fans.

2. Recruiting is "meh"? Geez....tough crowd.

Did you start following the team like a few hours ago or something?

Good lord...

1. No one has said the team wasn’t hard to watch. I think we’d all agree there have been stretches of really ugly play, even in wins (USC)
2. I disagree recruiting is meh. Recruiting has been meh? Sure. But as of right now recruiting is not “meh”

VN Store

Back