Unconditional love

She's talking about me, and likely a few others. Those were almost my exact words...words I stand by. I just find it interesting that some believe standing by one's beliefs in something....caring about it so much as to not endorse mismanagement, is somehow hurting ourselves.

Don't be deceived...I was as thrilled as anyone over our victory, and more specifically the improvement over the last month, as any self-proclaimed true, unconditional fan. I went out of my way to say so. It was a great sports weekend for me....my sons college football team is on a two week winning streak, and he's enjoying a lot of success at a new position. And then I got to go home and catch a dominating second half against USCjr...who I truly detest.

Save the self-righteous pity...I didn't miss out on anything.

Go Vols.
I don't really care either way, fans on both sides of the spectrum, doesn't effect my fandom and I certainly don't have pity for anyone that disagrees with me. I liked the original post and find it interesting the different responses, especially by the ones that were offended. Says a lot about a person. oh, before I forget, IMO.

Keep holding out brother, you can tell us how wrong we are for feeling good about the team in a couple of years if things go south. Enjoy your disappointment in a win.
Probably will just ruin your day to have to read this but I watched the game and had a good time. My joy comes from sources other than the self-appointed gatekeepers of truefandom.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
She's talking about me, and likely a few others. Those were almost my exact words...words I stand by. I just find it interesting that some believe standing by one's beliefs in something....caring about it so much as to not endorse mismanagement, is somehow hurting ourselves.

Don't be deceived...I was as thrilled as anyone over our victory, and more specifically the improvement over the last month, as any self-proclaimed true, unconditional fan. I went out of my way to say so. It was a great sports weekend for me....my sons college football team is on a two week winning streak, and he's enjoying a lot of success at a new position. And then I got to go home and catch a dominating second half against USCjr...who I truly detest.

Save the self-righteous pity...I didn't miss out on anything.

Go Vols.

Boro, I don't think she intended to be self-righteous, at all. She said "more power to you" if being nega- is your thing. But she also said that you missed some really special 'feels' by not being in the stadium cheering the lads on, Saturday. And there is absolutely zero doubt that she's right.

I watched the game from home, loved every minute of it, had a wonderful time...and still recognize that the folks who were there had even more fun. You don't get to "stand in the middle of the glory" all that often in life. Vollygirl and the rest with her did this Saturday, while you and I missed out.

So if her words seemed to cut you a little, that's only because you felt a little wrong, maybe (as you've already admitted in your crow-eating thread). The attack wasn't in the sending, it was in the receiving. Don't blame Vollygirl.

Go Vols!

Anyone that keeps up with this program after the last 10+seasons of fits and starts, watches the games, and takes the time to post about the program good or bad is a true Vol fan and displays "unconditional love" in my book.

Some folk can't afford to make the games as ticket costs have gone up across sports and live events in general. I am pretty well off and second guessing my decisions to attend events more than I used to with ticket and attendance costs going up.

Using game attendance as a requirement for fandom is short sighted and borderline arrogant.

I did just fine watching the game with 3 SC alumni Saturday night on TV and dont feel like it made me less of a fan. Even worked on trying to indoctrinate some new younger fans in between posting here and watching the game.

Boro, I don't think she intended to be self-righteous, at all. She said "more power to you" if being nega- is your thing. But she also said that you missed some really special 'feels' by not being in the stadium cheering the lads on, Saturday. And there is absolutely zero doubt that she's right.

I watched the game from home, loved every minute of it, had a wonderful time...and still recognize that the folks who were there had even more fun. You don't get to "stand in the middle of the glory" all that often in life. Vollygirl and the rest with her did, while you and I missed out.

So if her words seemed to cut you a little, that's only because you felt a little wrong, maybe (as you've already admitted in your crow-eating thread). The attack wasn't in the sending, it was in the receiving. Don't blame Vollygirl.

Go Vols!

I think you misunderstand my post if you believe I considered her post in the least "cutting". I've likely spent more time and stood in the "midst of more glory" in Neyland Stadium in my lifetime than the OP. I know it, and love it...which is exactly why I've taken the position I have in the last couple of years.

Self righteous was exactly the intent, even with the very title of the post. It was an intended as an indictment of those who don't subscribe to the OP's version of fandom....when in fact it simply came across as the bleating of sheep.

And you can be certain, I don't feel in anyway wrong about the stance I've taken. The improvement we have witnessed in the last month is obvious and encouraging, but the jury is still out on the season and this coach. Lets all hope it continues...I know I do.

Reactions: 615vols
Probably will just ruin your day to have to read this but I watched the game and had a good time. My joy comes from sources other than the self-appointed gatekeepers of truefandom.

That gate swings both ways. Posters whom I would characterize as “Negavols” often exude the attitude that, by holding the coaching staff to a much higher standard than the unconditional love which they derisively ascribe to “sunshine pumpers,” that they are the true standard bearers of Tennessee fandom.

The problem I ultimately have with the Negavol perspective is that it becomes virtually impossible to see their fandom when it is completely obscured by a smokescreen of incessant negativity and criticism.

Reactions: JustFunnN'Orange
That gate swings both ways. Posters whom I would characterize as “Negavols” often exude the attitude that, by holding the coaching staff to a much higher standard than the unconditional love which they derisively ascribe to “sunshine pumpers,” that they are the true standard bearers of Tennessee fandom.

The problem I ultimately have with the Negavol perspective is that it becomes virtually impossible to see their fandom when it is completely obscured by a smokescreen of incessant negativity and criticism.
Maybe we should institute a real-fan litmus test, so you guys can tell who is worthy.

I think you misunderstand my post if you believe I considered her post in the least "cutting". I've likely spent more time and stood in the "midst of more glory" in Neyland Stadium in my lifetime than the OP. I know it, and love it...which is exactly why I've taken the position I have in the last couple of years.

Self righteous was exactly the intent, even with the very title of the post. It was an intended as an indictment of those who don't subscribe to the OP's version of fandom....when in fact it simply came across as the bleating of sheep.

And you can be certain, I don't feel in anyway wrong about the stance I've taken. The improvement we have witnessed in the last month is obvious and encouraging, but the jury is still out on the season and this coach. Lets all hope it continues...I know I do.

Good for you. If that is what you took from her post then just ignore this thread. That wasn't what was said nor meant.

Lord have mercy.

One, you don't know me.

Two, Sunday night I saw a facebook post about dogs and owners and "unconditional love". We don't have a dog any more. And I was still giddy from the game, and the thought crossed my mind, that's kinda what it feels like, "unconditional love". And I wrote a post.

Three, there isn't a three. Just the one and the two.

Lord have mercy.

One, you don't know me.

Two, Sunday night I saw a facebook post about dogs and owners and "unconditional love". We don't have a dog any more. And I was still giddy from the game, and the thought crossed my mind, that's kinda what it feels like, "unconditional love". And I wrote a post.

Three, there isn't a three. Just the one and the two.
Cool.

Sparky got mad at the undisciplined way the Vols were playing and threw his helmet into the Mississippi River but he kept on cheering for the Vols. Last week we ordered him a new one and he is proudly wearing it everywhere he goes.
And it looks fabulous!!!

Reactions: hmanvolfan
And it looks feels fabulous!!!
fyp

(@VolunteerHillbilly)
biggrin2.gif

Some fans have unconditional love for Tennessee. I am one of those fans.

We don't take personal responsibility for decisions the administration makes. We don't take responsibility for calls the coaches make. We have opinions, and gripes, and concerns of course. But we don't have grand delusions that anything we say or do will make a difference in, well, anything.

We just love the Vols. We love dressing in orange. We love attending games. We love cheering til we're hoarse, win or lose.

We are the fans that showed up, and showed out, Saturday night. We are the fans that the announcers talked about. We are the fans that Pruitt talked about. And we are the fans who are all over social media supporting the Vols.

So feel free to take your stand in what ever manner you feel you need to. Boycott the games. Call yourself a nega-vol, and wear it like some kind of badge. Quit buying the stuff. Stop going to games. Say whatever you need to say, wherever you need to say it.

But don't think less of us just because we love the Vols. Because I promise you.....Saturday night we felt ALL the feels. And you missed out.

GO VOLS!!!
Thanks for Sharing
I AM A VOLAHOLIC also.

Some fans have unconditional love for Tennessee. I am one of those fans.

We don't take personal responsibility for decisions the administration makes. We don't take responsibility for calls the coaches make. We have opinions, and gripes, and concerns of course. But we don't have grand delusions that anything we say or do will make a difference in, well, anything.

We just love the Vols. We love dressing in orange. We love attending games. We love cheering til we're hoarse, win or lose.

We are the fans that showed up, and showed out, Saturday night. We are the fans that the announcers talked about. We are the fans that Pruitt talked about. And we are the fans who are all over social media supporting the Vols.

So feel free to take your stand in what ever manner you feel you need to. Boycott the games. Call yourself a nega-vol, and wear it like some kind of badge. Quit buying the stuff. Stop going to games. Say whatever you need to say, wherever you need to say it.

But don't think less of us just because we love the Vols. Because I promise you.....Saturday night we felt ALL the feels. And you missed out.

GO VOLS!!!

For once, the Tennessee football team made it easy to be Tennessee fans. It's amazing to me how loudly people can cheer if the Vols just give us something at all to cheer about. who knew? I did.

There’s no doubt Volly loves the University of Tennessee. I have a personal story about how a full time Vols fan walks the walk and talks the talk. Last spring @vollygirl her husband Tony, @Orangeslice13, his wife @Red13, @malinoisvol, @Orange Sunset and me all met in Nashville for a lunch gathering. We talked about the Vols and Volnation and had a good time. Afterwards we went out to the parking lot and Orange Sunset, who is an avid collector of all things Vols, was giving everybody gifts of Vols memorabilia. A fan and his lady friend were walking by and made a remark about Tennessee fans, can’t remember if they were fans of Vandy or Bama but Volly asked who they liked. Now she could’ve said well we’re not very good right now, or we have a terrible coach or something like that but she didn’t. She basically said she was proud to be a Tennessee fan and their school hasn’t always been perfect. I was grinning from ear to ear and thinking yeah, take that bro. 😁 The whole point of this narrative is she is just stating that people that are always negative or want to boycott the team are missing out on a lot of fun. Everybody has the right to state their opinion but we would all be better served to root for our beloved Vols win or lose. It’s all good y’all!

i did see a Bama fan on the plane on the way back. He said “you must like losing, wearing that orange “. I gave my standard answer “ I wear Orange because I graduated from the university of Tennessee, you wear red because you went to Walmart and bought a shirt.....Roll Walmart “
This is my first post and I give you 1000% LIKE for this. Most of them couldn't find the college nor the stadium without a map and compass.

There’s no doubt Volly loves the University of Tennessee. I have a personal story about how a full time Vols fan walks the walk and talks the talk. Last spring @vollygirl her husband Tony, @Orangeslice13, his wife @Red13, @malinoisvol, @Orange Sunset and me all met in Nashville for a lunch gathering. We talked about the Vols and Volnation and had a good time. Afterwards we went out to the parking lot and Orange Sunset, who is an avid collector of all things Vols, was giving everybody gifts of Vols memorabilia. A fan and his lady friend were walking by and made a remark about Tennessee fans, can’t remember if they were fans of Vandy or Bama but Volly asked who they liked. Now she could’ve said well we’re not very good right now, or we have a terrible coach or something like that but she didn’t. She basically said she was proud to be a Tennessee fan and their school hasn’t always been perfect. I was grinning from ear to ear and thinking yeah, take that bro. 😁 The whole point of this narrative is she is just stating that people that are always negative or want to boycott the team are missing out on a lot of fun. Everybody has the right to state their opinion but we would all be better served to root for our beloved Vols win or lose. It’s all good y’all!
🧡🧡🧡

VN Store

Back