Un-retiring numbers...thoughts?

IndianaVol

Old Timer, Quality Poster
So Colorado is bringing back some jersey numbers after recruits asked about specific ones being available.

Colorado unretires 3 numbers for football recruits

What are your thoughts VN?
Say if the number one QB, once in a lifetime type guy would only come to UT to wear the number 16, do we pull it out?
Are there certain numbers that would be completely off limits, such as 16, and others not?

Just an interesting subject for the off season and the mind set of the younger player...

I don't know if there's a protocol for this type of thing as Bama doesn't retire #s or jerseys. But I think it would be cool if a school worked with the holder of a retired number and got his public blessing to let a current player use it.

Last edited:
I don't know if there's a protocol for this type of thing as Bama doesn't retire #s or jerseys. But I think it would be cool if a school worked with the holder of a retired number and got his public blessing to let a current players use it.
The school made the decision to retire the number. They can unretire it without someone's "blessing". I have never been a fan of retiring numbers for the obvious problems it creates every time you decide to retire a number in a finite universe of 99 numbers and 85 scholarship athletes. We already have players using more than a single number on the roster as it is. Just retire the jersey and keep the number in circulation.

So Colorado is bringing back some jersey numbers after recruits asked about specific ones being available.

Colorado unretires 3 numbers for football recruits

What are your thoughts VN?
Say if the number one QB, once in a lifetime type guy would only come to UT to wear the number 16, do we pull it out?
Are there certain numbers that would be completely off limits, such as 16, and others not?

Just an interesting subject for the off season and the mind set of the younger player...

Absolutely not!!! The person who has been honored by the act of their number being retired will not only have his legacy diminished but make the ceremony a farce. The kid has no right to even ask much less have his request or demand granted.

Who wants to tell the families of Bill Nowling, Rudy Klarer, Willis Tucker and Clyde Fuson that their sacrifice in WWII didn't mean as much as some kids desire to wear their number?
Absolutely! But, I think those four numbers should be the only ones officially retired. Retiring the numbers of merely great players cheapens the meaning of the numbers retirement of those four WW 2 heroes. A ring of honor should be enough to honor Atkins, Majors, White, Manning, etc.

Absolutely not!!! The person who has been honored by the act of their number being retired will not only have his legacy diminished but make the ceremony a farce. The kid has no right to even ask much less have his request or demand granted.
This is something that should have a lot of forethought by those in authority BEFORE they retire a number. The obvious problems caused by retiring numbers are many. I think to retire a number is or should be permanent out of respect for that particular player. Then, you have recruits who want a number with no respect for the legend for whom the number was retired. Then, schools are forced to make a decision that is unpleasant for many involved.

Reactions: tbh
I know this number isn’t retired but I would love to see a superstar QB wear #7 again at UT.
Seems like they mostly give it to defensive players lately.
View attachment 259629
One did
Casey-Clausen-2.jpg

clausen_bama_sider.jpg

The school approached the family and or the player. It was approved by them first.

Reactions: Rockytoprowdy
Who wants to tell the families of Bill Nowling, Rudy Klarer, Willis Tucker and Clyde Fuson that their sacrifice in WWII didn't mean as much as some kids desire to wear their number?

Why not let new players wear the numbers but the honored former play's initials displayed on said numbers? The wearer should be fully indoctrinated on the former player's achievements on-field and off, and instilled with a desire to genuinely honor that player's effort, character, and other attributes. Something to strive for?.

Reactions: tbh and VOLinFL_
I know Reggie White's #92 wasn't retired back then but seeing Carlos Reveiz wear #92 after Reggie was pretty funny, IMO. Talk about opposites.

Last edited:
Reactions: greenbacknative
Yes; there are other ways to honor players besides retiring one of 99 jerseys when you need 85 year in/out. A gargantuan-sized jersey with their name & number can still adorn the rafters or whatever.

I disagree w Un-retiring numbers. Numbers should only be retired in the most exceptional cases anyway. Shouldn’t be an issue

Reactions: VOLinAL

The numbers of those players were used for years after they were retired.

VN Store

Back