Un-retiring numbers...thoughts?

it’s a retired number and should remain that way. They earned it by going above and beyond giving their all for Tennessee.

Reactions: sport3500
We haven’t retired enough numbers to consider unretiring. Besides, problems with numbers is an NFL thing since positions are locked to a certain set of numbers

The school made the decision to retire the number. They can unretire it without someone's "blessing". I have never been a fan of retiring numbers for the obvious problems it creates every time you decide to retire a number in a finite universe of 99 numbers and 85 scholarship athletes. We already have players using more than a single number on the roster as it is. Just retire the jersey and keep the number in circulation.

I agree. I meant that the school could have the owner of the retired # give his blessing in a calculated PR move.

Reactions: esarmstrong
The numbers of those players were used for years after they were retired.

Exactly. As late as the 80's those numbers were still in use. They weren't retired right after WWII.

I never have seen the attraction to digits on a jersey. Peyton took 16 because 18 wasn't available. And CPF didn't make it available, so Peyton made 16 his own. I'm also positive that it wouldn't reflect poorly on Peyton Manning's legacy in any way if #16 was back in the rotation. Same for those lost in WWII. It could be an honor to be awarded one of those guys jerseys, like 38 at Ole Miss. Let's not get too caught up in digits.

Reactions: Frozevol
I think what Colorado has done kind of begs the question of why they would retire a number. Whatever they are trying to accomplish, does it work? Is there any benefit to retire numbers?

If you're going to get into the mess of retiring and then unretiring numbers, why not just leave the numbers technically available but unissued?

The Steelers have only 2 officially retired numbers but about a dozen that haven't been issued since a significant player last wore it.

Retiring jersey numbers was one of the bubble-headed Mike Hamilton's ideas. Before that, only three numbers had been retired, those of Vol lettermen who gave the last full measure of devotion in this country's service. I'm all for honoring great Vols, but I can tell the difference between sacrifice and show business. Before Hamilton screwed it up, a retired Tennessee number really meant something.

The problem with retiring numbers is the same as naming streets after players. Pretty soon, you run out or tick people off who've lived there for decades. If a player is worthy, he doesn't need his number retired; his career will speak for itself. I feel the same way about naming public property for politicians.

Reactions: Frozevol
OK IF...….
1. The family or player agrees and
2. Significant amount of time has passed as not many people left to remember who they were or what they did

Good discussion here so far brothers and sisters...pretty much landed where I thought and for the most part sounds like we are all on the same page (retired number should be for a player that does something truly exceptional beyond the football field).

New question-what are your thoughts on a player playing into a number in the ring of honor as a reward to that player (I think something like this is already done with Inky Johnson's number)...for example, say Harrison Bailey absolutely balls out, should he be allowed the honor of wearing the 16 his final season?

VN Store

Back