UGA collapsing

1) Their schedule. They play Bama in week 3 and Auburn in week 6. They play Tennessee much later in the season. They could have 2 SEC losses before playing Florida and could have 3 before playing Tennessee.

2) There is a weird cultural problem in Athens. They had numerous players get arrested all last offseason, they have the Zach Evans situation, they have 5* players transferring to rivals, they have marginal guys departing for the NFL draft.

3) They have a decimated offense. They lose 8 of 11 starters, four o-line starters, the QB, top 2 RB’s, so they’re basically starting brand new in an offense that was already very bad.

4) Florida and Tennessee are improving.

Combine these together and I think someone not named Georgia wins the East in 2020.
Any chance Mullen’s seat warms up a little if he doesn’t win the East next year? That would be no East titles in 3 years and next year UF will be the favorite with an easier conference schedule than UGA and more people returning, including Trask. I don’t think he would be in real trouble but the grumbling would start for sure if Mullen doesn’t win the East next year imo.

If this was happening to UT, we would just say "we're making room for better prospects"

As long as they out recruit us, we will have problems in the East.
Depends on what you mean by out recruit. If they are consistently top 3 and we are always in the 20s or worse then I agree. If they are top 3 but we are always top 10 then I don’t agree. Player development can overcome that kind of gap and Clemson is proof.

If only an NFL team had hired Mullen away. Would have been nice to have UF take a step back too.

Oh well. Can’t have it all I guess.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
Depends on what you mean by out recruit. If they are consistently top 3 and we are always in the 20s or worse then I agree. If they are top 3 but we are always top 10 then I don’t agree. Player development can overcome that kind of gap and Clemson is proof.

And usually the difference in the teams in the top 10 is 1 or 2 players.

Any chance Mullen’s seat warms up a little if he doesn’t win the East next year? That would be no East titles in 3 years and next year UF will be the favorite with an easier conference schedule than UGA and more people returning, including Trask. I don’t think he would be in real trouble but the grumbling would start for sure if Mullen doesn’t win the East next year imo.

Agree that UF has a good chance to win the East next year, but no chance he finds himself on the hot seat. He inherited a 4-win team with an offense that literally could not complete a forward pass. Too many good things going on for any hot seat talk. Now you’ll have the 10% segment who want everyone fired for everything, but no way in hell Mullen finds himself on the hot seat unless the wheels fall off (6-6, 7-5 type year). Even then, it’d take another full year or two with similar results for him to be in any trouble with the majority of the fan base.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Agree that UF has a good chance to win the East next year, but no chance he finds himself on the hot seat. He inherited a 4-win team with an offense that literally could not complete a forward pass. Too many good things going on for any hot seat talk. Now you’ll have the 10% segment who want everyone fired for everything, but no way in hell Mullen finds himself on the hot seat unless the wheels fall off (6-6, 7-5 type year). Even then, it’d take another full year or two with similar results for him to be in any trouble with the majority of the fan base.
There’s always the 10%. Thanks for your take. I think the 10% would be saying fire him after next year with no East title. It is certainly reasonable to be patient but expectations are sky high at Florida and by year 3 I think most Gator fans expect to at least win the East, especially when you expect to be better than UGA this coming year. Maybe UT will go ahead and take the East this coming year so we can find out!

Reactions: Jaws

It's your team, but I respectfully disagree 100%. UF loses a lot this year, and I get that. But they return what may be the consensus top QB in the league with Burrows and Tua gone. Fromm's departure has left people in shock and Georgia replaces its entire OL. If UF can't take care of business against Georgia next year then will they? I actually think Tennessee is similarly postured. I just posted it in another thread. If we don't win the East next year, when will we? I think the same is true for UF, but with much more scrutiny. If Mullen can't win the East next year, I don't think he ever will.

I know we have no right to have an overconfident attitude regarding the state of our program, especially considering we are exiting the worst ever decade of UT football. But, it must be terrible to be a Georgia fan. They have no excuse. All the talent in the world in their front yard, and they can't win the games that matter. It's pitiful... I wonder if they have a trophy case set aside for recruiting classes??

Thanks, Ras!

Always nice to read the patronizing ravings of a simpering millennial journalism major, especially when they don’t realize Chaney coached at UT first.

So should I buy tix to the game in Athens before the season, or after they’ve choked away games to Auburn and Florida?

I’m thinking door no. 2, Monty!

It may be that I’m married to a fine-arse Athens filly, but I’ve never considered UGA a rival. Also, they were our beeotch for so long I feel like we own them no matter what.

Don’t get me wrong, it bothered me momentarily in the games we lost, but then I remembered that Georgia gonna Georgia. Good damn dog! Always true to form.

Reactions: rikberry31
I know we have no right to have an overconfident attitude regarding the state of our program, especially considering we are exiting the worst ever decade of UT football. But, it must be terrible to be a Georgia fan. They have no excuse. All the talent in the world in their front yard, and they can't win the games that matter. It's pitiful... I wonder if they have a trophy case set aside for recruiting classes??

It’s so sweet. Tears of fail are delicious AND nourishing!

If Mullen can't win the East next year, I don't think he ever will.

As good as Trask was, Mullen hasn’t unleashed his full offense until he gets someone who is also a threat with his legs. His best QB’s were at least a little bit dangerous running the ball; Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott, even Nick Fitzgerald was dominating for a while under Mullen. So I think Mullen’s best teams will be when he has that true dual-threat guy.

I will say this, I think the last two teams will be Mullen’s worst. I think every team from here on out will be better, especially if recruiting is as strong as we think it is. There will definitely be some hype for this 2020 team, and I think Florida will win 10+ games again which will have them in the SEC hunt. But I don’t think it’s SEC East or bust just yet.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
There’s always the 10%. Thanks for your take. I think the 10% would be saying fire him after next year with no East title. It is certainly reasonable to be patient but expectations are sky high at Florida and by year 3 I think most Gator fans expect to at least win the East, especially when you expect to be better than UGA this coming year. Maybe UT will go ahead and take the East this coming year so we can find out!

I think the 2020 team will be his best of the three he’s had. Florida’s weakness in 2019 (o-line) should be a strength in 2020. 4 of 5 starters return and they had about 6 dudes redshirting, plus some really good incoming true freshmen.

Safety play has to improve, the main guys all return back there, but I’m not worried about any other position on the team.

Should be a helluva year.

Reactions: VolinMC

VN Store

Back