Who wins todays game? 1vs2

• UCONN

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • USC

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • I couldn’t care less.

Votes: 34 44.7%

• Total voters
Reading some of the comments here about this game. Several repeat that South Carolina is the deeper team over Connecticut. Connecticut is not a deep team? How much deeper do they need to be?

To me, it's not about depth, it's about balance. South Carolina is the more balanced team right now, over CT. More balanced offensively and defensively. For CT, Nelson-Ododa and Edwards shot a combined 6-10 in the game. That's 60% conversion. But only 10 attempts?? Why?? Why weren't they factored more into CT's offense to provide more pressure on the Gamecock posts, perhaps to get them into more foul trouble?

South Carolina's posts of Boston and Cardoso alone dominated CT's posts of ONO, Edwards, and Juhasz. ONO had a great game shot-blocking, especially early in the game, but in the 2nd half the CT bigs disappeared like so much smoke in front of a fan.

And then the guard-battle. THIS was where Connecticut was supposed to dominate, right? Bueckers almost did, but she too faded in the late stages. She looked gassed. The Gamecock guards of Henderson, Cooke, Beal and Littleton who hit two big 3-pointers, out-scored Bueckers, Williams, Westbrook, and Fudd 44 pts to 43 pts.

But they didn't NEED to out-score them. Didn't even need to score WITH them. Just be within their rear-view mirror's sight. Because the post play would take care of the rest. South Carolina beat Connecticut from the front-court, AND the back-court too. They won based on balance. Staley played her entire team all tournament, while Luigi focused on his starters. He got out-coached, as well as his team got out-played. Back to the drawing board.......

SC has as many all star recruits, except theirs play defense too.

Perhaps its just time. COnnecticut has been at the top just way too long. They've gotten spoiled, gotten entitled. I remember when Geno's early teams were battling with Pat's Lady Vols, and they had players who would dive on the floor, and gut it out to the end. Throw themselves into the fray and fight. They don't really have players like that anymore, and don't coach them to be players like that anymore.....

Reading some of the comments here about this game. Several repeat that South Carolina is the deeper team over Connecticut. Connecticut is not a deep team? How much deeper do they need to be?

To me, it's not about depth, it's about balance. South Carolina is the more balanced team right now, over CT. More balanced offensively and defensively. For CT, Nelson-Ododa and Edwards shot a combined 6-10 in the game. That's 60% conversion. But only 10 attempts?? Why?? Why weren't they factored more into CT's offense to provide more pressure on the Gamecock posts, perhaps to get them into more foul trouble?

South Carolina's posts of Boston and Cardoso alone dominated CT's posts of ONO, Edwards, and Juhasz. ONO had a great game shot-blocking, especially early in the game, but in the 2nd half the CT bigs disappeared like so much smoke in front of a fan.

And then the guard-battle. THIS was where Connecticut was supposed to dominate, right? Bueckers almost did, but she too faded in the late stages. She looked gassed. The Gamecock guards of Henderson, Cooke, Beal and Littleton who hit two big 3-pointers, out-scored Bueckers, Williams, Westbrook, and Fudd 44 pts to 43 pts.

But they didn't NEED to out-score them. Didn't even need to score WITH them. Just be within their rear-view mirror's sight. Because the post play would take care of the rest. South Carolina beat Connecticut from the front-court, AND the back-court too. They won based on balance. Staley played her entire team all tournament, while Luigi focused on his starters. He got out-coached, as well as his team got out-played. Back to the drawing board.......

Neither team played their star freshmen. Azzi and Hall got a handful of minutes, but that's it. No Rivers or Feagin for SC; no Ducharme or Berry for UConn. The game was played with the returning players from last season as well as the impact transfer for each team. SC won because their returning players were better than UConn's. Cooke and Henderson were horrible in last season's loss. They provided a balanced scoring threat to complement Boston, who completely dominated inside.

I think the additional depth for both teams will be more evident in their rematch in January. I don't expect Fudd/Rivers in particular to be spectators next time around. But right now...and probably in January too...I think SC is hands down the better team. If Rivers turns into a solid defender with her offensive skills and Boston/Cardoso get more comfortable playing at the same time, they will be scary good.

I was unable to watch the game due to travel, but looking at the play-by-play, what seemed to stand out to me was that UConn, who is definitely not used to trailing in the fourth quarter, started playing tight and rushing their play, resulting in things going from bad to worse.

Would anyone who watched the game be able to confirm my feeling or provide other insight?

Jim

Reactions: krichunaka
I was unable to watch the game due to travel, but looking at the play-by-play, what seemed to stand out to me was that UConn, who is definitely not used to trailing in the fourth quarter, started playing tight and rushing their play, resulting in things going from bad to worse.

Would anyone who watched the game be able to confirm my feeling or provide other insight?

Jim
I noticed 2 things:

1.) UConn started getting passive and was waiting for Paige to save the day. She was making all sort of tightly contested shots, but they stopped falling in the 4th quarter. Williams couldn't hit from outside, and was getting smothered inside. Evina had a hot start, then kind of disappeared. Outside of those 3, UConn was having a hard time putting points on the scoreboard.

2.) UConn was playing tired. SC played really intense defense all game, and it was slowly wearing them down. You didn't see it in the first half, but it started to materialize in the 3rd quarter and was on full display in the 4th. The size/physicality of SC broke them down. They completely neutralized UConn's frontline except when Paige was able to force SC to double team her and she passed out to an open player under the basket. SC was also killing them on the boards.

I'd be interested to see the final HS rankings of all the players on both SC and CT teams if any of the recruiting followers on here has a spreadsheet handy with those numbers.

All I can remember is that reigning NPOY Paige B. was the No. 1 recruit, Aliyah B. was No. 3 and that Evina W. was a top 5. I'm pretty sure both teams have several more players who were top recruits out of high school.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Pretty even, if you ask me.

UConn:
#1 Bueckers, Williams, Fudd
#2 Westbrook
#5 ONO, Ducharme
#15 DeBerry
#21 Griffin
#23 Edwards
#25 McLean
UR: Gabriel, Muhl, Juhasz

SC:
#2 Johnson
#3 Boston, Rivers, Cardoso
#4 Cook, Feagin
#6 Henderson
#10 Amihere
#11 Beal
#14 Hall
#23 Grisette
#33 Littleton
#43 Russell
#47 Saxton
UR: Thompson, Wesolek

Last edited:
Seeing THAT, how in the world does Connecticut lose to anybody? And how in the world do they score only 3 points in an entire quarter????? :eek:

Is that CT roster the most loaded with stars of any full roster ever? I'm kinda shocked after seeing those numbers all together like that. o_O

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Seeing THAT, how in the world does Connecticut lose to anybody? And how in the world do they score only 3 points in an entire quarter????? :eek:

Is that CT roster the most loaded with stars of any full roster ever? I'm kinda shocked after seeing those numbers all together like that. o_O
And, for UCONN, I believe that Muhl and Juhasz don't have numbers attached because they are international players. They would likely have been ranked fairly high if from here.

Recruiting rankings do matter imo, but they are really educated guesses and it seems clear that, for example, not all #1's are created equal. (Williams has been something of a disappointment, as were, to me, the two UCONN #1's that preceded her--Walker and Samuelson--but not, obviously, the one before that: B. Stewart; I think the jury is still out on Haley Jones at Stanford.) In my view, Bueckers and Boston are the only true game changers on the two lists, with SCar generally having a leg up (on the court) after that. I don't think UCONN will be able to close the playing gap this year unless someone not named Paige really steps up.

I think SC's roster is better because they are more balanced. UConn doesn't have a true center on their team, other than Piath (their version of Saunders). The have some height, but those players aren't strong bodies that can displace Boston or Cardoso. That's been a problem they've had since Kiah Stokes graduated, but they've had a bunch of WBCA All Americans who were good enough overall players that they could mask that deficiency. Even after Stewart and Tuck graduated, they still had Williams and Collier who were good enough to dominate inside until they run into a team with a player like Tiera McCowan.

UConn:
#2 Westbrook
#5 ONO, Ducharme
#13 Edwards
#15 DeBerry
#21 Griffin
#23 Edwards
#25 McLean

SC:
#2 Johnson
#3 Boston, Rivers, Cardoso
#4 Cook, Feagin
#6 Henderson
#10 Amihere
#11 Beal
#14 Hall
#23 Grisette
#33 Littleton
#43 Russell
#47 Saxton
UR: Thompson, Wesolek

These guys don’t have anything on us !

#2 Jordan Hourston
#43. Rae Burrell
#43. Sara Puckett
#47. Tamera Key
#45. Caroline Stricklin
#62. Kaiya Wynn
#100 Emily Saunders
3*. Dye
3*. Brooklin Miles
??? Tess Darby
??? Jordan Walker
??? Jessie Rennie
??? Marta Suarez

I think SC's roster is better because they are more balanced. UConn doesn't have a true center on their team, other than Piath (their version of Saunders). The have some height, but those players aren't strong bodies that can displace Boston or Cardoso. That's been a problem they've had since Kiah Stokes graduated, but they've had a bunch of WBCA All Americans who were good enough overall players that they could mask that deficiency. Even after Stewart and Tuck graduated, they still had Williams and Collier who were good enough to dominate inside until they run into a team with a player like Tiera McCowan.
yeah I agree with you.... uconn weakness relatively in the middle.... they have to get very good very fast at that position... i e deberry has to develop.... because SC IS balanced..... wouldn't want to play either one of them in tournement.... fudd is a freshman.... and freshmen develop at different levels...

I just think SC is just a better team. Their guards defend and are so quick and athletic. With the exception of PB and the eventual evolution of Fudd, UConn’s guards are nothing to write home about. Westbrook and Williams looked old and slow. There is no competition in the post either. Unless UConn makes some drastic changes or PB can carry all the weight, they’re going to lose to a lot of top 5-10 teams.

Reactions: dapeak
Geno trying to run his players out of uconn.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211124-081833_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-081833_Samsung Internet.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 7
I just think SC is just a better team. Their guards defend and are so quick and athletic. With the exception of PB and the eventual evolution of Fudd, UConn’s guards are nothing to write home about. Westbrook and Williams looked old and slow. There is no competition in the post either. Unless UConn makes some drastic changes or PB can carry all the weight, they’re going to lose to a lot of top 5-10 teams.
I think UConn will improve a lot this season as their newcomers adjust. Unfortunately for them, SC will also improve a lot over the season for the same reason...with probably more upside just with Cardsoso alone.

Having said that, I think it's premature to write UConn off. They have all the players back from the team that beat SC and Baylor last year, and made the FF. I don't see a lot of teams out there that has the combination of players that SC threw at them...maybe also Stanford and NCST. Also a team like Maryland can outgun them if they are playing well. Other than that, I think they would be heavily favored against everyone else in the top 10, and are about even with the other teams I mentioned not named SC.

He's been doing this since he took over the program. That's nothing new. He hasn't had any key players transfer out in God knows how long, so they probably know what they're in for when they sign up.

Well, soon or later it will blow up in his face like others coaches. SILVIA North Carolina, Syracuse, Oklahoma, didn't see it coming. U go one day remember this my comment.

Reactions: stlvolsfan

UConn:
#2 Westbrook
#5 ONO, Ducharme
#15 DeBerry
#21 Griffin
#23 Edwards
#25 McLean

SC: