UAB is Back!

With the win today UAB is bowl eligible (6-1). The home win streak is now at 16; undefeated at home since the comeback and a real chance to stretch it to 3 full seasons.

Bill Clark has achieved bowl eligibility in each of his 4 seasons at UAB. UAB had only been bowl eligible two times before he arrived.

Why are we suddenly talking **** about UAB because we had a moral victory versus Alabama?

I have a fear that Alabama will hire him away when Saban retires. I’m not sure what other jobs other than Auburn he’d leave for. He’s coached his entire career in Alabama and grew up in Piedmont. He doesn’t strike me as the type to jump for the next best offer
There's absolutely no way that happens because 1) Alabama fans won't think he's good enough for them and 2) the history between UAT and UAB. If UAT got its way, UAB wouldn't even have a football program.

Reactions: vols40
There's absolutely no way that happens because 1) Alabama fans won't think he's good enough for them and 2) the history between UAT and UAB. If UAT got its way, UAB wouldn't even have a football program.
It depends when Saban retires. If he lasts another 5 years then Clark should/would be a top candidate. Dabo and the Saban tree will be the first people they reach out to but after that Clark is as good as any candidate out there.
I think UA would love nothing more than to take UAB’s most successful coach and give them the bird while they’re doing it

It depends when Saban retires. If he lasts another 5 years then Clark should/would be a top candidate. Dabo and the Saban tree will be the first people they reach out to but after that Clark is as good as any candidate out there.
I think UA would love nothing more than to take UAB’s most successful coach and give them the bird while they’re doing it
I doubt they stoop to hiring a G5 coach.

I don't think they'd even consider hiring a non-P5 coach no matter how successful he was. Remember this is Alabama we're talking about, and whoever they hire will be replacing the greatest CFB coach of all-time. A big criteria for them in their next head coach will be picking somebody who they think is "worthy" or a big enough name for the job. Whoever they hire will have to have proven a lot at a high level already. I honestly don't know who they'll hire at this point because now that he's won 2 titles at Clemson I think Dabo would say no. I don't understand how it improves his career if he moved at this point; if he still was searching for a title at Clemson, it'd be a no-brainer for him to leave. If not Dabo I bet Kirby is another person they'd ask, but I don't know why he'd leave either. Maybe James Franklin or Urban Meyer? Jimbo? I think they'd love to hire a guy who has won a national title before, but that's a short list. Maybe someone from the NFL?

Clark has been incredible at UAB but there's absolutely nothing that indicates he could handle the spotlight he'd be under. Bammers consider someone like Bill Clark to be beneath their program.

I don't think they'd even consider hiring a non-P5 coach no matter how successful he was. Remember this is Alabama we're talking about, and whoever they hire will be replacing the greatest CFB coach of all-time. A big criteria for them in their next head coach will be picking somebody who they think is "worthy" or a big enough name for the job. Whoever they hire will have to have proven a lot at a high level already. I honestly don't know who they'll hire at this point because now that he's won 2 titles at Clemson I think Dabo would say no. I don't understand how it improves his career if he moved at this point; if he still was searching for a title at Clemson, it'd be a no-brainer for him to leave. If not Dabo I bet Kirby is another person they'd ask, but I don't know why he'd leave either. Maybe James Franklin or Urban Meyer? Jimbo? I think they'd love to hire a guy who has won a national title before, but that's a short list. Maybe someone from the NFL?

Clark has been incredible at UAB but there's absolutely nothing that indicates he could handle the spotlight he'd be under. Bammers consider someone like Bill Clark to be beneath their program.
They might promote from within depending on who is on his staff whenever he retires. Keeping the machine running has worked for Oklahoma and Ohio St. Dabo will definitely say no. Kirby will get a call but why leave your alma mater when the door opens up even more to win a title at UGA. Jimbo seems like a logical candidate but I think the pressure is higher than what he’d want to take on.
But to your point about Clark, he might be beneath the decision makers at UA, but everyone in the state knows he’s a damn good coach. I’d mostly hate having a coach I like at Alabama. If he stays 5 more years at UAB, they’ll be built into a perennial top 25 team

Tennessee needs them to botch this hire so Vandy can go back to being a doormat
Vandy's been a doormat or near-doormat since Franklin left. Mason is only 10-34 in conference play - 30% of his conference wins are against us. We can't beat them consistently because we're a doormat too.

Vandy's been a doormat or near-doormat since Franklin left. Mason is only 10-34 in conference play - 30% of his conference wins are against us. We can't beat them consistently because we're a doormat too.
It's going to be nice that Derek Mason's last game coaching Vandy will be a loss to Tennessee in Neyland Stadium

Given Clark's history of developing deep ties in the high school ranks I doubt he'd see a Vandy as a good way to jump into the P5. Vandy recruiting is a different beast with the academic requirements.

He can hold out for a much better job than Vandy.

Reactions: volinbham
Big win for the Blazers saturday over La Tech. Completes 3rd full season of home games since the comeback: 18-0 at home.

If FAU beats So Miss the Blazers (if they beat N. Texas) will repeat as W. Div champs in CUSA in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year (picked 4th in the division).

Bill Clark is the real deal.

They did it. UAB went on the road and beat UNT while Lane Kiffin's FAU beat So Miss - UAB wins CUSA West Div and heads to Boca Raton to face the Lane Train for the CUSA Championship.

No one expected UAB to contend but here they are again. Each year back has exceeded expectations. Go Blazers!

VN Store

Back