Tyler Smith Named Assistant Coach at Columbia Central

This is big news for me too because I used to live down the street from their Head Coach, Nicholas Campbell! I've played "median baseball" with him many a time.

Looks like they're putting together a great program there at Columbia Central.

And, Congrats, Tyler!

Columbia Central has had an outstanding program for decades. They've only recently fallen off a little. The old Lion's Den was covered with district championship banners. They'd win like 19 out of every 20 there for a while. Tyler grew up one county down in Giles County. Vincent Yarbrough is a Maury County resident these days too.

Notable alums are Fred Jenkins who played for the Vols in the mid 80's, Larry Marks who played for Arkansas in the late 90's, Lee Fowler played for Vanderbilt in the 60's, Rony Bailey at MTSU, head of TSSAA Bernard Childress played for the Lions. Dozens of guys that played at the next level. Lake Kelly who was an assistant coach at Kentucky and head coach at Austin Peay, coached at Columbia Central after his college coaching days and took them to a couple of state tourneys back in the 90's.

Tyler won a state championship at Pulaski and one of his teammates at the time ( I can't remember his name) is the head coach at Harriman and just won a state title up there about 5 years ago....apparently Tyler isn't that bad of a person reguardless of his past if he's willing to share his knowledge of the game with these young men around here in Columbia....to each their own on judging the him though....Columbia is a "sleeping giant" amongst high school programs in Tennessee imo

Reactions: ksgovols
Will never forget him murdering us when he was in HS at Giles Co (our biggest rival). Happy for him.

Will never forget him murdering us when he was in HS at Giles Co (our biggest rival). Happy for him.
Where did you go to high school? Lawrence County High here.

Edit: You profile says you're from Lawrenceburg. What year did you graduate? '05 here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blake25p
Columbia Central has had an outstanding program for decades. They've only recently fallen off a little. The old Lion's Den was covered with district championship banners. They'd win like 19 out of every 20 there for a while. Tyler grew up one county down in Giles County. Vincent Yarbrough is a Maury County resident these days too.

Notable alums are Fred Jenkins who played for the Vols in the mid 80's, Larry Marks who played for Arkansas in the late 90's, Lee Fowler played for Vanderbilt in the 60's, Rony Bailey at MTSU, head of TSSAA Bernard Childress played for the Lions. Dozens of guys that played at the next level. Lake Kelly who was an assistant coach at Kentucky and head coach at Austin Peay, coached at Columbia Central after his college coaching days and took them to a couple of state tourneys back in the 90's.

After my first 4-5 seasons as head coach, I had a winning record against Coumbia, then Claiborne retired. I think we beat the Lions 3 times the next 10 years. Coach Kelly had some outstanding teams; the one with Baily on it was probably his best. That team finished something like 32-2. They lost to Decatur, Alabama and in the state tournament finals to a team from Memphis, I think.
We beat that same Decatur team that season at our place 76-74. They had 3 kids on that team that played D-1. Marco Whitfield went to Bama and led them in scoring. A 6'8" Johnson kid went to TSU and led them in scoring, won their conference, and to the big dance. Can't remember where the third kid went......Auburn maybe, but did not qualify. Columbia beat us in overtime for the district championship. My point guard had mono and I wouldn't let him ride the bus, much less play. When we arrived at the gym, he was sitting in the stands with his mom and dad. He begged to play; mom and dad ok'd it. Believe it or not, the dude had a triple double. 32 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists all from a 5'10" country boy. Great kid.....RIP.

Where did you go to high school? Lawrence County High here.

Edit: You profile says you're from Lawrenceburg. What year did you graduate? '05 here.
2011, had a family member that was in HS at the time he was at Giles Co so we went to all the games.

After my first 4-5 seasons as head coach, I had a winning record against Coumbia, then Claiborne retired. I think we beat the Lions 3 times the next 10 years. Coach Kelly had some outstanding teams; the one with Baily on it was probably his best. That team finished something like 32-2. They lost to Decatur, Alabama and in the state tournament finals to a team from Memphis, I think.
We beat that same Decatur team that season at our place 76-74. They had 3 kids on that team that played D-1. Marco Whitfield went to Bama and led them in scoring. A 6'8" Johnson kid went to TSU and led them in scoring, won their conference, and to the big dance. Can't remember where the third kid went......Auburn maybe, but did not qualify. Columbia beat us in overtime for the district championship. My point guard had mono and I wouldn't let him ride the bus, much less play. When we arrived at the gym, he was sitting in the stands with his mom and dad. He begged to play; mom and dad ok'd it. Believe it or not, the dude had a triple double. 32 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists all from a 5'10" country boy. Great kid.....RIP.

I want to say Brainerd beat them in the state finals when they had C.J. Black. Bailey had SEC talent in my opinion. Just wanted to stay close to home I guess.

Lol! Coach Claiborne was coaching when I graduated in the late 70's. Coach Hardy Lloyd just recently passed away. Gym is named after him. When an 8AAA team goes to state, they are pretty good because they beat a good Murfreesboro area team in regions to get there.

Was it Smith or Hopson that embarrassed that Arkansas center and dunked all over him?

And yeah outstanding...the only Vol to ever record a triple double (Although I could see Josiah changing that soon).

I want to say Brainerd beat them in the state finals when they had C.J. Black. Bailey had SEC talent in my opinion. Just wanted to stay close to home I guess.

Lol! Coach Claiborne was coaching when I graduated in the late 70's. Coach Hardy Lloyd just recently passed away. Gym is named after him. When an 8AAA team goes to state, they are pretty good because they beat a good Murfreesboro area team in regions to get there.
I was at school in at Central during that time and it was Brainerd who beat us that year and believe it was Memphis Fairley we lost to in the finals the year after.

Reactions: ksgovols

Was it Smith or Hopson that embarrassed that Arkansas center and dunked all over him?

And yeah outstanding...the only Vol to ever record a triple double (Although I could see Josiah changing that soon).
If not James, then perhaps Corey Walker. I have comped him to Tyler Smith before, and I believe that is the type of role he will likely play.

As good of a passer as Grant Williams was (especially out of double-teams), its kind of hard to believe he didnā€™t sneak one in at some point.

VN Store

Back