'20 TX QB Haynes King (TAMU Commit)

King is number 19 overall player on ESPN Top 300 and number 1 QB
Big time. Espn has been the best recruiting service lately in terms of ranking the top 150ish players. 247 still does the best job ranking the rest. Rivals is a joke

Haynes King:

ESPN: No. 19 overall, No. 1 QB
247: No. 32 overall, No. 2 dual-threat QB
Rivals: No national ranking, No. 72 in the state of TX, 3-star

One of these is not like the other
Rivals only cares about commits and leans to the elite programs these days.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Haynes King:

Bailey is the same way but with ESPN

Rivals: No. 32 overall, No 2 pro style QB
247: No. 155 overall, No 5 pro style QB
ESPN: No 244 overall 25th QB really low 4 star

Haynes King:

Does Scout still exist in any capacity? I know they sort of merged with 247, but do they still have their own rankings or does the composite now just compose of 247, espn, rivals?

Okay.. but they signed him. We’re not talking about what they do when they get there, we’re talking about getting them there
How did it benefit them? And they don’t NEED them anymore?

I'm no expert.. why does he best "fit a pro style offense" if he is so athletic?

Does Scout still exist in any capacity? I know they sort of merged with 247, but do they still have their own rankings or does the composite now just compose of 247, espn, rivals?
Not really, no. 247 I think "merged" with them, but it was more like they bought them out.

These two articles I think provide a pretty decent overview on the ownership of the recruiting sites:

From Feb 2017:

The assets of college sports website network Scout Media are headed to one of its biggest rivals. Scout cancelled its bankruptcy auction Wednesday after no other company formally challenged CBS's (CBS - Get Report) $9.5 million stalking-horse bid.

Judge Michael E. Wiles of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York in Manhattan approved the sale at a hearing later that afternoon. Terms of the debtor's bankruptcy loan require the sale to close by Monday.

CBS owns 247Sports.com, which, like Scout, aggressively covers college football and basketball recruiting and operates subscription-based websites dedicated to individual schools. Annual membership fees for Scout sites are about $100, while 247 charges its users $150 per year.

Scout's most valuable assets are its contracts with the publishers who operate those team sites and its analysts that track recruits. The "vast majority" of Scout's contracts will be assumed by 247, a person familiar with the matter told TheStreet.

Of the few contracts that aren't immediately assigned to 247, most will be renegotiated, according to the source, who declined to be named because 247 and Scout have not yet finalized which contracts will be assigned. Any publisher contracts that remain with Scout's bankruptcy estate could be sold at a later date.

Scout's websites will operate on the debtor's web platform for six months as they get transferred over to 247, the debtor said in court.

CBS' 247Sports.com will buy sports website Scout Media's assets

From Dec 2015:

Recruiting-centric sites for specific colleges have often been seen as a valuable and unique web property, particularly thanks to their strong subscriber-fee model (one of the few areas where this has really worked). These sites can do well in traditional traffic and attention metrics, too, but it’s the numbers of people willing to pay for full access that have really made these stand out in the internet landscape and made them a desirable target for media outlets, leading to Fox buying Scout.com in 2005 and Yahoo’s 2007 purchase of the Rivals network. However, that hasn’t always worked out; ESPN’s efforts in the space never really panned out, and Fox sold Scout to the North American Membership Group in 2013, reportedly for less than the $60 million they paid initially. Wednesday saw the news that CBS has bought the third big recruiting network, 247 Sports (they’ve had a sales, distribution and content partnership since 2013, but this is a full acquisition), and it’s going to be interesting to see what that leads to.

The background to all this is fascinating, especially as it’s so many of the same people involved. AA’s Ben Koo wrote a good overview of the history of all three networks in 2010; essentially, Jim Heckman started Rivals in the late-90s, was ousted after a failed IPO, tried to buy the site, but saw it sold to a group led by Shannon Terry and Bobby Burton in 2001. Heckman then started Scout (initially The Insiders), sold it to Fox in 2005, and now is running it and the merged NAMG again as part of what he calls “the Yahoo for men.” Meanwhile, Terry sold Rivals to Yahoo in 2007 and then started 247 in 2010, so he’s now been part of two big recruiting site sales. Sports Business Journal‘s Eric Fisher reports that he will stay on after the deal to run 247:

CBS acquires 247 Sports, a further push into the recruiting sphere

Because he's a pro style qb who happens to be very athletic.

Trying to understand what that means. I have usually assumed an athletic qb would be a DT-QB. Less athletic/pocket guys have been labeled as PS-QBs. So, King is clearly at his best rolling out and is athletic...this doesn't really add up to a typical PS-QB profile.

Maybe he is used to being under center and/or traditional play-action plays. Not sure, but just a guess.

Trying to understand what that means. I have usually assumed an athletic qb would be a DT-QB. Less athletic/pocket guys have been labeled as PS-QBs. So, King is clearly at his best rolling out and is athletic...this doesn't really add up to a typical PS-QB profile.

Maybe he is used to being under center and/or traditional play-action plays. Not sure, but just a guess.

I think scouts and analysts have forgotten the difference between the two. These are the same people that said Bailey has bad mobility for a pro style QB.

Taint happening regardless home slice
The only reason I think it wouldn't is aTm. I think Bailey is truly committed and King doesn't seem to consider competition a problem at all.

Why do you think we couldn't sign both?

Edit: aTm the only reason right now. So many other suitors could make an impact before ESD.
Cause... it really is only June.

Last edited:
The only reason I think it wouldn't is aTm. I think Bailey is truly committed and King doesn't seem to consider competition a problem at all.

Why do you think we couldn't sign both?

Edit: aTm the only reason right now. So many other suitors could make an impact before ESD.
Cause... it really is only June.

Mainly just a gut feeling he goes to atm lol

VN Store

Back