Two more games cancelled

Don't know about you bro, but I ain't lining up for a vaccine that has blown through all it's safety trials and any negative news about it hushed up. Plus they have 100% immunity from any lawsuits. Err.. what could possibly go wrong?

I'll be first in line after the docs and nurses. From January to April 15 roughly 2,000 people flow through my office and 2 weeks out of work would cost me roughly $11,000.

CBS makes a ton of ad money from it that’s why they paid so much. The championship game in 2019 alone drew $114M in ad buys.

“Since ads are so pricey, the financial commitment required to get a few seconds of ad time during the March Madness tournament leaves little room for anyone but the biggest corporate fish. AT&T Wireless spent $68 million last year to run 17 spots 282 times. Buick spent $42.5 million to air two spots 137 times. Geico spent $36.4 million, Capital One spent $31.6 million and Progressive spent $27.9 million.”

The Money Behind the March Madness NCAA Basketball Tournament

You left off the rights fees that they have to pay before they can collect any advertising revenue.

You left off the rights fees that they have to pay before they can collect any advertising revenue.

No I didn’t lol. I considered those and if you read the article you can still see for CBS it is a huge financial windfall despite how much they pay for the rights fee.

“Just three short years after breaking the billion-dollar mark, the tournament now brings in nearly $1 billion in ad revenue on its own, $933 million, to be exact.”

“With championship game ads going for $1.5 million each, spending by the end of the tournament rivals that of the Super Bowl — and 15 days worth of March Madness tallies up nicely. It’s estimated that CBS and Turner took in $1 billion from ads in 2018, and iSpot.tv took in $1 billion as well. Kantar Media reported pulling in $1.32 billion.”

If my math is correct CBS is making around $70-80M off ad revenue from the tournament per year after rights fees.

“With championship game ads going for $1.5 million each, spending by the end of the tournament rivals that of the Super Bowl — and 15 days worth of March Madness tallies up nicely. It’s estimated that CBS and Turner took in $1 billion from ads in 2018, and iSpot.tv took in $1 billion as well. Kantar Media reported pulling in $1.32 billion.”

If my math is correct CBS is making around $70-80M off ad revenue from the tournament per year after rights fees.

And they gave up hundreds of hours of programming that would have also generated advertising revenue. Do you know what opportunity cost is? Are you including production costs in your P&L? It’s very expensive to fly crews and talent all over the country, put them up in hotels, feed them, and pay them. Plus the equipment needed for about 70 productions is not cheap.

And they gave up hundreds of hours of programming that would have also generated advertising revenue. Do you know what opportunity cost is? Are you including production costs in your P&L? It’s very expensive to fly crews and talent all over the country, put them up in hotels, feed them, and pay them. Plus the equipment needed for about 70 productions is not cheap.

I would imagine that the NCAAT draws greater ratings than whatever else is being shown, such as NCIS and whatever soap opera and news shows are on during the day/night.

Here’s another link saying how much CBS makes: March Madness Is Most Profitable Postseason TV Deal In Sports

“According to Kantar Media, the 2017 tournament generated $1.285 billion in ad revenue, producing a fat profit for CBS and Turner, even when you include their production costs.”

I’ve provided two sources stating how profitable this is for CBS. You’ve provided none.

Not only that, but common sense would dictate that is CBS is willing to pay $20B over 24 years for the NCAAT, they are damn sure making money on it. Even if 20M is being used for all those other things you mentioned, based on estimates that’s still about $50M-60M for three weeks worth of coverage.

I would imagine that the NCAAT draws greater ratings than whatever else is being shown, such as NCIS and whatever soap opera and news shows are on during the day/night.

Here’s another link saying how much CBS makes: March Madness Is Most Profitable Postseason TV Deal In Sports

“According to Kantar Media, the 2017 tournament generated $1.285 billion in ad revenue, producing a fat profit for CBS and Turner, even when you include their production costs.”

I’ve provided two sources stating how profitable this is for CBS. You’ve provided none.

Not only that, but common sense would dictate that is CBS is willing to pay $20B over 24 years for the NCAAT, they are damn sure making money on it. Even if 20M is being used for all those other things you mentioned, based on estimates that’s still about $50M-60M for three weeks worth of coverage.

This link compares the NCAAT to OTHER SPORTS’ POST SEASON DEALS (that are losing money... as per your linked article). It’s not making a comparison to say airing NCIS reruns.

“In contrast, TV advertising revenue for other postseasons in 2018 (compared with the average amount the networks are paying to televise games) stacked up like this: The NFL postseason drew $1.68 billion in advertising ($5 billion), the NBA playoffs $970 million ($2.7 billion) and MLB $468 million ($1.38 billion). College football bowl games raked in $382 million.”

CBS makes a ton of ad money from it that’s why they paid so much. The championship game in 2019 alone drew $114M in ad buys.

“Since ads are so pricey, the financial commitment required to get a few seconds of ad time during the March Madness tournament leaves little room for anyone but the biggest corporate fish. AT&T Wireless spent $68 million last year to run 17 spots 282 times. Buick spent $42.5 million to air two spots 137 times. Geico spent $36.4 million, Capital One spent $31.6 million and Progressive spent $27.9 million.”

The Money Behind the March Madness NCAA Basketball Tournament

This link provides no detailed narrative of the profitability of CBS. It cites the revenue generated and primarily how it relates to the NCAA’s P&L. But the article does include this statement which supports my post:

“partnering with the NCAA gives the network PRESTIGE that compels advertisers to spend more on CBS’ other programming.”

Actually I have a couple decades of direct experience with broadcasting and network finance.
I am not doubting that at all, but my previous statement still stands. U rarely change your mind, no matter what and I can respect that, most of the time

I am not doubting that at all, but my previous statement still stands. U rarely change your mind, no matter what and I can respect that, most of the time

In this case, I’m not wrong. I didn’t change my mind that Barnes was an excellent hire either.

It stinks that so many games are being cancelled but Covid spreads so easily and impacts everyone differently. I was NOT hospitalized but missed three weeks of work after having numerous symptoms for two weeks. I had most symptoms and don’t ever recall feeling so bad during my 49 hrs of life and i am in overall good health.

Hopefully we can get the season started and UT can make a deep run this season.

Reactions: ohhbother
I wish they would postpone the start date until March. I guess it's too late now to change

I’m hoping that playing in empty arenas will allow the season to play out unfettered. As many others have already posted, having the season wiped out when we go into it with the best roster in school history is so Tennessee.

Cant mess around with this covid. My parents both recently recovered. But we just burried my dad's brother. I want the season more than anything because I'm a diehard hoops fan. But safety is more important.

It stinks that so many games are being cancelled but Covid spreads so easily and impacts everyone differently. I was NOT hospitalized but missed three weeks of work after having numerous symptoms for two weeks. I had most symptoms and don’t ever recall feeling so bad during my 49 hrs of life and i am in overall good health.

Hopefully we can get the season started and UT can make a deep run this season.
This idea that if you’re otherwise healthy, don’t worry, is BS. Missing three weeks of work on a commission job would be a big blow.

Reactions: ohhbother
This link provides no detailed narrative of the profitability of CBS. It cites the revenue generated and primarily how it relates to the NCAA’s P&L. But the article does include this statement which supports my post:

“partnering with the NCAA gives the network PRESTIGE that compels advertisers to spend more on CBS’ other programming.”
When you’re releasing statements like that it generally means you aren’t making much money.

Really bummed that the basketball season is tipping off and we have to wait nearly 2 weeks to see the Vols

Reactions: vols 30
This idea that if you’re otherwise healthy, don’t worry, is BS. Missing three weeks of work on a commission job would be a big blow.[/QUOTE

Thank goodness I work for you a great bank/company. I didn’t have to use any vacation nor sick time.
I didn’t watch the KY game as I felt so bad and slept. I was at the Er (2nd time) during Bama game.

It’s crazy how it impacts everyone differently. My 17yr old son and daughter were positive w symptoms for a few days then ok. My wife has MS and tested positive but recovered after a week.

VN Store

Back