Two more games cancelled

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Gonzaga and Notre Dame. Probably being discussed in the other thread, but for visibility...

Gonzaga and Notre Dame. Probably being discussed in the other thread, but for visibility...
Just saw that....was REALLY looking forward to watching the BB team to take my attention off of the FB team.

Ugh.

Do hope all have minimal symptoms and recover completely.

Best laid plans, and all that... . We are going to have to knock out COVID19, preferably with a vaccine, in the near future. What Rick Pitino suggested about delaying this season and having "May Madness" might not be such a bad idea for this year.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Well have time after we resume activities (Dec 5th) and our next game (Dec 12). Wonder if we can schedule a game in that time frame.

Well have time after we resume activities (Dec 5th) and our next game (Dec 12). Wonder if we can schedule a game in that time frame.

It'd be nice to squeeze in one around the 9th then another on the 27th-28th.

Best laid plans, and all that... . We are going to have to knock out COVID19, preferably with a vaccine, in the near future. What Rick Pitino suggested about delaying this season and having "May Madness" might not be such a bad idea for this year.
Don't know about you bro, but I ain't lining up for a vaccine that has blown through all it's safety trials and any negative news about it hushed up. Plus they have 100% immunity from any lawsuits. Err.. what could possibly go wrong?

There will be a NCAA Tournament, this year. I can almost guarantee it. CBS and their sister stations, along with the NCAA can't miss all that money, again.

Reactions: Volfan1000
The one thing we have to cling onto, the one sport we may actually not embarrass ourselves in, is being swept out right from under us😭😭😭

Maybe Pitino is right. Punt on January and start season in early March. May Madness has a ring to it.

Reactions: The Dog
There will be a NCAA Tournament, this year. I can almost guarantee it. CBS and their sister stations, along with the NCAA can't miss all that money, again.

I think that CBS doesn’t make much money on the NCAAT. They spend a fortune buying the broadcast rights and it instead has a lot to do with bragging rights. The local affiliates probably see an advertising windfall but don’t have a whole lot of say in the matter. The NCAA (and the schools) though, they will be in financial dire straights if they miss the revenue in consecutive years. Some venues and cities will suffer too, but since they rotate around few, if any, lose back-to-back years. Dayton loses the First Four.

Maybe Pitino is right. Punt on January and start season in early March. May Madness has a ring to it.
Cases should be dropping dramatically in the Spring, so I can see it. It's going to happen whether it's in late March, April or May. I'm also starting to think UT will probably only play a conference schedule during the regular season. Will probably make every win, even more important, but I'm not too worried about this UT team

It looks like the CDC has seen enough data they they are about to revise their quarantine recommendations to somewhere between 7-10 days from the current 14. That should help the balance of the hoops season. Fingers crossed for closer to 7...

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I think that CBS doesn’t make much money on the NCAAT. They spend a fortune buying the broadcast rights and it instead has a lot to do with bragging rights. The local affiliates probably see an advertising windfall but don’t have a whole lot of say in the matter. The NCAA (and the schools) though, they will be in financial dire straights if they miss the revenue in consecutive years. Some venues and cities will suffer too, but since they rotate around few, if any, lose back-to-back years. Dayton loses the First Four.

CBS makes a ton of ad money from it that’s why they paid so much. The championship game in 2019 alone drew $114M in ad buys.

“Since ads are so pricey, the financial commitment required to get a few seconds of ad time during the March Madness tournament leaves little room for anyone but the biggest corporate fish. AT&T Wireless spent $68 million last year to run 17 spots 282 times. Buick spent $42.5 million to air two spots 137 times. Geico spent $36.4 million, Capital One spent $31.6 million and Progressive spent $27.9 million.”

The Money Behind the March Madness NCAA Basketball Tournament

Just saw that....was REALLY looking forward to watching the BB team to take my attention off of the FB team.

Ugh.

Do hope all have minimal symptoms and recover completely.

I seriously think there is a higher chance of someone getting hospitalized from UT fans having to watch the football team without basketball to lean on, than college athletes who get Covid.

VN Store

Back