Transfer Tyreke Key (Tennessee commit)

…is the best Rick Barnes can do? I thought he was the point guard whisperer.. we used 2 spots on 2 point guards now, the other guy was pretty good I think he was like an 11ppg n 8apg guy. I’m thinking he ends up being really good but this guy?? What’s he gonna be the 8th guy off the bench? Why waste a spot on him.
SonOfGod? More like SonOfA...

Too many guards Ziegler, Edwards, Key, Viscovi, Powell and they still want the PG from St Louis .. how many u need ??

5 or 6 PGs and SGs is about right. JJJ is often a guard as well, but more of a 3rd guard/small forward. 60% of 13 is almost 8.

If he gets back to his pre-injury 3 point shooting he will be an impact player in our offense. If the shoulder lingers he will probably be on par with 2022 Bailey and that will be a wash. Either way, he's a one year investment as he only has this upcoming season to play.

Nope.
I mean if Kentucky,auburn, or Arkansas signs this guy the fan base does what I just did. Wonders if that’s the best available, or if it’s the best we can do it at the time.
I just feel like we could’ve done better is all.
They sign this guy, and there's a sizable portion (claiming to be) of this fanbase wailing over being out-recruited.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I know. .. Key and the guy from St Louis and ZZ ?? When u have Edward's and Viscovi both can do it .. ?? Don't get it ..

Vescovi isn’t a great PG - it’s better to keep him as the primary off guard. Yuri Collins allows BJE to be brought along at a measured pace. Adding Yuri also means that TN can continue bringing ZZ off of the bench in the double PG lineup same as in 2021-22. Tyreke Key is a bit of a gamble, but if he gets back to his pre-surgery output it is a great addition. Right now nobody is expected to redshirt, so using the 13th scholarship on Tyreke is a good move IMO.

Where's the studly big man from the portal we've all been craving?
Are there not any available or just not any interested in playing for Barnes?

Vescovi isn’t a great PG - it’s better to keep him as the primary off guard. Yuri Collins allows BJE to be brought along at a measured pace. Adding Yuri also means that TN can continue bringing ZZ off of the bench in the double PG lineup same as in 2021-22. Tyreke Key is a bit of a gamble, but if he gets back to his pre-surgery output it is a great addition. Right now nobody is expected to redshirt, so using the 13th scholarship on Tyreke is a good move IMO.
But I think Yuri will see too many PG's and not enough PT ...where as he can go somewhere else and 32 min a game .. he won't get that here .he

But I think Yuri will see too many PG's and not enough PT ...where as he can go somewhere else and 32 min a game .. he won't get that here .he

25-28/mpg in the SEC might better prepare him for the NBA than 32+ at a mid-major. Plus the added competition at the position is where 75% plus of development occurs. In practices.

Yuri will be our starting PG if he comes here. Only JJJ/Vescovi and maybe Nkamhoua will get more minutes than him.

I really can’t deal with Barnes supporter’s.. blind lambs being led to be slaughtered. 😂😂
And yet you claimed to be a Barnes supporter...

I hate to be that guy… No I really do, but looking at the returning players and the recruits we have coming in Tennessee is going to take a major step backwards this coming year. With less depth, no KC, this could be the year the Barnes hecklers catch up to him. I’ve been a Barnes believer since he got here and I’ve continued to stick my neck out for him giving him the benefit of the doubt, but is the coaches play style outdated?? I mean all defense, defense , defense , defense and the all to well known phrase,”It’s not about me.”
if you was a recruit would this system jump out at you and make you be interested?? The NBA loves offense, hell everybody does. Ever heard the saying a good offense always beat a good defense?? Well I think that saying is especially true in basketball..
I know I’m probably going to get blasted for this , and part of me really believes in coach Barnes but we have to ask ourselves, is the coaches style outdated boring, and honestly those post season woes makes you wonder if the style even translates to when it matters most.. I know we don’t have any options that’s out there, like a big fish I guess.. but look at TV he was an assistant coach and pretty much everybody overlooked him. He’s done wonders for Tennessee baseball, and it’s because he’s fierce, young, and a go getter with a winning attitude.. maybe just maybe after this season Tennessee finally starts closing the chapter on the Rick Barnes era.

Nothing worse than when trolls can't keep their story straight...

Key's not being brought in to run the point, so it's more accurate to just refer to him as a guard, not a point guard. The selling point to Collins is he'll be the primary PG for a team that won the SEC Tournament last year.

VN Store

Back