'24 Transfer Portal

Assuming Heard is a silent, I wonder if we'll pursue any more portal targets, other than the Stanford DL?

I really, really wish we would throw a big NIL deal Caleb Downs way.

I think we should give this dude a look:

A 6'3 corner with P5 starting experience, multiple years of eligibility, who was a part of one of the best pass defenses in the country last year:

He's probably Washington or USC bound, but I can dream

Was a Vols target out of high school but couldn’t make it to the Pitt game bc it was a noon kickoff and just stayed out west fwiw

Yes, because pursuing top talent is always a bad idea. Like I said, the chances of us getting him are slim to none, but he's a great talent, and you at least call him up. I agree with everyone that he's going home to Iowa, but he's going to be a damn good player IMO.

Should we not contact Caleb Downs, either? I mean, we already have safeties on the roster. Why did we pick up portal CBs when we already have some on the roster? You never stop pursuing talent that makes your team better.
Just use common sense. We don’t need an OT as we just signed one (that also played 12 games as a true freshman). Heard is also probably more athletic. We have 2 true freshmen behind them. We don’t have to contact everyone who enters the portal. We are in a numbers crunch. Is Caleb Downs the same situation? No. You guys just want what everyone else has.

Last edited:
Just use common sense. We don’t need an OT as we just signed one (that also played 12 games as a true freshman). Heard is also probably more athletic. We have 2 true freshmen behind them. We don’t have to contact everyone who enters the portal. We are in a numbers crunch. Is Caleb Downs the same situation? No. You guys just want what everyone else has.
lmao I don't want what everyone else has, I just want to get better. I don't believe in chasing every player, but I do believe in pursuing the special ones.

Lord have mercy dude. Do we want Caleb Downs?? Of course. Every program and I mean EVERY program in the country wants Caleb Downs. There isn’t a single school that would turn him down. People like you drive me nuts. You make silly comments like oh you just want what everyone else wants. lol.

When teams like OSU, Texas, Bama and UGA want a player there is a reason they do. And yes I want the players they want. Why? Hmmm well let’s see. Maybe it’s because those teams are the elite of the elite. The best of the best. There is a reason why Saban dominated CF like we have never seen. There is a reason why UGA has been almost unbeatable the last 3 years. It’s because of players like Downs. Most of us want TN to be the top dog. To be that we need the best talent. Why can’t people like you understand that?

Lord have mercy dude. Do we want Caleb Downs?? Of course. Every program and I mean EVERY program in the country wants Caleb Downs. There isn’t a single school that would turn him down. People like you drive me nuts. You make silly comments like oh you just want what everyone else wants. lol.

When teams like OSU, Texas, Bama and UGA want a player there is a reason they do. And yes I want the players they want. Why? Hmmm well let’s see. Maybe it’s because those teams are the elite of the elite. The best of the best. There is a reason why Saban dominated CF like we have never seen. There is a reason why UGA has been almost unbeatable the last 3 years. It’s because of players like Downs. Most of us want TN to be the top dog. To be that we need the best talent. Why can’t people like you understand that?
So one player is “special” and every team in America wants him…im sure we will make a run at him but the odds of getting him based on his prior relationships with two schools in general (UGA,OSU) make it a tough task

Reactions: Smokey19rt
So one player is “special” and every team in America wants him…im sure we will make a run at him but the odds of getting him based on his prior relationships with two schools in general (UGA,OSU) make it a tough task
Oh I realize that the chances are slim. But what’s wrong with trying? What’s the worst thing? He says no. I see no indication from AP or anyone else that we are at least trying. Maybe we are. I hope so.

Reactions: vol94

Reading comprehension. Re-read it.

Last edited:

Correct. None of our starting cornerbacks from last year, save Ricky Gibson in the bowl game, are back. You try to bring in the best you can. Especially when our pass defense has been atrocious the last several years

Then you missed the point.
The discussion was mostly about Kadyn Proctor, not Caleb Downs, and you blew up about Downs. I acknowledged that Downs was different. But Weezer wanted us to pursue Proctor, when Heard is done and Campbell may have switched positions to do it. There is no need to pursue Proctor, as I’m not sure he showed quick feet anyway. Yet, you jumped into it after one response. As I said, just because someone is in the portal, doesn’t mean we have to pursue.

The discussion was mostly about Kadyn Proctor, not Caleb Downs, and you blew up about Downs. I acknowledged that Downs was different. But Weezer wanted us to pursue Proctor, when Heard is done and Campbell may have switched positions to do it. There is no need to pursue Proctor, as I’m not sure he showed quick feet anyway. Yet, you jumped into it after one response. As I said, just because someone is in the portal, doesn’t mean we have to pursue.
Well, there's also this:
According to On3's Pete Nakos, the Tennessee Vols are one of the programs that's "expressed interest" in Proctor this week.

"Sources have said Tennessee and Florida State have expressed interest, among plenty of other suitors," wrote Nakos.

Despite the interest from Tennessee and Florida State, Nakos has Iowa landing Proctor.

Proctor is from Des Moines, IA, so it makes sense that he'd transfer to a program that allows him to play close to home.

Well, there's also this:
According to On3's Pete Nakos, the Tennessee Vols are one of the programs that's "expressed interest" in Proctor this week.

"Sources have said Tennessee and Florida State have expressed interest, among plenty of other suitors," wrote Nakos.

Despite the interest from Tennessee and Florida State, Nakos has Iowa landing Proctor.

Proctor is from Des Moines, IA, so it makes sense that he'd transfer to a program that allows him to play close to home.
He also wants to start. We now have 2 starters.

VN Store

Back