Transfer Portal Thread

Drama queen. Why even enter the portal? I hope this doesn’t become the norm but I’m afraid it will be.

Going forward the more recognizable players will be focused on building their brand and creating goodwill with fan bases. Looking around will hurt their N-I-L revenues.

This transfer chaos is nearing the end… although I don’t know if the immediate eligibility rule is temporary or permanent. If permanent the bottom half of rosters will remain quite transient.

Going forward the more recognizable players will be focused on building their brand and creating goodwill with fan bases. Looking around will hurt their N-I-L revenues.

This transfer chaos is nearing the end… although I don’t know if the immediate eligibility rule is temporary or permanent. If permanent the bottom half of rosters will remain quite transient.
That’s an interesting angle. I agree to a degree, but for a lot of these players NIL is a little short sighted

Reactions: AngryButchJones
That’s an interesting angle. I agree to a degree, but for a lot of these players NIL is a little short sighted

I think that it will be YUGE for the top basketball players. On TV twice a week for 5 months (in the winter when there are fewer entertainment options). One of just 5/10 players on the court. Not hiding their likeness inside of a helmet and football pads. The downside is that it will also be a huge distraction.

The most likely threatening to transfer will be those unhappy with their roles and/or playing time. I have no idea where the above referenced player is in the Bama pecking order.

I think that it will be YUGE for the top basketball players. On TV twice a week for 5 months (in the winter when there are fewer entertainment options). One of just 5/10 players on the court. Not hiding their likeness inside of a helmet and football pads. The downside is that it will also be a huge distraction.

The most likely threatening to transfer will be those unhappy with their roles and/or playing time. I have no idea where the above referenced player is in the Bama pecking order.

Well Shackelford is arguably their best player (at least best returning player, IMO) so I doubt he was leaving because of playing time. He will certainly start next season and get plenty of minutes.

Seems more like Bama might’ve dug up a few convenient NIL deals to woo him back

Maybe they will enter the portal every season to see where the best NIL offers are located? Unless the NIL’s have some type of contractual obligation where the player has to remain on their team or return the NIL monies then each year the fanbase willing to spend the most money can buy the most talented players - annual free agency at the college level.

Well Shackelford is arguably their best player (at least best returning player, IMO) so I doubt he was leaving because of playing time. He will certainly start next season and get plenty of minutes.

A year or two from now a player of his status would never publicly flirt with the transfer portal. NIL is going to be a huge factor though. Big name players not quite ready for the NBA might have little incentive to stick around in the podunk towns like Oxford, Starkville, and (hopefully) Auburn.

UT needs to use NIL to their advantage as Knoxville is a good sized town without a major professional sports franchise to cannibalize the opportunities for appearances and sponsorships. Bama should be in good shape. LSU has New Orleans not too far away. Gainesville and TxAM will be interesting situations. Both are well funded but also have a lot of other professional and college teams in their neighborhoods. Of course how the rules for the whole NIL thing go down will be very impactful. Will a handful of deep pocket donors be able to enrich individual players or will there be some limits and regulation?

Last edited:
Maybe they will enter the portal every season to see where the best NIL offers are located? Unless the NIL’s have some type of contractual obligation where the player has to remain on their team or return the NIL monies then each year the fanbase willing to spend the most money can buy the most talented players - annual free agency at the college level.

Important variables or more nknowns:

Will the NCAA put caps on how much NIL royalties can come from individual sources (can the Haslams funnel unlimited funds to top players to promote their Knoxville Pilot stores?)?

Will transfers ever have to sit out for a year again?

Will businesses with footprints in multiple markets risk losing business in one location by paying for NIL in a rivals area (Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and Auburn for example)?

It is going to be critical for schools to optimize the upcoming NIL free for all.

Important variables or more nknowns:

Will the NCAA put caps on how much NIL royalties can come from individual sources (can the Haslams funnel unlimited funds to top players to promote their Knoxville Pilot stores?)?

Will transfers ever have to sit out for a year again?

Will businesses with footprints in multiple markets risk losing business in one location by paying for NIL in a rivals area (Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and Auburn for example)?

It is going to be critical for schools to optimize the upcoming NIL free for all.

I haven't studied this closely but it seems to me this will become a matter of privately negotiated contracts which can/will contain all kinds of clauses (i.e., whatever the two parties agree to) so I could easily see certain restrictions being enacted by the payor. For example, the payor might want certain guarantees which could actually keep players from transferring as much (e.g., NIL revenue/royalties contingent on player remaining at the school unless entering the NBA draft with penalties and/or a %'age repayment if the player decides on their own to transfer to another school). Also, I do not see how the NCAA will have any basis to limit what is being paid given the comments from the SCOTUS.

VN Store

Back