Transfer Portal 21-22

We've talked a lot on this board about coaches who recruit over players on their roster, but I've never seen that as a bad thing. If the coach was happy with who they had, there would be no need to recruit potentially better players...either from successive classes or the portal. Duke it out in practice, and may the cream rise to the top. Yes, there will be players who feel like they're better off at another program if they can't win the minutes, but that's the reality. All the teams with loaded rosters deal with this, and now that Tennessee has filled their roster with some pretty impressive talent, the same will happen to them. But at the end of the day, Kellie will play her best players...as she should...and I for one am thrilled that for the first time, she has that option to put five players on the floor that can go toe to toe with the likes of a stacked SC or UConn team.
I really would not call this being recruited over. Being recruited over is bringing in a freshman to beat out a sophomore. Bringing in a one year Senior to the same position as a sophomore is just adding experience and more developed skills which will help said sophomore’s development. Everyone of our much beloved Sophomores will be better players as juniors with the addition of these seniors this year. They will also hopefully get to experience a final four before the responsibility for reaching a ff falls solely on them.

I don't think that Kellie just went out and grabbed a bunch of players for the sake of just signing them. I'm quite sure that She and her Staff already explained to these new players as well as the returnees what her expectations are for next season for each of them. As a player, it would be pretty foolish to commit to come here thinking that they are going to play 35 minutes per game with an Already Stacked Roster.

This past season, Jessie played less minutes than Emily, but chose to stay. Edie chose to come here as a walkon.

I'm not worried about players pouting because of not getting as many minutes as they want. Rickea Jackson was the leading scorer in All of the SEC and Still chose to enter the portal before the season ended. Undoubtedly, she was looking for something other than Big minutes. She could have gone anywhere else and been a Superstar playing as much as she wanted.

The chemistry and culture of this team has been established and they've repeatedly stated that the team comes first. I don't think Kellie wants to deviate from that.
ALSKI 🧡

West Virginia transfer Esmery Martinez (6-2 SR forward, Hato Mayor Del Ray, Dominican Republic) now headed to Arizona; LSU had announced her addition 10 days ago; 2021-22 stats: 11.3 PPG, 8.8 RPG; second-team All–Big 12

That’s really strange. Would be interested to know what went on there.

I wouldn’t trust Adia Barnes as far as I could throw her. Seems fishy to me.

Only thing I can think of is she was either poached by the AZ staff and promised something. Or immediately pissed off Kim somehow and was asked to leave. Could also be academic if her credits didn’t transfer well to LSU or something.

Possibly Kim wanted her then realized she gained more interest from Angel reese and offered her a visit afterwards and that rubbed esmery the wrong way ?

Could very well be. I’m also thinking Kim may have asked her to leave for some reason. Wouldn’t be the first time. If you don’t want to play by her rules you can GTFO.

I think choosing AZ is stupid for Martinez though. They’re gonna have a rough season IMO.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Could very well be. I’m also thinking Kim may have asked her to leave for some reason. Wouldn’t be the first time. If you don’t want to play by her rules you can GTFO.

I think choosing AZ is stupid for Martinez though. They’re gonna have a rough season IMO.
Ask a player to leave that has not even arrived yet lol that would be an all time Low for Mulkeys jacket ROFL

True ? Could it be that Angel Reese is headed to LSU ?
If she does i wont be afraid of LSU she's not that impactful to take them to the top always said they need 1 more big time player outside of Alexis and Angel if they paired up. Im thinking Angel is headed to baylor. Play for the former WNBA coach and raise her stock thats CNC's sales pitch to recruits and the portal players. Want to make it to the WNBA ? Come here il get you there i use to coach there although i suck at college coaching lol

True ? Could it be that Angel Reese is headed to LSU ?

Definitely a thought I was thinking she might go there. I’m surprised that would deter Martinez so much she would choose a different school though. It’s not like they couldn’t see the floor together. Especially since Reese is hoping to play more perimeter oriented 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Definitely a thought I was thinking she might go there. I’m surprised that would deter Martinez so much she would choose a different school though. It’s not like they couldn’t see the floor together. Especially since Reese is hoping to play more perimeter oriented 🤷🏼‍♂️
They may have history who knows ?

How can she ask her to leave when she isn’t even on campus yet! I think the kid probably got a better NIL deal, I rather live in AZ than LA

Highly doubt that.

And again, I wouldn’t be shocked if it were Kim who pulled the plug. Martinez has locked or deactivated her social media. That indicates to me that she isn’t going to disclose why she switched and that it was probably not by choice.

Otherwise I’m sure she’d leave everything up an post and explanation like most of them.

Also don’t believe for a second AZ would have a better NIL offer than LSU. AZ is a sinking ship if you ask me. Mass transfer, lots of graduations a coach who seems permanently disgruntled by everything….not a culture does that make. She let that one FF go right to her head.

Last edited:
Highly doubt that.

And again, I wouldn’t be shocked if it were Kim who pulled the plug. Martinez had locked or deactivated her social media. That indicates to me that she isn’t going to disclose why she switched and they it was probably not by choice.

Otherwise I’m sure she’d leave everything up and post and explanation like most of them.
What quite interesting about this was as of yesterday, LSU still had the announcement on their WBB home page for Esmery joining the team.

It's a shame...I really like her game and was looking forward to seeing her play more.

What quite interesting about this was as of yesterday, LSU still had the announcement on their WBB home page for Esmery joining the team.

It's a shame...I really like her game and was looking forward to seeing her play more.

All just seems really shady. Really not caring for the way Adia Barnes goes about things. She’s right up there with Brenda in terms of questionable recruiters and over promising on things she can’t deliver IMO.

Kids aren’t blind. If she has another season like last year that’ll be the beginning of the end for her. Will become very difficult to recruit if she mishandles a bunch of good players again this season.

I find Arizona to be one of those intriguing teams, and you could be right about them struggling. They have an interesting mix of a few solid returnees, good transfers with Martinez and Fields (I really like both), and they have a really good freshman class coming in. Will be interesting to see how that works for Barnes and Arizona. I don't think she managed the transfers or roster very well last year.

An interesting aspect of the LSU situation is that I think they were completely at their 15 scholly limit so Martinez leaving would allow for Reese to join them. They couldn't have both.🤔

I don’t think they were at their limit. They had another player enter the portal the other day as well. Maybe two? The one I can think of for sure wouldn’t have played so made sense for her to go somewhere else.

Reactions: LV renaissance

See……stuff like this has my eyebrows raised when talking about AZ. What a crappy culture right now this is their 8th transfer. She totally wasted a bunch of transfers time last season and will likely do the same this year.

Chavez just got recruited over again and she’s a pretty tough player. She’ll now have to sit a year very likely as she missed the deadline to transfer without penalty unless she submitted her stuff to NCAA before May 1.

Reactions: LV renaissance
See……stuff like this has my eyebrows raised when talking about AZ. What a crappy culture right now this is their 8th transfer. She totally wasted a bunch of transfers time last season and will likely do the same this year.

Chavez just got recruited over again and she’s a pretty tough player. She’ll now have to sit a year very likely as she missed the deadline to transfer without penalty unless she submitted her stuff to NCAA before May 1.
Thought those rules don’t apply to graduate transfers?

Thought those rules don’t apply to graduate transfers?

Ah, yes, maybe that’s the case. Thanks!! Didn’t notice she was in there as a grad xfer

Still sad for her IMO. She looked like she had a lot of fire to her game as a freshman at Oregon but the wind has slowly gone out of her sails. I had hoped she would consider UT when she transferred before, thought she was a the kind of player Kellie would love.

If she wants to play lot AZ State or MO State would be good destinations.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back