Transfer Portal 21-22

Martinez. Jones, Hollingshed, Kyle. That’s my wish list in that order.

Hollingshed has a ton of upside and 3 years of eligibility which is enticing. I do think if she was going to follow Joni that would already have happened. I know we were one of her final schools and I think it ultimately came down to us or UGA but don’t know for certain.

Jones has PAC-12 experience and 3 years as well though. She’s got two +COVID year…

If we were to land two of any of those players I would be confident saying there is little difference between our roster and South Carolina’s.
Yes any of those two puts us in the top four easy in the country and certainly rivals what SC has as well.

Reactions: krichunaka
Martinez. Jones, Hollingshed, Kyle. That’s my wish list in that order.

Hollingshed has a ton of upside and 3 years of eligibility which is enticing. I do think if she was going to follow Joni that would already have happened. I know we were one of her final schools and I think it ultimately came down to us or UGA but don’t know for certain.

Jones has PAC-12 experience and 3 years as well though. She’s got two +COVID year…

If we were to land two of any of those players I would be confident saying there is little difference between our roster and South Carolina’s.
We need to take two of them also if we can get them. Say you got Jones and Kyle then your worries are over for 2023 as they would both be returning. Probably same for Martinez as well she has two years if she wants them.

Reactions: VolBall09
Del Rosario is our number one target and also SC's number one target. Cody Essence committed to Alabama. Collier committed to NC State. The only other one I know about is Doumbouya and what I saw on video wasn't to impressed with her. So if we don't get Del Rosario I don't think we have another great prospect that I know about. I think what the coaches may be thinking is bring in two post players with at least two years eligibility left to move that position on to 2024. There may be a post I don't know about for 2023 right now I'd say it looks really bleak for that position in the 2023 class. I'm hoping we can get two solid posts out of the portal with eligibility beyond next season. Other players for 2023 if we could get Booker and Samuels that would relieve somewhat the losses of Horston and Jackson for 2023.
I don't know that it is a done deal that Jackson, Horston, or key will leave after 2023.....They will all have an extra year of eligibility and if NIL is putting money in their pocket while school is being paid for it is a possibility that we have extra players who can use their covid eligibility, they may use it. The 2024 class or Tess's class will be the last with that extra eligibility year. Powell has already stated she will be staying 2 years. Although the other 3 are projected top 10 draft picks the opportunity for more education may still be appealing to them. This is a smart, educationally committed bunch of young ladies...

Last edited:
You guarantee it? I never said SC didn’t contact her. Nobody said she wasn’t a great player. She is. My Response was to the comment, out of the blue, that SC could have your leftovers. Tennessee’s needs are different than SC. I know how Dawn runs her team. She’s got 4 starters back from a National Championship team. The last thing she wants to do is mess with the chemistry on it and Rickea wasn’t going to come in and play backup. We got who we needed. An experienced guard that can come in and back up the point, who plays great defense, and who can run it until Raven can.

It will be fun next year. SC and Tennessee should be 1 - 2. With all the coaching changes I really don’t know who else could contend but I’m sure some team will surprise everybody.
I never accused you of saying anything I just made my response off what I think the situation was like nothing more nothing less. I made no comment about how you thought that's not my style if you don't write it I want imply you thought it

I don't know that it is a done deal that Jackson, Horston, or key will leave after 2023.....They will all have an extra year of eligibility and if NIL is putting money in their pocket while school is being paid for it is a possibility that we have extra players who can use their covid eligibility, they may use it. The 2024 class or Tess's class will be the last with that extra eligibility year. Powell has already stated she will be staying 2 years. Although the other 3 are projected top 10 draft picks the opportunity for more education may still be appealing to them. This is a smart, educationally committed bunch of young ladies...
You certainly don't want to play it like they are staying. I would say right now it is like a 95 percent chance that all three leave because they will all likely be first rounders. It would be wishful thinking if you were not thinking ahead and getting players that could close the gap of those losses in 2023.

Translation: "I just saved my job for another year, until next year when there will be another mass exodus and I'll have to save my a$$ again via the transfer portal."

Or mid season. These days coaches have to play a different game. Some of them are finding out the hard way. Brenda is just lucky they waited until after the season.

They had a really rough stretch in the middle of the season. You could tell they weren’t having any fun. Unless they make a window for the portal I think we will start to see players popping in there mid season and screwing coaches.

Saw a few players sorta do that last season. Not necessarily to screw their coach, but both Jackson and Briggs were major parts of their team that opted to transfer during the season.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Is the deadline for portal players to verbal commit May 1 to play fall 2022? Do they have to sign by May 1 to play fall 2022?
They must have entered the portal by May 1st to be eligible to play the next season. They can wait until July 1st to sign with a school. They must be signed by July 1st to play the next season.

VN Store

Back