Tony Elliott Appears To Be a Target

The negativity in this thread is why coaches do not want to come to Tennessee. People need to think of the possibilities instead of their prejudices. White has been a great judge of talent and character everywhere he has been. Not like Fulmer. If Elliott can piece together a team of Tee, Graham, Steele, and Garner I think we could become an elite recruiting staff to get this program back on the road quickly. He might also bring some of Dabo's staff thus destroying Clemson's stronghold on recruiting.

I trust White to make the best decision for our program. This could be an outstanding staff.
Please don't go being reasonable and logical on Volnation, that sort of thing gets you reported.

I don't think there will be a trail of rejections like the last time where HC Whomever says I am not interested in the UT job or pulling their name out. AD White is not going to allow that as there will be one offer and then one announcement. That is why the AD White's relationship with Elliott, their reported talk last night, and rumblings of them maybe talking today are strong. Somebody will need to knock him off the pedestal soon or he is the guy.

Saying we can't hire a coordinator because look what happened with Pruitt is stupid. Does that mean we can't hire anyone that's a sitting coach because of Dooley? Do we not buy a car because we bought a Ford once? Everybody's different, unless you've hired NCAA or NFL coaches before and have a record for us to see how's' about we do what DW asked of us? If it's not positive keep it to your self. We JUST hired the number 4 AD in the country according to some and we believe we are smarter than him? Really? Let's not make him regret taking the job for at least a year OK?

Saying we can't hire a coordinator because look what happened with Pruitt is stupid. Does that mean we can't hire anyone that's a sitting coach because of Dooley? Do we not buy a car because we bought a Ford once? Everybody's different, unless you've hired NCAA or NFL coaches before and have a record for us to see how's' about we do what DW asked of us? If it's not positive keep it to your self. We JUST hired the number 4 AD in the country according to some and we believe we are smarter than him? Really? Let's not make him regret taking the job for at least a year OK?[/QUOTE

I agree with you except in this case, why would you potentially tarnish a guys coaching resume with looming sanctions, right now the university needs a proven head coach that knows how to deal with us crazy fans, sanctions, deduction of scholarships and a lot of pressure from boosters and dept to turn this around pretty quick

Saying we can't hire a coordinator because look what happened with Pruitt is stupid. Does that mean we can't hire anyone that's a sitting coach because of Dooley? Do we not buy a car because we bought a Ford once? Everybody's different, unless you've hired NCAA or NFL coaches before and have a record for us to see how's' about we do what DW asked of us? If it's not positive keep it to your self. We JUST hired the number 4 AD in the country according to some and we believe we are smarter than him? Really? Let's not make him regret taking the job for at least a year OK?

I think hiring the right person isn't as much about previous positions as much as it is about wanting true change. The only proven Head Coach we have hired since Bowden Wyatt is Johnny Majors, you could argue Butch as well but at smaller schools. I just think everyone would like to see what a proven coach could do with the amenities UT has to offer and not pay big money on another experiment.

Elliot strikes me as an underwhelming hire. Might do great but a huge risk. That said if we knew how many we struck out with first he might be more palatable to the fans. I mean if it’s Sonny Dykes or Elliott I’ll take the latter.

Campbell is a pipe dream. He could have taken the Texas job if he wanted it. No way he’s coming here. He can pretty much pick any job he wants now. We aren’t even on his radar.

Definitely not a "pipe dream". Not saying he'll come here, but a lot of good coaches make decisions on a variety of factors and the AD is a very big one. Not very different from how top recruits care about who the coach is.

But it's not as simple as 'Texas is the best program, therefore he won't come here!' He might leave I State eventually, but it's going to be for the right situation, just like Chris Petersen passed on multiple top-tier jobs before accepting the Washington job.

I feel much more optimistic about getting a top-tier coach like that now that we have a great AD. It makes a huge difference on who's willing to take the job.

Reactions: VolnJC
What was Texas offering him, most kniw Texas is 100 times worst than our fan base, could be he’s wanting to coach here

Can you think of something Texas fan base did that is crazier than Volnation firing a new coach before he even landed in Knoxville (it was the correct move by Volnation by the way). :cool:

Reactions: Perspective
"His offenses have been elite."

Christ on a cracker, why is this so hard to understand? His offenses are elite because his players are elite and he coaches in a horseshit conference where Clemson has very little competition. That will NOT translate here! I would much rather hire a coach where...

A.) He's already had experience as a head coach.

and...

B.) He's had to do a lot with a little. I want a coach who's had success by coaching up lesser talented players and getting them to overachieve because that's what we'll be facing over the next 3 years or so.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan

Christ on a cracker, why is this so hard to understand? His offenses are elite because his players are elite and he coaches in a horseshit conference where Clemson has very little competition. That will NOT translate here! I would much rather hire a coach where...

and...

B.) He's had to do a lot with a little. I want a coach who's had success by coaching up lesser talented players and getting them to overachieve because that's what we'll be facing over the next 3 years or so.

Have you somehow missed Clemson A) having recruiting classes similar in rank to Tennessee most of the time Dabo has been there. B) Clemson absolutely destroying the SEC, including Alabama, when they play each other.

and...

So, how was that offense holding up against Bama, ND, OU and others over the last 2-3 years.

Sorry, another untested science experiment just like Pruitt. I will turn in my season tickets for the last 35 yrs saving my yearly donation. I can watch losing on TV. Love my Vols but can't get with a unproven choice and repeating the past 4 failures. He will not have a Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence to carry him.

Reactions: loservol
Trusting the new AD as his track record is outstanding at doing this. I don’t think anyone on VN got an interview!

VN Store

Back