Tony Elliott Appears To Be a Target

No, we’re not even sitting at the main table because we won’t pony up enough to play with the high rollers.

Man,
No matter which way White goes, this time (in decades) Plowman/boosters are all other's are in with the $$$

There's no way that White would have came if he was cash strapped

He might go down the wrong road, but surely not because the uppers are still in dysfunction

For once... Kudos to the admin.

I am starting to think if Elliott is the man, he can run a team better than Pruitt. Pruitt knew defense as well as anyone in the game at any level. He didn't know people; couldn't lead.

Elliott does not seem like that man. He knows people. He can lead. He can find talent. His success is only an indicator, but his would be a good face for the University of Tennessee to sit with parents of good sons looking for the right place and situation to play football and leave their marks as men.
If he is chosen, I will back it 100%.
If he is not chosen, I believe he will blow the roof off at some other school very soon.
Elliott has been on staff for 10 years. Is it possible he’s part of the reason for Dabo’s success?

We can recruit here, regardless of who is the coach. We can attract good assistants, regardless of our record.
Perhaps Elliott has great skills in communication and organization, and white can help him where he lacks experience.

Look at the last 3 failed coaches. They were arrogant and ignorant. They were insecure and didn’t want to hire good assistants, or didn’t trust them to do their jobs. Personality and ability to push players to greater heights is more of our problem than x/o’s or recruiting.

I’m keeping an open mind about anyone White selects.

Last edited:
Elliot is pretty far down the list for me. I would prefer a HC that has done this for awhile. Of course, Elliot could be the best candidate that is truly interested in taking the job, so who knows.

Reactions: Raebo
Elliot wouldn’t be my top choice, but I would be good with it. Think he will do well wherever he ends up in the future.
I think he needs opportunity to be HCIW, and in this case here he can learn the ropes and when giving the reigns we will gain stability jmo

again what is he’s the best we can get. Freeze ain’t coming with his past and maybe Elliott would be better running a large program like TN than chadwell. Personally I’d rather have chadwell but I’m willing to see what happens
Rather have the proven AP head coach of the year. Wouldn't you?

I think he needs opportunity to be HCIW, and in this case here he can learn the ropes and when giving the reigns we will gain stability jmo
Ok, but since you also threw up frost in another thread why not stay at Clemson for basically the same gig? It makes zero sense.

Hogwash. We just made White the highest paid AD in the SEC and the 4th highest in the entire country. In 2017, we reportedly offered Gundy a 6 year deal worth 42 mil. That's 7 mil per. That would have made him the 6th highest paid coach in the country in 2020 had he accepted....and he rejected us TWICE! We aimed big IMO. This crap about UT being cheap is total BS. Fans don't want to hear it, but UT isn't the "plum" job most of our deluded fans seem to think it is. Not every coach and their family want to live in the hills of east tennessee. Not every coach wants to take on a job with a program being led by people who are back biters and clueless about how an athletic department SHOULD be run. You can't just throw money at these coaches anymore. They're all making damned good money. They're no longer willing to "compromise" for the big payday. Now it's more the intangibles and support than the money. They're more than willing to wait for that ideal situation to open up. Folks need to quit being lazy by using this "going cheap" excuse and recognize the situation for what it is.
Good coaches have turned us down because of the AD and general administration. That is about to change. It’s going to be a full on culture change. We need winners like White to change everything. It may take 3-4 years before we flush out the players that are OK with losing and half assing things. This is a test of our patience but White could be our AD for 20 years. Give him time.

Reactions: BIGAL27
Hogwash. We just made White the highest paid AD in the SEC and the 4th highest in the entire country. In 2017, we reportedly offered Gundy a 6 year deal worth 42 mil. That's 7 mil per. That would have made him the 6th highest paid coach in the country in 2020 had he accepted....and he rejected us TWICE! We aimed big IMO. This crap about UT being cheap is total BS. Fans don't want to hear it, but UT isn't the "plum" job most of our deluded fans seem to think it is. Not every coach and their family want to live in the hills of east tennessee. Not every coach wants to take on a job with a program being led by people who are back biters and clueless about how an athletic department SHOULD be run. You can't just throw money at these coaches anymore. They're all making damned good money. They're no longer willing to "compromise" for the big payday. Now it's more the intangibles and support than the money. They're more than willing to wait for that ideal situation to open up. Folks need to quit being lazy by using this "going cheap" excuse and recognize the situation for what it is.
Uh, that’s been all of like 2 days? That doesn’t change our seat at the table... yet. I don’t care what was “reportedly” offered Gundy. The proof is in the pudding. We’ll see who he hires but for the last decade we’ve been fishing in the bargain bin. UT isn’t a “plum” job because we hire ****** coaches who run the program into the ground. Even more reason that it will take ponying up the big bucks to get a good coach here.

Reactions: loservol
Good coaches have turned us down because of the AD and general administration. That is about to change. It’s going to be a full on culture change. We need winners like White to change everything. It may take 3-4 years before we flush out the players that are OK with losing and half assing things. This is a test of our patience but White could be our AD for 20 years. Give him time.
You sir are absolutely correct, they want to work for him they didn't want to work for Fulmer

I am starting to think if Elliott is the man, he can run a team better than Pruitt. Pruitt knew defense as well as anyone in the game at any level. He didn't know people; couldn't lead.

Elliott does not seem like that man. He knows people. He can lead. He can find talent. His success is only an indicator, but his would be a good face for the University of Tennessee to sit with parents of good sons looking for the right place and situation to play football and leave their marks as men.
If he is chosen, I will back it 100%.
If he is not chosen, I believe he will blow the roof off at some other school very soon.
Agreed. Pruitt had red flags we ignored. Now find someone that has a bad word to say about Elliott. He has built relationships with his players and with coaches on the recruiting trail. Having a strong, successful African American coach could be a huge plus for our program.

If money was right.....tell me if the money was right you wouldn’t take it?
Probably not, if I’m already a multi millionaire then money becomes less and less of a motivation factor. It’s more of where I could go and have the best success and compete for Championships.

VN Store

Back