Tony Elliott Appears To Be a Target

Whoever we get then I will support. Vols fans need to give the AD and coach time to turn things around, and it will be longer than three yrs.

I didn’t realize how damning fans can be posting negative crap on social media. White made a comment about Volnation coming together and “texting a friend” vs posting on social media.

I’m optimistic and hope this fan base gives the new coach a chance and a few yrs to turn things around as our roster will not be comparable to the big three in the SEC beyond

Reactions: Raebo
Rats that kills it. A to Z sports says they don't think it is Matt Campbell. They also say that Tony Elliott is only a name tossed out by an agent. Well at least Doug Mathews will have something interesting to say in the morning.

Whoever we get then I will support. Vols fans need to give the AD and coach time to turn things around, and it will be longer than three yrs.

I didn’t realize how damning fans can be posting negative crap on social media. White made a comment about Volnation coming together and “texting a friend” vs posting on social media.

I’m optimistic and hope this fan base gives the new coach a chance and a few yrs to turn things around as our roster will not be comparable to the big three in the SEC beyond
We have been burnt with bad hire after bad hire. Hope is nowhere to be found.

In a decade of total ignorance, Tony would be wise to stay at Clemson just as UT would be wise to hire a proven head coach.
So you don’t like or trust the home run AD we just hired? I’m curious did you interview for the AD job because it sounds like you have all the answers and know best!

Rats that kills it. A to Z sports says they don't think it is Matt Campbell. They also say that Tony Elliott is only a name tossed out by an agent. Well at least Doug Mathews will have something interesting to say in the morning.
Yes, Pruitt is doing a fine job and Phillip thinks he is going to be a star.

Reactions: knox73
He wisely doesn't place an AD on a pedestal.
Why is choosing to trust in the AD until that individual, not his/her predecessors, prove they can’t be trusted considered putting them on a pedestal? You’re just flippantly sticking the sins of others on to this guy after 1 day on the job.

So Campbell is a midwestern guy who isn’t really interested in coaching in the south, yet he still interviewed for the UT job three years ago.
I’ve yet to see anything substantial on him interviewing three years ago, but a lot has changed.

Three years ago he had a lot more risk in staying at Iowa St. Perhaps he had some interest in cashing in on what he could get. Now he has way better opportunities, which he’s turned down. He can wait and be selective. He’ll also have a top team next year. Meanwhile Tennessee has become an even bigger has-been, now with pending sanctions.

Every known aspect suggests he’s never been interested in this type of job, and it’s getting more and more improbable he ever will

Feldman tweeted on it and I am pretty sure that Stoerner posted that C.Low and Feldman are the preferred media conduits for UTAD. We'll see.

Last edited:
A refreshing thing about Elliot. He's highly intelligent. He has a degree in industrial engineering and has a team high GPA getting it. That's polar opposite territory with Professor Asparagus we just got rid of.
Pruitt was a glorified gym teacher.

I could show you the text message from Wednesday that says it’s Danny White...but I won’t, because he’d never trust me again.
But again...point taken. You are probably right.

Well let's stop and think about it. I have been named the CEO of a fortune 500 company in Knoxville - tasked with the most important project of my life - and one that makes or breaks the success of the fortune 500 company over the next 10 years and my exact plans I am going to share with ......
your sportscaster buddy who I have known for two days ??? Does the board of directors require that I let the media know my every thought or move - ummm probably not. Is the Clemson OC a potential candidate -well yes. Is he the front runner .... well no. If you are interviewing and vetting potential hires - you don't have a favorite. You have 10 favorites and you do your interviewing and vetting and once that is complete and someone has been offered and accepted and signed - then you have "A" favorite for the position. Fulmer or Anderson may have had a favorite that they shared with your buddy ( Pruitt ) ( Dooley ) but it shouldn't happen and for my money hasn't happened with this AD....

I'm sure Elliot is a fine man. Probably a good coach. But I just think about another Clemson OC who was probably, no definitely, was the worst head coach Arkansas has had. Chad Morris was horrific and IIRC didn't win an SEC game (i could be wrong about that). I guess I'm like 95% of our fan base and still want a solid, proven head coach. Its going to take some management gymnastics to weave through this labyrinth of Vols football. Hiring an OC or DC for that matter scares me. May be our only choice however.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Elliot is a fine coach, alot of people set themselves up for disappointment bringing up names that aren't going to happen then once a good coach has been hired they want to revolt which is dumb as dirt, people are happy with the ad hire but think they know more...honestly when the "revolt" happened the fans opinion meant nothing. Public figures was saying because of the PSU scandal while most fans did it because they didn't like the hire and used the scandal as a reason.

I’ve yet to see anything substantial on him interviewing three years ago, but a lot has changed.

Three years ago he had a lot more risk in staying at Iowa St. Perhaps he had some interest in cashing in on what he could get. Now he has way better opportunities, which he’s turned down. He can wait and be selective. He’ll also have a top team next year. Meanwhile Tennessee has become an even bigger has-been, now with pending sanctions.

Every known aspect suggests he’s never been interested in this type of job, and it’s getting more and more improbable he ever will

Campbell is a pipe dream. He could have taken the Texas job if he wanted it. No way he’s coming here. He can pretty much pick any job he wants now. We aren’t even on his radar.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Campbell is a pipe dream. He could have taken the Texas job if he wanted it. No way he’s coming here. He can pretty much pick any job he wants now. We aren’t even on his radar.
Maybe he isn’t interested in Texas. Maybe he didn’t want to make an in-conference move where he’d have to coach against his former players. And btw, the Texas job is great, but there’s a lot of issues there that turn a lot of coaches off. Like the Longhorn network and the boosters who text the coach suggesting play calls.

You’re likely correct.
But the flipside is he’s turned down jobs better than Iowa St before too. Even in 2015 he picked Iowa St over other options. No agent. He’s different. It’s not as simple as saying since he turned down jobs better than Tennessee, he’s not interested in Tennessee.

What was Texas offering him, most kniw Texas is 100 times worst than our fan base, could be he’s wanting to coach here

VN Store

Back