Tony B. On why Tennessee won't be active in transfer portal

I read in a column which was which was posted within the last 10 days, but did not keep the site.

I'm skeptical that was accurate. Seems many cannot validate that to be accurate. It might end up that way because they are not saying it will not be the 85 as well. They just don't know.

I was told yesterday to not expect any Tennessee statements regarding penalties until the NCAA issues a ruling on the investigation and no one has any idea when that might be. UT will just continue to impose penalties without comment.

Bottom line, nothing is set in stone at this point.

Has Sankey weighed in any further on this? I heard he had urged the NCAA to expedite the process a while back but I haven’t heard anything since then from the conference.

I'm with you. Have not heard any further from the conference. Sankey has ben hammering the NCAA for over year on the slow progress for investigations. Of course, the NCAA has not begun anything yet other than a review of Tennessee findings. They participated with UT but not from an investigative standpoint, observing and listening.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Earth to UT Admin:

WAKE THE F UP.

Circumvent the scholarship reductions by directing players to NIL money via Spyre or another boosters organization instead. If our boosters can't spot 10 scholarship equivalents ($500Kish), then we have no business even thinking about being relevant again.

This ain't rocket science boys. You're getting schooled by Texas who just stole our WR commit. Or go the Clemson route and pretend NIL and the Portal is a figment of our imagination.

One route leads to us being relevant again, the other down the Dooley hole.

You are certainly generous with other people's money.

Don't worry about it because Gruden is coming to the rescue and we will go undefeated for the next 10 years.

LMAO

Oh it never gets old seeing guys on here getting riled up over a handle that started as a joke in the height of Grudenmania.

You really zinged me on that one. You win the interwebz today.

Reactions: igotworms
“Tennessee Is Self Mandating Scholarship Reductions … How they’ve gotten there is by aging out those that have left and encouraging others to hit the portal. I hear Tennessee has hovered around a number in the low 70’s dating back to the beginning of each semester. The first day of classes Tennessee must be at their desired scholarship number. I hear the number is somewhere between 72-74 which will leave Tennessee locked out of the transfer market as they’re already at their number as you read this.
“The only way Tennessee could add a player like Trelon Smith is to either cut an existing player from their roster and thus send someone into the portal or encourage an early enrollee freshman to not enroll until May.”
UT was at 85 scholarships up until a week ago when 4 players transferred out. I still show them at 81 scholarship players. Where are you getting this 72-74 number?

Whole thing stinks. White put into Hoople’s contract that he will get extra years if there are scholarship limits. The assumption was that it would be NCAA imposed not self imposed. This is gonna wind up costing another five or six million on the buyout in a couple of years.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I vote to throw Phil Fulmer into the NCAA volcano. My hunch is that will satisfy the Gods and all will be good going forward. Besides stating that we will no longer employee Fulmer, Pruitt, or Pearl. I would not self-punish ourselves any further.

What is the point of punishing someone who loses six games per year. That would be like assigning an F to a kid who scored a grade of 52 while cheating.

Not really. Get this out of the way now and the NCAA looking at us goes away. This is smart.
I understand the posters saying ignore it but we aren’t in a position to do so. When you are irrevevant for 10+ years, you have to get the NCAA off of you to stop the negative recruiting for NIL or basic recruiting to work.

Also our admin would be spineless either way.

Gonna have to pass on that lol. I would never quote Tony, Jimmy Hyams, etc... Their track record leaves a lot to be desired.

So who is your source that Bassilio's numbers are wrong? Hyams reported similar numbers. Show us the right information.

So who is your source that Bassilio's numbers are wrong? Hyams reported similar numbers. Show us the right information.
I just looked at UT's roster. Obviously there are about 15 players that shouldn't be on this list according to Basillio and Hyams. When they reported this I showed UT at 86 players. There has been at least 6 enter the transfer portal (with the latest being Akporoghene). Still leaves about 80 yet people here are saying UT is self imposing scholarship limits (which doesnt seem to be the case at all). So I ask you who are the 15 on my list that shouldnt be here? Like I said I showed 86 (I removed Calbert. Coby, Marley, Beckwith, and Neyor).

QUARTERBACKS
Hendon Hooker Sr
Joe Milton Sr
Tayven Jackson Fr

RUNNING BACKS
Jabari Small Jr
Jaylen Wright So
Len'Neth Whitehead So
Dylan Sampson Fr
Justin Wiiliams Fr

WIDE RECEIVERS
Cedric Tillman Sr
Ramel Keyton Sr
Jimmy Holiday Jr
Jalin Hyatt Jr
Jimmy Calloway So
Walker Merrill So
Cameron Miller Fr
Charles Nimrod Fr
Kaleb Webb Fr
Marquarius White Fr

TIGHT ENDS
Jacob Warren Sr
Princeton Fant Sr
Julian Nixon Fr
Miles Campbell Fr

OFFENSIVE LINE
Ollis Lane Sr
Darnell Wright Sr
Jerome Carvin Sr
Jeremiah Crawford Sr
Kingston Harris Sr
Dayne Davis Jr
Cooper Mays Jr
Javontez Spraggins Jr
Chris Akporoghene Jr
Jackson Lampley Jr
Gerald Mincey So
Reginald Perry So
James Robinson So
William Parker Fr
Mo Clipper, Jr Fr
Brian Grant Fr
Addison Nichols Fr
Masai Reddick Fr

DEFENSIVE LINE
LaTrell Bumphus Sr
Aubrey Soloman Sr
Kurott Garland Sr
Omari Thomas Jr
Elijah Simmons Jr
Da'jon Terry Jr
Dominic Bailey So
Amari McNeill Fr
Joshua Josephs Fr
James Pearce Fr
Jordan Phillips Fr
Tyre West Fr

DEFENSIVE LINE/LINEBACKER
Byron Young Sr
Roman Harrison Sr
Tyler Baron Jr

LINEBACKERS
Jeremy Banks Sr
Aaron Beasley Sr
Juwan Mitchell Sr
Solon Page III Sr
Kwauze Garland Jr
Aaron Willis So
William Mohan So
Bryson Eason So
Elijah Herring Fr
Kalib Perry Fr

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Trevon Flowers Sr
Warren Burrell Sr
Jaylen McCollough Sr
Cheyenne Labruzza Sr
Doneiko Slaughter Jr
Tamarion McDonald Jr
Kamal Hadden Jr
Tyus Fields Jr
Brandon Turnage Jr
Desmond Willams Jr
Christian Charles So
De'Shawn Rucker So
Christian Harrison Fr
Jourdan Thomas Fr

KICKER
Chase McGrath Sr

PUNTER
Paxton Brooks Sr

Whole thing stinks. White put into Hoople’s contract that he will get extra years if there are scholarship limits. The assumption was that it would be NCAA imposed not self imposed. This is gonna wind up costing another five or six million on the buyout in a couple of years.
There’s no chance at all of Heupel being fired in two years unless he does something for cause. And the contract clearly stated the one year extension would be triggered by either an NCAA or self-imposed scholarship reduction or bowl ban.

James Pearce & Christian Harrison are not enrolled and so that wouldn't count, and I also wouldn't be surprised if there were guys listed that are no longer with the team but trying to figure out what is next (Portal, Quit, ETC)

Last edited:
I just looked at UT's roster. Obviously there are about 15 players that shouldn't be on this list according to Basillio and Hyams. When they reported this I showed UT at 86 players. There has been at least 6 enter the transfer portal (with the latest being Akporoghene). Still leaves about 80 yet people here are saying UT is self imposing scholarship limits (which doesnt seem to be the case at all). So I ask you who are the 15 on my list that shouldnt be here? Like I said I showed 86 (I removed Calbert. Coby, Marley, Beckwith, and Neyor).

QUARTERBACKS
Hendon Hooker Sr
Joe Milton Sr
Tayven Jackson Fr

RUNNING BACKS
Jabari Small Jr
Jaylen Wright So
Len'Neth Whitehead So
Dylan Sampson Fr
Justin Wiiliams Fr

WIDE RECEIVERS
Cedric Tillman Sr
Ramel Keyton Sr
Jimmy Holiday Jr
Jalin Hyatt Jr
Jimmy Calloway So
Walker Merrill So
Cameron Miller Fr
Charles Nimrod Fr
Kaleb Webb Fr
Marquarius White Fr

TIGHT ENDS
Jacob Warren Sr
Princeton Fant Sr
Julian Nixon Fr
Miles Campbell Fr

OFFENSIVE LINE
Ollis Lane Sr
Darnell Wright Sr
Jerome Carvin Sr
Jeremiah Crawford Sr
Kingston Harris Sr
Dayne Davis Jr
Cooper Mays Jr
Javontez Spraggins Jr
Chris Akporoghene Jr
Jackson Lampley Jr
Gerald Mincey So
Reginald Perry So
James Robinson So
William Parker Fr
Mo Clipper, Jr Fr
Brian Grant Fr
Addison Nichols Fr
Masai Reddick Fr

DEFENSIVE LINE
LaTrell Bumphus Sr
Aubrey Soloman Sr
Kurott Garland Sr
Omari Thomas Jr
Elijah Simmons Jr
Da'jon Terry Jr
Dominic Bailey So
Amari McNeill Fr
Joshua Josephs Fr
James Pearce Fr
Jordan Phillips Fr
Tyre West Fr

DEFENSIVE LINE/LINEBACKER
Byron Young Sr
Roman Harrison Sr
Tyler Baron Jr

LINEBACKERS
Jeremy Banks Sr
Aaron Beasley Sr
Juwan Mitchell Sr
Solon Page III Sr
Kwauze Garland Jr
Aaron Willis So
William Mohan So
Bryson Eason So
Elijah Herring Fr
Kalib Perry Fr

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Trevon Flowers Sr
Warren Burrell Sr
Jaylen McCollough Sr
Cheyenne Labruzza Sr
Doneiko Slaughter Jr
Tamarion McDonald Jr
Kamal Hadden Jr
Tyus Fields Jr
Brandon Turnage Jr
Desmond Willams Jr
Christian Charles So
De'Shawn Rucker So
Christian Harrison Fr
Jourdan Thomas Fr

KICKER
Chase McGrath Sr

PUNTER
Paxton Brooks Sr
Well for starters, it looks like you have included the entire signing class. They only count against the current 85 if they are enrolled spring semester. Which is what this conversation is all about.

Reactions: skelleher20
These are the class of 22' that enrolled early.....So that would also mean no Dylan Sampson, Joshua Josephs, Masai Reddick, & Kalib Perry are not here so that would remove 6 guys from your list.

Attachments

• IMG_7172.JPG
    IMG_7172.JPG
    559.9 KB · Views: 0
Well for starters, it looks like you have included the entire signing class. They only count against the current 85 if they are enrolled spring semester. Which is what this conversation is all about.
That's not true. Tennessee had 13 early enrollees (which would have put them at 79 before the latest 6 that went into the portal). So still way off from your quote of 70. Are you suggesting that we shouldnt leave a spot for those that don't enroll early? I assumed if you signed the papers you were given a spot. I have to believe most schools count their recruits that sign whether they enroll early or not.
You're suggesting that we don't save a place for those who sign but don't enroll early?

These are the class of 22' that enrolled early.....So that would also mean no Dylan Sampson, Joshua Josephs, Masai Reddick, & Kalib Perry are not here so that would remove 6 guys from your list.
I agree with you. But also remember when they made their quote we had 6 players that hadnt entered the transfer portal yet. So that balances out. I assumed we quit signing because we had reached our limit of 85. Not this unfounded rumor of scholarship reductions. We must leave the players that sign a spot should we not?

That's not true. Tennessee had 13 early enrollees (which would have put them at 79 before the latest 6 that went into the portal). So still way off from your quote of 70. Are you suggesting that we shouldnt leave a spot for those that don't enroll early? I assumed if you signed the papers you were given a spot. I have to believe most schools count their recruits that sign whether they enroll early or not.

You're suggesting that we don't save a place for those who sign but don't enroll early?
No. I'm saying that head count is defined differently than the way you are counting. I'll not quibble about how wrong you are. What you think (or what any of us think) the headcount is doesn't matter to the NCAA or the University.

VN Store

Back