Tony B. On why Tennessee won't be active in transfer portal

volfanhill

“Tennessee Is Self Mandating Scholarship Reductions … How they’ve gotten there is by aging out those that have left and encouraging others to hit the portal. I hear Tennessee has hovered around a number in the low 70’s dating back to the beginning of each semester. The first day of classes Tennessee must be at their desired scholarship number. I hear the number is somewhere between 72-74 which will leave Tennessee locked out of the transfer market as they’re already at their number as you read this.
“The only way Tennessee could add a player like Trelon Smith is to either cut an existing player from their roster and thus send someone into the portal or encourage an early enrollee freshman to not enroll until May.”

So the NCAA is on its deathbed and we're self-imposing punishment as though it were thirty years ago. Brilliant, UT admin, brilliant as always. Your capacity for clownship is unparalleled.
Meanwhile Will Wade is on federal wiretap talking about paying players and LSU told the NCAA to stick it in their ear. Seems like a winning strategy

Earth to UT Admin:

WAKE THE F UP.

Circumvent the scholarship reductions by directing players to NIL money via Spyre or another boosters organization instead. If our boosters can't spot 10 scholarship equivalents ($500Kish), then we have no business even thinking about being relevant again.

This ain't rocket science boys. You're getting schooled by Texas who just stole our WR commit. Or go the Clemson route and pretend NIL and the Portal is a figment of our imagination.

One route leads to us being relevant again, the other down the Dooley hole.

Last edited:
“Tennessee Is Self Mandating Scholarship Reductions … How they’ve gotten there is by aging out those that have left and encouraging others to hit the portal. I hear Tennessee has hovered around a number in the low 70’s dating back to the beginning of each semester. The first day of classes Tennessee must be at their desired scholarship number. I hear the number is somewhere between 72-74 which will leave Tennessee locked out of the transfer market as they’re already at their number as you read this.
“The only way Tennessee could add a player like Trelon Smith is to either cut an existing player from their roster and thus send someone into the portal or encourage an early enrollee freshman to not enroll until May.”
When did UT brass start sharing secrets with Bassilo? Thought that was saved for “The Sports Animal”, lol.

So the NCAA is on its deathbed and we're self-imposing punishment as though it were thirty years ago. Brilliant, UT admin, brilliant as always. Your capacity for clownship is unparalleled.

Yeah keep on dreaming the NCAA is on its deathbed. If you think the NCAA is going away or losing its power you are being dumb. But hey this gives you yet another opportunity to complain and whine.

Earth to UT Admin:

WAKE THE F UP.

Circumvent the scholarship reductions by directing players to NIL money via Spyre or another boosters organization instead. If our boosters can't spot 10 scholarship equivalents ($500Kish), then we have no business even thinking about being relevant again.

This ain't rocket science boys. You're getting schooled by Texas who just stole our WR commit. Or go the Clemson route and pretend NIL and the Portal is a figment of our imagination.

One route leads to us being relevant again, the other down the Dooley hole.
NIL is small beans. Start cutting players checks

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I really doubt this is the case, especially after recent changes to the NCAA constitution. The NCAA ratified a new constitution today that changes the onus of violations to the perps (Pruitt, etc) more than the schools. (note: I am NOT endorsing the corrupt NCAA or any of its rules, just stating fact.)

“ensure to the greatest extent possible that penalties imposed for infractions do not punish programs or student-athletes innocent of the infraction(s).”

I'm not sure if Tony B. was aware of this at broadcast time. Either way. If that were the strategy, I guarantee it has been thrown in to the Jeremy Pruitt dumpster after this change. Go Vols!

The real reason is probably more to do with waiting until after spring camps and seeing our more definitive needs and picking from the available transfers who will bail from schools then. Imposing scholarship reductions, on the scale of 10+ would be quite large compared to others who have dealt with penalties, self or NCAA imposed. Ultimately the next recruiting class will be the most important one, and should show marked improvement with the full wooing cycle and the hopefully 2 years of program success.

Reactions: jackaro and kcvols1
Our administration is stupid. Tell the NCAA to efff off like Auburn and LSU who both cheated biggie did

Reactions: mpfvol
Yeah keep on dreaming the NCAA is on its deathbed. If you think the NCAA is going away or losing its power you are being dumb. But hey this gives you yet another opportunity to complain and whine.
This may come as a shock to you but one or two other people have opined that the NCAA is on its way out. But once again your capacity for fatuous nonsense is endless. Keep posting drivel - you’re the champ at it.

Reactions: m1al and Mr. Lofton

VN Store

Back