Tony B. On why Tennessee won't be active in transfer portal

I guess we will find out soon enough. Either way, gotta coach up the players on the team. There’s athletes there. However, I would be VERY surprised that we wouldn’t have taken more LBs, if the self imposed rumor is true.

Reactions: OneVolNation
The dumbest part of this supposed restriction is the portal transfer numbers are IN ADDITION to regular scholarships. Any players lost last fall, up to seven, can be replaced and NOT count against the 85 limit, so why in the hell would UT NOT find transfers to replace those that already left! If this is true then they are truly a bunch of spineless clowns!

everyone counts on the 85 limit if on any type scholarship. including the 7 transfers

Meanwhile Will Wade is on federal wiretap talking about paying players and LSU told the NCAA to stick it in their ear. Seems like a winning strategy
, LSU and Kansas DID NOT TURN THEMSELVES IN, Not only did Tenn turn themselves in we encouraged the NCAA to snoop around and investigate with us.. kinda like the prosecution sitting in with the defense team while the defense is finding all the facts…
We have a Karen running the show!

Tony might be right or he might be wrong but what I don't see is the deficiencies on the defense be addressed with transfers.

If true, this could be very bad. "portalization" was our only real option to get things fixed on the defensive side. If we are self imposing restrictions to grovel at the feet of the NCAA, we have doomed ourselves to 2 or more years of staying where we are or possibly regressing. I really hung my hat on the fact that CJH was going to bolster that D with portal kids this year. I was already concerned about why we weren't hearing any splashy news about transfers. This would explain the crickets chirping.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
So the NCAA is on its deathbed and we're self-imposing punishment as though it were thirty years ago. Brilliant, UT admin, brilliant as always. Your capacity for clownship is unparalleled.

They sure are the stupidest bunch of morans one could hope to find in such a collective. It’s amazing how bad it is.

Yeah keep on dreaming the NCAA is on its deathbed. If you think the NCAA is going away or losing its power you are being dumb. But hey this gives you yet another opportunity to complain and whine.

I like you don't think the NCAA is going away. BUT I do expect it the morph into a different governing body than we have suffered with in the past. Remember the body is made up of college leaders. I expect they will "farm out their desires" to people better able to deal with adherence to policy. May look a whole more like a board of directors with a management team.

We keep asking those questions because we do not know what type violations were committed. The penalties that Tennessee is taking might be to light when the NCAA completes looking at it. We just don't know. Once we are able to see the report and findings, we would be in better position to question the penalties.

the worse thing would be to allow Heupel to spend 2 years building the program and then have it yanked out from under him due to NCAA sanctions in 2024 or 2025.. perhaps just as they were competitive for the East.

the administration has to weigh all of that knowing what they know and its what we don't know
Reported for reasonableness.

It’s pretty clear the restriction is in effect. Otherwise they’d at least be talking to people & people would be talking to them.
It has to be this or UT just simply not being competitive when it comes to player compensation. One of the two anyways.

Reactions: mpfvol
Oh wow one or two other people? Well that settles it right? The NCAA is completely done in a couple of years. Yes that’s the ticket. Your stupidity knows no bounds. Your constant negativity and idiocy on matters like this show such a lack of common sense is baffling. You are nothing more than a joke. Keep it up.
See if you can follow this: I was using a device called understatement. People with sense and higher than a third-grade reading ability can detect it; obviously you fall into neither of those categories.

Literally everyone else who has responded to my post other than you has liked it or quoted it to agree with it - what does that tell you about your own apprehension of this matter compared to other folks on here, genius? By the way, your sixth sentence above is missing a subject in the second clause, and your entire post is completely devoid of intelligence, as always with you.

I think I'll do us both a favor and move you to my ignore list, because you're definitely not worth any more of my time.

Reactions: onthehill71
Meanwhile Will Wade is on federal wiretap talking about paying players and LSU told the NCAA to stick it in their ear. Seems like a winning strategy

And Pearl had a staff member at Auburn jailed but has gotten off besides a one season suspension of two players who both played the following year. He told the NCAA to stuff it and appears to still be a slimball.

Basically no transfers means no help for that awful defense.

Pruitt and his lawyer are dropping the hammer on UT at any moment and dishing dirt on the entire athletic department.

We keep asking those questions because we do not know what type violations were committed. The penalties that Tennessee is taking might be to light when the NCAA completes looking at it. We just don't know. Once we are able to see the report and findings, we would be in better position to question the penalties.

the worse thing would be to allow Heupel to spend 2 years building the program and then have it yanked out from under him due to NCAA sanctions in 2024 or 2025.. perhaps just as they were competitive for the East.

the administration has to weigh all of that knowing what they know and its what we don't know
Has Sankey weighed in any further on this? I heard he had urged the NCAA to expedite the process a while back but I haven’t heard anything since then from the conference.

plowman is a joke
I mean really Tennessee is a joke for expecting the chancellor to control the football program as well. Plowman could be tremendous on the academic end of things; what the hell does that have to do with running a football program that brings in hundreds of millions though?

Y’all would cry if your damn ice cream was cold. Plowman and the current admin are the reason the AD isn’t currently the dumpster fire it was two years ago or the bumbling incompetent mess it was for ten years before that. As LWS said, we won’t really know how wise or unwise the strategy UT has taken with the investigation is until it’s in the rearview and we have more info. As others have said, it’s entirely possible that this report by Basilio is a lot of smoke.

And one more thing: many of y’all who are crowing about the NCAA being dead and useless are the same ones who love to raise cane about NIL and the transfer portal “ruining college football.” You can’t have it both ways. Be careful what you wish for, because if the NCAA goes away, it’s going to be the wild f***ing west out here. You think it’s bad now? You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Brilliant UT...Absolutely Brilliant!! Instead of seeing what happens to the NCAA, they are managing their own internal scholly sanctions. Why cant UT be more like UNC or LSU, they cheated and smiled at the NCAA

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Y’all would cry if your damn ice cream was cold. Plowman and the current admin are the reason the AD isn’t currently the dumpster fire it was two years ago or the bumbling incompetent mess it was for ten years before that. As LWS said, we won’t really know how wise or unwise the strategy UT has taken with the investigation is until it’s in the rearview and we have more info. As others have said, it’s entirely possible that this report by Basilio is a lot of smoke.

And one more thing: many of y’all who are crowing about the NCAA being dead and useless are the same ones who love to raise cane about NIL and the transfer portal “ruining college football.” You can’t have it both ways. Be careful what you wish for, because if the NCAA goes away, it’s going to be the wild f***ing west out here. You think it’s bad now? You ain’t seen nothing yet.
NCAA, NIL and transfer portal have fubarred college football...UT will be a tier two or three team going forward....

Reactions: AM64 and mpfvol
The three most severe scholarship reductions I could find over the last 40 years were SMU at 55, USC at 30, and Auburn at 13. Taking this into account, it doesn't seem to make sense that Tennessee under any circumstances would self-impose a scholarship reduction of 13.

Perhaps there is some conflation with the shortage of bodies we had this year magically coalescing into a self-imposed penalty. Either way it was a wise thought to wait and see what happens and that it doesn't make sense to question the judgment of anyone when you have no information to go on. Once again the chicken littles are taking some of the fun out of this.

Don’t come in here with that kind of rational talk.

I love it when this board goes ballistic about unverified information. Basilio is well known for throwing stuff against the wall hoping something will stick. If it is true, one must question the logic. If not, just more speculation spewed out to try and get listens and clicks. I will become interested when there is some measure of verification to this information.

So the best time to work on them is after many have signed elsewhere?
There will be more and better players in the portal later in the year, at least after the Spring Semester. In addition, Tennessee does not have much room under the ceiling for players until after the Spring Semester. How quickly some forget that we did self imposed roster limits because of our previous Staff and Administration

Can I ask where you have gotten that information please? I've been trying for the last 2 weeks to get someone to confirm that is the case. so far everyone I've checked with has said they don't know.
I read in a column which was which was posted within the last 10 days, but did not keep the site.

VN Store

Back