Tonight revealed one thing…

One major problem is the running game. When we’ve needed a yard against Pitt or tonight, we hand to a 200 lb running back that isn’t able to break tackles against a stacked line.

And these aren’t SEC defenses. We moved the ball at will against both defenses but couldn’t get the tough yard.

It’s always frustrated me when we go shotgun when all we need is yard. Snapping the ball 6yrds deep then running up the middle just seems stupid to me.

Wow... what a game. Hate that we lost like we did. I don't agree with the final play call. Take the sure three, and make THEM have to score a TD to win. I thought we had Henry back tonite, Over the middle was open all nite . Beasley got beat on every pass play. Banks balled out on D tonite. WE need to find a bruiser RB...badly

You're on to something.
But truthfully that's the amount of time it takes a defense to see and counter what the offense does.
And then we don't throw a new wrinkle at them, so for the whole middle of the game teams begin to get back into the game.

It happened with UF and South Carolina too.
Purdue tonight.

Pitt, Purdue, and Ole Miss should have been wins.
Florida coulr have been.

This defense wasn't deep enough to be constantly put back on the field.

Heupel NEEDS to seriously reevaluate his philosophy. Specifically his views of complementary football.
Yep....so true. we surprise folks to start and then they adjust.

After the first quarter South Carolina outscored us the rest of the way.

Heupel still has a long way to go before he is an elite coach. I like Heupel, and he has done some good things this year, however, he should have never been considered for Coach of the Year.

The final possession of tonight’s game proved my point. Benefit of the doubt - Hooker just forgot that we could actually kick a field goal. No idea what that whole last series during regulation was about.

Should have never went to OT.
Get him a quarterback that can consistently complete open deep balls, and he’s gonna be elite. I’ve never seen another play caller that can create so many open deep shots. He just doesn’t have a quarterback that can connect on them right now. Hooker only reads half the field and is putting up big number. Heupel’s offense will be unstoppable when he gets a quarterback that can use the whole field, and consistently complete wide open deep balls.

All you guys questioning play calling.. Hindsight is 20/20.

I agree with those who said that the primary issue is depth. How many scholarship players were on today’s roster? We were decimated by transfers and dismissals. Look how thin we were at RB, OL, and at every level on defense. This should get better next season and going forward.

My opinion is that this was the most well coached team we’ve seen in a long time. Maybe going all the way back to 2009.

Heupel gets this roster of leftovers to 7-5 and loses a bowl game to an 8-4 team that had 2 better wins than we did and now we discredit him…gotta love it.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
When Tennessee lined up in that power formation I said they better get 2 yds in the end zone at least.

I need someone to be more specific... surprised by this thread. What is it that Heupel did wrong? I thought he called a great game and made all the right decisions 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I need someone to be more specific... surprised by this thread. What is it that Heupel did wrong? I thought he called a great game and made all the right decisions 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 bombs to the end zone from the opponents 40 when 10 yds and a FG would have done the job, not taking timeouts to manage the clock….there’s a start.

Reactions: sona and Frozevol
Your attitude sucks. It goes against everything that is about being part of a team.

This is such a tough call for me.

I agree the team should matter and it screws them hard but I also know players (Miami RB who completely destroyed his knee in a bowl) can get seriously injured on any play.

I can see both sides but for the NFL prospects it is a business.

AND we have had up until tonight however MANY MANY here at VN discuss Heupel needs an extention and we pour a bucket of money on him. After tonight, no, just no. He may end up being what we want long term but after tonight, the jury is still out waaaaaaay out on whether or not he's the long term solution as HC at UT IMO. He was out coached by a country mile by Brohm.
Broom’s best move was to continue running his fullback just to slow down the game. Everyone will do that against us until we have anything that resembles a defense. He also kicked FGs when he could have gone for it and it was the difference.

It’s always frustrated me when we go shotgun when all we need is yard. Snapping the ball 6yrds deep then running up the middle just seems stupid to me.
It’s not just you. On top of that if you just run the same off tackle each time you are going to get stuffed. It’s not a zone read if you keep running it off tackle.

Reactions: Doberman
This is such a tough call for me.

I agree the team should matter and it screws them hard but I also know players (Miami RB who completely destroyed his knee in a bowl) can get seriously injured on any play.

I can see both sides but for the NFL prospects it is a business.
Willis Mcgahee. But he actually rebounded and had a decent NFL career.

2 bombs to the end zone from the opponents 40 when 10 yds and a FG would have done the job, not taking timeouts to manage the clock….there’s a start.
Yeah I don’t have a problem with it. You wouldn’t either if we’d of connected. If we throw a slant and miss the FG there would be ppl in here saying he’s stupid for not taking a shot. Hindsight is always 20/20. A timeout would’ve been nice, but again if we connect nobody is mad.

Without reading the whole thread:

We had receivers open deep all night, but Hooker didn't have a great game.

We were incredibly short in the secondary, and they ate us up.

The officiating was unforgivable, and we just weren't good enough to offset that.

Can't drop easy first downs.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but we had 7 different ways to win this game and the chips just didn't fall.

I don't think the coaching or play calling even crack our top-5 flubs.

Yeah I don’t have a problem with it. You wouldn’t either if we’d of connected. If we throw a slant and miss the FG there would be ppl in here saying he’s stupid for not taking a shot. Hindsight is always 20/20. A timeout would’ve been nice, but again if we connect nobody is mad.

Yep, but we didn’t. Coach played too aggressive and took the lower percentage risks.

Playing for the FG was the right call. He blew it.

VN Store

Back