Tonight revealed one thing…

Heupel still has a long way to go before he is an elite coach. I like Heupel, and he has done some good things this year, however, he should have never been considered for Coach of the Year.

The final possession of tonight’s game proved my point. Benefit of the doubt - Hooker just forgot that we could actually kick a field goal. No idea what that whole last series during regulation was about.

Should have never went to OT.
Heupel made some bone headed decisions but he did enough for this team to win several times over in this game. Plays were there, players have to execute; officials are supposed to do an at least mediocre job. Either of those happen and we win that game.

It revealed a lot of things. Here’s a few:

1. The NCAA needs to do something about blatant faking of “cramps” and other injuries to slow momentum. Purdue did this all night. Hell, on one play the guy went to a knee, signaled his sideline to see if they wanted him to go down, and then flopped like a fish with a “cramp” that the trainers barely bothered to even look at. I don’t think anything will be done about it - so we’ll see that tactic on full display next season too.

2. The Music City Bowl should be fined for having a field in such terrible condition for a game. It was bad.

3. This Tennessee team still needs to learn how to win when it matters. Tonight, in front of a national audience with an 8th win on the line, we found a way to lose. We could have sent a message on a big stage about the upward trajectory of our program. Instead, we blew it again. Some bad calls, true … but should not have been in that position.

4. Milton must have switched jerseys with Hooker. How many wide open receivers running behind their DBs did our QB overthrow tonight?

5. This Tennessee team still makes dumb penalties at the worst time.

6. Our defense needs a lot of work. I didn’t think losing Alontae would suddenly make ALL of our DBs and LBs forget how to cover receivers.

And here we go…..the geniuses are all chiming in! Lol its comical the remarks..u people aren’t on the sidine calling crap. It was a good season, much better rhan many of us thought possible…
Not the point. This post was a criticism of the last series of regulation. You don’t have to be a genius to understand that 1 point more than your opponent wins the game.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Heupel still has a long way to go before he is an elite coach. I like Heupel, and he has done some good things this year, however, he should have never been considered for Coach of the Year.

The final possession of tonight’s game proved my point. Benefit of the doubt - Hooker just forgot that we could actually kick a field goal. No idea what that whole last series during regulation was about.

We could have kicked two FGs that would have won us the game towards the end. He doesn't is the kicking game and he has shown that on a couple of occasions this year. This is the first time we lost by a score that makes it obvious.

Hooker missed passes, coverage was bad, tackling was bad, receivers dropped several passes and we still took it to OT. All while fighting garbage refs.

I hate to lose as much as the next guy, but I'm not taking this one too hard. I still think we are building something. Just need some more players and another year in the system. Can't wait to see what we look like in 22. Go Vols!

because you know what an elite coach is. 😂😂 Instead of giving these kids and our coaches all our support after a great year let’s do what vol nation does best.

You can't be serious......the play calls were to win the game (unlike previous coaches) and they were the correct play calls (hence the open receivers). We just lacked the execution. For once we aren't playing to lose....if one of those connected it would be a different conversation, one about how Heupel is a genius and unafraid.

It was/is meaningless but piss poor coaching is not meaningless.
Why? Doesn't it make sense that piss poor coaching in a meaningless game = meaningless?

I'm pretty sure you were calling it an "exhibition"... or that could have been someone else. I don't remember. Does this forum blow up when bad calls are made in the Orange and White game? Or when bad strategy is implemented? This place did exactly what I thought it would if we lost... treat it just like any other loss.

The reality is that these bowl games aren't truly meaningless. We hold it against the coaching staff when they lose them.

That's my point. End of rant.

Not the point. This post was a criticism of the last series of regulation. You don’t have to be a genius to understand that 1 point more than your opponent wins the game.
…we all know that. Unfortunately your post has led to those “so-intelligent-aecond-guessers” to awake an throw out theie useless criticism for all to see….it was a solid season…I will leave it at that.

Reactions: voldurham
Fans need to turn their energy toward the horrible officiating. Get off the coaches nuts. In his first year with everything that happened in the offseason. With transfers,ncaa alligations he did nothing but Give Tennessee fans an offense that scored more then any ut team in the history of the university and got us at 11 on rivals in recruiting.

You can't be serious......the play calls were to win the game (unlike previous coaches) and they were the correct play calls (hence the open receivers). We just lacked the execution. For once we aren't playing to lose....if one of those connected it would be a different conversation, one about how Heupel is a genius and unafraid.
I’m serious. And, I am not sure what argument you are making with “the play calls were to win the game.” We weren’t behind. We were in control. All we needed to do was drive into FG position and seal the game.

Why? Doesn't it make sense that piss poor coaching in a meaningless game = meaningless?

I'm pretty sure you were calling it an "exhibition"... or that could have been someone else. I don't remember. Does this forum blow up when bad calls are made in the Orange and White game? Or when bad strategy is implemented? This place did exactly what I thought it would if we lost... treat it just like any other loss.

The reality is that these bowl games aren't truly meaningless. We hold it against the coaching staff when they lose them.

That's my point. End of rant.

Look, we all know you’re one of the dullest knives in the drawer.

Yes the bowl game is a meaningless exhibition game for most players. It shouldn’t be be for the coaching staff. I understand why NFL prospects skip these games but for the staff its an opportunity for exposure and tonight our coaching staff pissed the bed.

Fans need to turn their energy toward the horrible officiating. Get off the coaches nuts. In his first year with everything that happened in the offseason. With transfers,ncaa alligations he did nothing but Give Tennessee fans an offense that scored more then any ut team in the history of the university and got us at 11 on rivals in recruiting.
He blew that series. Has nothing to do with what happened this year, NCAA, recruiting next year, etc.

What do you think Heupel was trying to do? Gain 5-10 yards for a long and unlikely field goal (see the end result) or try to get within a makeable distance (for our largely unproven kicker) with the potential to bust a TD.

I’m serious. And, I am not sure what argument you are making with “the play calls were to win the game.” We weren’t behind. We were in control. All we needed to do was drive into FG position and seal the game.
Yep. We just needed to move the runner into scoring position and he has guys up there swinging from their heels.

You don’t win many arguments I’m guessing. Mostly, because you don’t understand them.
You don’t know football I’m guessing. Mostly, because you don’t understand the game of football or you wouldn’t be questioning the play calling of a guy who just broke uts scoring record in his first year.
Oh wait sorry you must be another one of those vol nation posters who’s a national championship coach when he’s sitting on his coach. 😂😂

VN Store

Back