Todd Helton HOF Debate

Has Todd done anything to shame baseball? No.

Therefore, I feel it is not a matter of if he makes the HOF. It is when.

Reactions: ArdentVol
looks good \
like brown ales, but particularly like belgium beers
This is a good one. I generally like the dark stuff- I'm not an IPA/hoppy type of person.
I drink what my wife calls 'weird beer' (not from the big boys). I try to buy from places that make less than Anheuser Busch InBev spills in a year.

List all the first basemen not named Lou Gehrig that had a better career.

Jimmie Foxx (534 HRs), Harmon Killebrew (573 HR's), Willie McCovey (521 HR's), Eddie Murray (504 HR's), Frank Thomas (521 HR's), Jim Thome (612 HR's), Stan Musial (3630 hits) for starters.

Gehrig's stat line is .313 avg, .447 obp, .632 slg, 2721 hits, 493 HR's, 1995 rbi's in 17 years. He compares better to Stan Musial than the sluggers that dominated 1st base in the 60's on.
Musial stat line is .331 avg, .418 obp, .559 slug, 3,630 hits, 475 HR's, 1951 rbi's in 22 years.

Todd Helton's line is .316 avg, .414 obp, .539 slug, 2519 hits, 369 HR's, 1406 rbi's in 17 years.

Freddie Freeman's line is .295 avg, .384 obp, .509 slug, 1704 hits, 271 HR's, 941 rbi's in 12 years. Freddie's got a lot of work to do, but is considered one of the best in the game at this time.

Less than 400 HR's or 3000 hits or 1500 rbi's is going to hurt a first baseman. He's in Dale Murphy land imo. Almost there, but not quite. I like the Don Mattingly reference too. These 3 guys had a peak run that put them among the best in the game but they didn't sustain it over a long career.

Last edited:
No MVPs, only 5 AS appearances, only 2 PS appearances. <400 homers, <3000 hits, <1500 RBIs.

I don't see how he gets in. He's one of my favorite players, but 1B is a hard position to make the HOF due to the history of the position.

I will say, if he played in NY, Boston, LA, or Chicago, he probably would be a first ballot HOFer.

Yankee Stadium is the all time left hand hitters park yet Yankees get in like crazy (and I was a Yankee fan). Holding the location of the ball park isn’t completely fair. Colorado big outfield does take some hits away.

No MVPs, only 5 AS appearances, only 2 PS appearances. <400 homers, <3000 hits, <1500 RBIs.

I don't see how he gets in. He's one of my favorite players, but 1B is a hard position to make the HOF due to the history of the position.

I will say, if he played in NY, Boston, LA, or Chicago, he probably would be a first ballot HOFer.
3 Gold Gloves

His career .855 OPS on the road is better than the overall career marks of first-ballot sluggers like Reggie Jackson and Eddie Murray.

Helton had five seasons with an OPS over 1.000, and four with an OPS+ over 150. He has 61.8 career WAR (17th all-time for 1B) and his 54.2 JAWS is exactly the average for HoF 1B (and yes, JAWS and WAR account for ballpark).

He is one of 33 hitters in the Integration Era (since 1947) to have more walks than strikeouts in a career with at least 9,000 plate appearances. Eighteen of those players are in the Hall of Fame, and Helton is one of only two who played into the 2010s (the other being Hall of Famer Chipper Jones).

Helton's 185 intentional walks are 26th all time, ahead of the tallies of several other iconic sluggers, including Jim Thome (173) and Frank Thomas (168). What's more, 151 of Helton's IBBs came during 2000-07, a span in which he ranked behind only Vladimir Guerrero (194) and Barry Bonds (390 LOL) in that category.

Larry Walker is in (granted OF vs 1B). He has more hits, more RBIs and only slightly less HRs. Similar OBP and SLG.

Last edited:
Reactions: vol66 and ArdentVol

Jeff Bagwell wasn't a first ballot HOF because it looked like he took steroids. No failed tests, just because it looked like he juiced.

David Ortiz was a role player for 6 years, got on the roids, failed a steriod test, and then was hitting 35+ HR into his 40s. He will be the first player with a positive roid test to get into the HOF.

(Personally speaking, Ortiz should be in the HOF but he shouldn't get in over Clemens, Bonds, etc)

VN Store

Back