Today I learned...

Today I learned that something I found to be true of my commute when I lived in Knoxville also applies to my commute now. A 2 minute difference in what time I leave home can translate to a 10-15 minute addition to my commute time. Leaving just a couple minutes before I normally do, or want to really, can make a huge difference.
There is no solution to the afternoon trudge though unless I want to risk unemployment.

Today I learned that something I found to be true of my commute when I lived in Knoxville also applies to my commute now. A 2 minute difference in what time I leave home can translate to a 10-15 minute addition to my commute time. Leaving just a couple minutes before I normally do, or want to really, can make a huge difference.
There is no solution to the afternoon trudge though unless I want to risk unemployment.
Depending on your home situation you may just try leaving work later. My dad goes to the gym. Before I took the train I would walk the city, go to the park. Maybe bring dinner. Get together with some friends.

Even though I may have gotten home later than sitting in traffic I was in a much much better mood for not sitting in traffic whatever the reason.

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
Today I learned the importance of those goofy looking gel padded half gloves for cycling... fortunately I learned it while wearing them. Couldn’t clip out of my pedals in time and down I went. Slightly scraped knee, but my hands (which took the brunt of the fall) are perfectly fine. Whew.

That instead of an actual big bang, the Universe may have been created by being the "other side" of a black hole!

Today I learned you can set the back of the iPhone to launch an action by double or triple tapping.

Settings>Accessibility>Touch>Back Tap

Pick from the list of presets or use the shortcut app to create a custom action.

I set my dbl tap to launch the Control Center and trpl tap to turn on the flash light (with shortcut app).

Today I learned you can set the back of the iPhone to launch an action by double or triple tapping.

Settings>Accessibility>Touch>Back Tap

Pick from the list of presets or use the shortcut app to create a custom action.

I set my dbl tap to launch the Control Center and trpl tap to turn on the flash light (with shortcut app).
Very cool. Thanks

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Today, I wrote a simple PySpark query freehand, and it ran without error. My Oracle/Teradata SQL habits did not derail me once again.

Reactions: VolNExile
the bands on windsocks have a purpose

Patentyogi_wind-speeds.jpg

Can someone tell me with ceiling fans, are they universal as far as one direction for when you want it to be cooler and the other direction during the winter months? And which is which?

Can someone tell me with ceiling fans, are they universal as far as one direction for when you want it to be cooler and the other direction during the winter months? And which is which?
This question has been a point of contention in the McDad household, or was for years until we decided to drop it. I tried to find resources to explain changing the fan direction in summer and winter. The only thing I could figure out is essentially you don't want the moved air hitting your skin during cold months because it makes you feel cooler. But you do want it hitting your skin in summer for the same reason. So, we "pull" the air towards the ceiling in the winter and "push" the air towards the floor in summer.

We've simply decided to turn ours off and on when needed.

This question has been a point of contention in the McDad household, or was for years until we decided to drop it. I tried to find resources to explain changing the fan direction in summer and winter. The only thing I could figure out is essentially you don't want the moved air hitting your skin during cold months because it makes you feel cooler. But you do want it hitting your skin in summer for the same reason. So, we "pull" the air towards the ceiling in the winter and "push" the air towards the floor in summer.

We've simply decided to turn ours off and on when needed.
And *supposedly* the reverse fan direction in winter pulls cool air upward, where it mixes with warm air at the ceiling (where it does no good) and then pushes the warmed air down the walls to the frozen inhabitants. Supposedly.

the bands on windsocks have a purpose

Patentyogi_wind-speeds.jpg

Saw a similar chart yesterday about school busses. The black lines on the side indicate the floor, the seat level, and the top of the seat. They are reinforced areas and help fire fighters know where to cut open the side if need be.

And *supposedly* the reverse fan direction in winter pulls cool air upward, where it mixes with warm air at the ceiling (where it does no good) and then pushes the warmed air down the walls to the frozen inhabitants. Supposedly.
It's not supposedly. The issue is typically, based on room geometry, the mixed air can only fall outside the positive upwards pressure the fan creates. So you will warm the outside of the room. Most functions happen towards the center. By the time the air hits you it has mixed, and moves slower than sitting under a fan in a cooling condition so people dont notice the movement and dont feel warmed. Even if they are.

Depends on the tilt/design of the blades. Clockwise cant always be warm or cool.

Switching the direction the blades rotates should always flip the cooling/heating. But again there are exceptions, some fans just move air out the sides rather than up or down.

Reactions: MAD
If your vents are near the floor (heating is a priority in the winter - hot air rises), pulling the air up is useful even in summer - whenever you’re “conditioning” the air. During those months when you’re just circulating the air you have, pushing air down upon you is preferable. Thus, reversible ceiling fans.

It's not supposedly. The issue is typically, based on room geometry, the mixed air can only fall outside the positive upwards pressure the fan creates. So you will warm the outside of the room. Most functions happen towards the center. By the time the air hits you it has mixed, and moves slower than sitting under a fan in a cooling condition so people dont notice the movement and dont feel warmed. Even if they are.
Right. I should have written that *supposedly* you will feel warmer.

Reactions: LouderVol
1_gif.gif

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20

VN Store

Back