To Protect and to Serve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is dumb, do I really need law enforcement experience to know that Apache attack helicopters aren't needed either? Common sense can be used here. A military vehicle designed to repel IEDs being used on American streets is absurd. I'm sure there are other, cheaper, more appropriate vehicles needed for tactical situations for those municipalities that may legitimately need them.

Damn skippy, you could spend a fraction of the tax dollars and armor a brand new ambulance (as was mentioned above).

why? Because that's the purpose of a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle. Protect the responders from the threats they'll face but don't roll military vehicles down city streets just because you need to spend tax dollars.

So the libs have a "right" to be afraid of guns that "look" bad but are in reality nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle, but the cons can't be afraid of basically "local yokels" having military grade hardware. I guess I don't understand the logic.

The MRAP didn't cost anything to Sumner Co. or any other dept. and they have NG guys in the law enforcement depts that already know how to operate and work on it.

Yeah, I'm sure Navstar had a few sitting in the parking lot getting stale and just gave them to Sumner Co. I am quite sure my tax dollars went into this and I think it sucks ass.

Reactions: 1 person
So the libs have a "right" to be afraid of guns that "look" bad but are in reality nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle, but the cons can't be afraid of basically "local yokels" having military grade hardware. I guess I don't understand the logic.

You understand the logic just fine in that there is no logic to modern American liberalism. That's what makes a liberal, well, a liberal. The entire ideology is juvenile, nonsensical, and not grounded in reality.

sure I can. Are the current vehicles inadequate? Are rounds routinely penetrating them and causing harm to the occupants?

the silliness that Swat needs military vehicles specifically designed to resist mines is something I can't understand. The fact is that this is nothing more than a shiny new toy for some chief trying to look tough to the citizens. Being able to afford something and it being a wise purchase are much different things

The thousands purchased for DHS are a separate matter (and much scarier)

An MRAP may be just that but other APCs are not. Why does an officer need to be hit and bleed out before someone upgrades the vehicles to protect them from it? Being an officer is all about being prepared for anything before it ever happens, why sit there with lightly armored vehicles (if armored at all, most aren't) when you could upgrade to something more capable? Especially if it is within the budget?

Why does an officer need to be hit and bleed out before someone upgrades the vehicles to protect them from it? Being an officer is all about being prepared for anything before it ever happens, why sit there with lightly armored vehicles (if armored at all, most aren't) when you could upgrade to something more capable? Especially if it is within the budget?

so am I to assume from your post that it hasn't happened? Just how many times has a Swat vehicle even been targeted with gunfire?

If this is truly all about being prepared then is there a legitimate fear or threat of mines or IEDs being used by civilians?

you need to think about where that budget comes from before simply talking about being able to afford shiny things. It's not just a magical lump of money that arrives once a year. You are also allowed to not spend it all

An MRAP may be just that but other APCs are not. Why does an officer need to be hit and bleed out before someone upgrades the vehicles to protect them from it? Being an officer is all about being prepared for anything before it ever happens, why sit there with lightly armored vehicles (if armored at all, most aren't) when you could upgrade to something more capable? Especially if it is within the budget?

Dude, I don't know if you have looked lately, but I know for a fact that the MRAP isn't big enough to hold 8 ossifers from the KPD.

so am I to assume from your post that it hasn't happened? Just how many times has a Swat vehicle even been targeted with gunfire?

If this is truly all about being prepared then is there a legitimate fear or threat of mines or IEDs being used by civilians?

you need to think about where that budget comes from before simply talking about being able to afford shiny things. Its' not just a magical lump of money that arrives once a year. You are also allowed to not spend it all

^This

Yeah, I'm sure Navstar had a few sitting in the parking lot getting stale and just gave them to Sumner Co. I am quite sure my tax dollars went into this and I think it sucks ass.

you need to think about where that budget comes from before simply talking about being able to afford shiny things. It's not just a magical lump of money that arrives once a year. You are also allowed to not spend it all

You think I dont know where a budget comes from? Don't patronize me, pj. You're better than that.

This reminds me of a few years ago.

Fort Smith PD dropped 100k for additional M-16's for swat. Then bought 3 segways to write parking tickets on a 4 block stretch of road in downtown.

Two months later city asked tax payers for a penny tax increase to fix the roads. Citizens voted NO.

Citizens were pissed the city wasted money on weapons that weren't needed (and segways) then came to them with their hand out.

What a joke

Dude, I don't know if you have looked lately, but I know for a fact that the MRAP isn't big enough to hold 8 ossifers from the KPD.

Hence why I'm not talking about an MRAP. I haven't been the whole time. There are other APCs that are and that I am more in favor of purchasing. I can't imagine the need for a vehicle specifically designed to resist mines but I can definitely see the need for a bullet resistant transport vehicle.

My mom lives in gallatin. Gonna call and tell her to move. Apparently it's not safe and things are getting out of hand when the cops need vehicles like this.

Very disturbing.

This reminds me of a few years ago.

Fort Smith PD dropped 100k for additional M-16's for swat. Then bought 3 segways to write parking tickets on a 4 block stretch of road in downtown.

Two months later city asked tax payers for a penny tax increase to fix the roads. Citizens voted NO.

Citizens were pissed the city wasted money on weapons that weren't needed (and segways) then came to them with their hand out.

What a joke

Why did they buy the M-16s? To update the current weapons or to just have extras on hand?

You think I dont know where a budget comes from? Don't patronize me, pj. You're better than that.

well you're acting like since there is money available it should be spent on things that will never be utilized. That's how govt works though in that every dollar is spent to justify future budget increases.

back to the MRAP, what purpose would the mine-resistance play in normal operations? Also, since response time is often critical, why choose to go with a vehicle whose higher center of gravity makes it more susceptible to roll-overs?

Why did they buy the M-16s? To update the current weapons or to just have extras on hand?

Updated I'm sure. But the swat here already had them. Our entire police force could have one on their car and still have half the arsenal untouched.

Population here is roughly 85,000

(More people at a Tennessee game on a Saturday then live here)

well you're acting like since there is money available it should be spent on things that will never be utilized. That's how govt works though in that every dollar is spent to justify future budget increases.

back to the MRAP, what purpose would the mine-resistance play in normal operations? Also, since response time is often critical, why choose to go with a vehicle whose higher center of gravity makes it more susceptible to roll-overs?

I'm not sure, an MRAP wouldn't be my first choice either.

Last edited:
Updated I'm sure. But the swat here already had them. Our entire police force could have one on their car and still have half the arsenal untouched.

Population here is roughly 85,000

(More people at a Tennessee game on a Saturday then live here)

That's odd...I wonder why they didn't just issue them to the patrolmen. That's what our department did and its been a big hit.

How do you like my MRAP. Several mid-state depts got one also. Free of charge btw. Ours is in the process of being painted black. I'm trying to talk the chief into putting shark teeth on the front. The first thing we did was drive through the projects. May I suggest if this awesome beast pulls in front of your house, just lay down and quietly surrender.

View attachment 66650

It's been rehashed over and over in this thread, but wow, these things are a colossal waste of money for police departments.

From a Time article: "The average MRAP costs about $1 million"

The MRAP: Brilliant Buy, or Billions Wasted? | TIME.com

I think they report most all major crime. Shoot outs and blood sell.

Traffic stops, not so much but how often is an armored vehicle needed for a speeding ticket?

Or to obtain business documents from Gibson Guitar?

Once they are on the streets, they have to be used to be justified.

Can't wait to see one of the local councilman or politicians make an appearance like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back